1904 Queen Anne - Frank Eby House - South Bend, IN - 3rd year in

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
SouthBend
Settling in

Re: 1904 Queen Anne - Frank Eby House - South Bend, IN - 3rd year in

Post by SouthBend »

Gothichome wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:40 am Oh, one other question is that a heritage designation plaque I see on the front steps?
That would be a plaque for a local historic landmark in my county. The street is on the national registry then with my house/carriage house as a contributing property. Nothing else worth pursuing then right? My understanding is the street being on the registry unlocks all federal incentives.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southbend, not sure how the perks for being in a historic district work in the US. In Canada for the most part it just limits what can be built in the neighbourhood, also stops random demolition of homes in that area with out going though a city, town (or what ever) administration. In Ontario though if the individual home is designated there are financial perks to be had, mostly in a large cut in your property taxes. But the other edge of that sword is insurances and mortgage issues.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

SouthBend wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:41 pm
Gothichome wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:40 am Oh, one other question is that a heritage designation plaque I see on the front steps?
That would be a plaque for a local historic landmark in my county. The street is on the national registry then with my house/carriage house as a contributing property. Nothing else worth pursuing then right? My understanding is the street being on the registry unlocks all federal incentives.
Interesting in regards to the federal incentives. When we moved here, I was told there was a historical society, but as I found out later when I met a member that is part of it, the society is not about the houses in our small city. I'm honestly still not completely certain what they do, and when the city redid their website, the link to it got buried and I only could find it again because I had a bookmark. Our house isn't historically significant as far as style (working class bungalow) or former occupants, so I don't even know if we could qualify for such even with the state.

Really nice work on the garage. We still have our original wood siding on our house under the later added shingles. Some day, the later addition siding will come off. I'm just worried they removed all the window trim to fit in the 1/4" foil backed insulation board between the two. I'm both excited and fearful to see what lurks beneath. I do know what the original siding looks like because they built the bulky exit later, they left the siding on most of the outer wall enclosed within (they scavenged some to side the exit.) There's also some siding that cracked and fell off on both the porch skirt and one corner of the bottom of a bulky exit wall where we could see more of it as well.

The dining room globes were the ones that did catch my eye in particular. :D We have some sconces I had bought (modern but old fashioned looking) that I used at a small studio I had many years ago. I still haven't figured out where to put them, as our house hasn't told me yet. Beebe may hate them for all I know, and eventually I'll get rid of them if that turns out to be the case.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

aislinn
Knows the area

Post by aislinn »

Your house is gorgeous! I went to Notre Dame, and always loved the old houses of South Bend. We have similar woodwork in our house and original windows and I am so thankful to previous owners for giving this home so much love over the last 100 years!

TechieTechie
Just Arrived

Post by TechieTechie »

Welcome...and what an unbelievably beautiful home. Even the kitchen, tho modern, blends in with the house. And, nice job on the garage. Not many would but that much care into an accessory structure. Don't be a stranger :)