1904 Queen Anne - Frank Eby House - South Bend, IN - 3rd year in

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
SouthBend
Settling in

1904 Queen Anne - Frank Eby House - South Bend, IN - 3rd year in

Post by SouthBend »

Hello everyone.. Came across your forum a couple times while Googling but more recently have been listening to the True Stories From Old Homes podcast, where you're referenced a few different times. Thought I would introduce myself. My wife and I moved into this house almost 3 years ago. We're in our early 30's. We weren't even looking to move originally but we were instead looking at homes for my brother who was going to be moving back to our hometown. We went to look at a few other houses on the same street when the owner mentioned that she would also be selling her primary residence later that Summer and went we took the tour we fell in love instantly.

The house was in fairly immaculate condition inside with no painted trim on the main floor and really no interior projects that "needed" to be done before move in. Obviously since moving in, I've managed to spend nearly every weekend on various projects, mostly enjoyable, but some necessary like correcting siding/paint issues on the 3rd level and the small carriage house. Looking forward to taking the time to dive into some conversations on this forum and hopefully pick the brains of other passionate people who I'm sure are more knowledgeable than me. There are photos below or some additional in this link, some of which might be old or from the day we walked through. https://imgur.com/a/nHg7l2F

Figured I could try to describe the house myself....or just copy and paste the write-up from the historical application.
"The house is two-and-a-half stories tall. It has side gables and a slightly lower, wide center front gable. The home has a
brick foundation and clapboards covering its walls. The bottom of the second story's walls flare out slightly; there are
corner boards on the first story walls but none on the second story walls. The gables have wood shingles and partial
cornice returns that are supported by carved wood brackets. The tops of the gables have a triangular section of wall that
projects forward and is supported by modillions. The triangular wall bows outward slightly and a diamond design is located
near the top of the front gable. The house has wood soffits and a narrow cornice on its eaves; the roof is covered with
fiberglass shingles. A tall brick chimney is located west of the front gable. The windows are wood in a combination of
double-hung windows and single sashes.

The front facade has a full-width porch with concrete steps centered with the front gable and framed between short brick
walls with stone caps. Brick piers with stone caps support groups of three Doric columns at each corner of the porch and
on each side of the center entry. The porch has a wood floor and a balustrade between the piers with wood picket style
balusters and wood handrails. The columns support a tall cornice with a row of dentils along the soffits of the porch roof.
The porch roof is a low-sloped hipped roof with a pedimented entry over the steps. The entry door is wood with a
decorative wood screen door to its outside. The entry has a side lite on each side of the door. A tall cornice with wood
dentils covers the door and side lites. A large picture window with a transom is centered in the first story wall east of the
entry and a large picture window with a narrow window on each side is centered in the wall west of the entry.
The second story's front wall projects slightly forward where the center gable is located. Centered in the wall is a pair of
windows with wide trim boards recessed deeply into the wall. The windows have hexagonal and diamond-shaped designs
created by wood mullions. Centered in the walls east and west of the pair of windows is a 1/1 window. Centered in the
gable wall is a 12/12 window that is deeply recessed into the wall. The wood shingles curve inward from the wall to the
window. A wood balcony railing is in front of the window and curves outward slightly from the wall.

The home was constructed in 1904, on a lot that had been purchased with an older home located on it for $7500. Frank
Eby was born in Lebanon County, PAin 1856. He moved to Elkhart, Indiana and became a representative of the Singer
Sewing Machine Company. In 1892, he became associated with Armour & Co. Meat Packing of Chicago, later becoming
branch manager and the dean of Armour Credit supervisors. Frank and his wife, Anna, had their home constructed in
1904. He became the president of the South Bend Chamber of Commerce and was active in other civic organizations.
He died in 1928, and the funeral was held in the home.
1.jpg
1.jpg (147.96 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (378.69 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (455.31 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (321.21 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (333.95 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (270.35 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (206.83 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (236.72 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (232.65 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (294.59 KiB) Viewed 1797 times

Gothichome

Re: 1904 Queen Anne - Frank Eby House - South Bend, IN - 3rd year in

Post by Gothichome »

Southbend, welcome to the District, May I say you have a beautiful home, nice colour palette and five colours to boot. Really nice to see a home of its age with out white paint on the trim. The previous owners were old home folks, and so are you it would seem.
I see a touch of Craftsman style creeping into your home in the dinning room. That’s one of the nice things about turn of the century Queen Anne style homes, a mix of the old in a very late Victorian style mixing with the newest wave of home designs in the A&C movement.
Look forward to further discussions and stories about your old home. We like pictures here in the District. Ask us questions or give us answers, there is not much (old home related) that some one here hasn’t taken on.
Once agin welcome.
Ron

SouthBend
Settling in

Post by SouthBend »

Thanks Ron, the colors were really confusing, especially since my record consisted of old school polaroids with writing over then.

First thing I did was open every paint can in the basement, stir, and sharpie the paint colors on the the sticks so I'd at least have a reference. There's 4 different shades of purple alone.... Cabernet, Vintage Wine, Grape Juice, and Wet Concrete. Plus it doesn't help that the SW paint match (names are Benjamin Moore I think) has changed slightly in the last decade.
IMG_20200229_212720.jpg
IMG_20200229_212720.jpg (236.7 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
IMG_20200229_130148.jpg
IMG_20200229_130148.jpg (337.38 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Attachments
IMG_20200229_130134.jpg
IMG_20200229_130134.jpg (187.87 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I love the woodwork , one detail that i really like is how they chose to bring the upper cabinet out in the corner near the window to increase cupboard space. It shows how even in a modern kitchen just a little customization can break the monotonous norm and add some life to it. The cabinets look like they were made for the space rather than being standard boring boxes.

SouthBend
Settling in

Post by SouthBend »

Funnily enough, the kitchen is one of the few things that are not original but were put in my the previous owner is the 70s, Mr. Crowfoot. Found multiple pages of blueprints he had done. Various built-ins around the kitchen are original though. He was an incredible homeowner... Should be the patron saint of old houses. He restored the house with every principle that people talk about today..
but 50 years ago. Balanced central heat/air, windows and storms work wonderfully, refinished all interior woodwork, lead remediation down to bare wood on the windows, insulated, rewired, etc.

Here's one of the blueprints
Kitchen Blueprint 1.png
Kitchen Blueprint 1.png (2.7 MiB) Viewed 1732 times

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Adding my welcome! :wave:

Absolutely lovely home, stunning details. Did you get to keep some of those marvelous ceiling light fixtures? We were lucky in that some of the originals remained when we bought our home, but others had been replaced with Box Store specials (which we're working towards replacing). Thank you for all the pictures and even the later blueprint too.

I am envious of your garage. Ours is a rather bland concrete block later addition--though at least we have the original wood and glass door on the front and it has an interesting large metal window on the west side (that needs some refreshing).

Feel free to drop in the Park Ave. section when you're ready to talk about that magnificent garden. :mrgreen:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

SouthBend
Settling in

Post by SouthBend »

Lily left the valley wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:04 am Adding my welcome! :wave:

Absolutely lovely home, stunning details. Did you get to keep some of those marvelous ceiling light fixtures? We were lucky in that some of the originals remained when we bought our home, but others had been replaced with Box Store specials (which we're working towards replacing). Thank you for all the pictures and even the later blueprint too.

I am envious of your garage. Ours is a rather bland concrete block later addition--though at least we have the original wood and glass door on the front and it has an interesting large metal window on the west side (that needs some refreshing).

Feel free to drop in the Park Ave. section when you're ready to talk about that magnificent garden. :mrgreen:
There are only one or two ceiling fixtures like the one above the staircase that are original EDIT: plus the 4 globe fixtures in the dining room ceiling. There are two more modern unobtrusive fixtures, one in the foyer when you come in, and one off in the "family room" but they at least match and don't stick out. There are many many sconces though, like this one.
Light.jpg
Light.jpg (246.35 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
Or these sort upstairs
IMG_20191119_192800947.jpg
IMG_20191119_192800947.jpg (74.32 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
IMG_20191119_192753564.jpg
IMG_20191119_192753564.jpg (113.25 KiB) Viewed 1709 times

As for the garage, that was one of my bigger projects last year. Straightened/trued the structure up, added bracing, replaced rotten sill board, took almost all the paint off down to bare wood, etc.

For the first time I made a decision against the historical character of the house by removing (but saving) the swing out carriage doors, because the opening and doors themselves had seen 8 decades of bastardization, it was difficult to find hinges capable of supporting their weight (for under $800 hinges alone) that wouldn't continue to put alot of stress of the structure, and we get snow here where overhead is great for actually utilizing the "garage" so we made the ultimate decision to put in a true wood (insulated in the middle) overhead door.
IMG_20200406_220407.jpg
IMG_20200406_220407.jpg (118.02 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
IMG_20200330_190405.jpg
IMG_20200330_190405.jpg (316.05 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
IMG_20190814_135007482_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190814_135007482_HDR.jpg (335.22 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
IMG_20200419_140341.jpg
IMG_20200419_140341.jpg (235.75 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
IMG_20200502_223205.jpg
IMG_20200502_223205.jpg (169.62 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
IMG_20200628_111055.jpg
IMG_20200628_111055.jpg (199.32 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
IMG_20200810_173955.jpg
IMG_20200810_173955.jpg (205.35 KiB) Viewed 1714 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nice job on the garage Southbend, there is a lot of scraping in that job. If those are not the original swing doors, is it a one piece open up door? It certainly looks to be original to the age of the garage.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Oh, one other question is that a heritage designation plaque I see on the front steps?

SouthBend
Settling in

Post by SouthBend »

IMG_20200330_190332.jpg
IMG_20200330_190332.jpg (152.71 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Gothichome wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:23 am Nice job on the garage Southbend, there is a lot of scraping in that job. If those are not the original swing doors, is it a one piece open up door? It certainly looks to be original to the age of the garage.
There were two swing out doors that met in the middle, which could have been original to the carriage house (technically called) but they had had - three iterations of hinges put on, multiple pockets, some surface mount.
- rot on the bottom and joints coming apart.
- cut and scabbed multiple times so the fit was garbage.
- they weigh about 200# each I think, and hung about 5 ft each so they put a lot of levered stress on the structure and new hinged rated for this force were like $300 each for some reason, x6.

I cleaned up the doors and have them in storage, but put up a wood overhead door that is in three segments. It is lifted by a belt drive OH operator so it's very gentle on the door. Goal for my wife to actually be able to park in there in the winters, especially taking two little kids to daycare/preschool.

I understand it's a bit sacrilegious but didn't corrected the structure lean, and required the opening, nothing that can't be undone should someone want to rehang the original doors.