Our "new" old house

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Gothichome

Re: Our "new" old house

Post by Gothichome »

Teleports are great things. I had the same issue as you, when they ran the gas and well service lines they took out about eight feet of brick under pinning from a main load bearing wall. I had about 1 1/2 inch sag. Pored a couple footings and installed teleposts. Every year I gave the screw about a quarter turn until I had taken up the sack.
Glad you have now settled in and have become comfortable with the flow of your old home, most times these old homes just work as is, no need to open concept and tear out walls.
If it was I, I would have that vinyl off in a jiffy, and nice period paint on the exterior, but that’s just me. Just have a look at a couple of the regular posters homes and the difference a proper period paint can make.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12094
viewhtopic.php?f=10&t=157

There are many more, these two come to mind.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I don't know how I missed it before, but I love your porch swing! :romance-hearteyes:

It's good to hear your home feels "just right". I do think as folks have stopped cooking as often, the flow gets lost along the way.

It took us a while to start to feel settled in, and even now after a few years we're still not quite there, but a lot closer.

Sorry to hear about all the structural damage! We have some settlement we'll need to address in the coming years. Fortunately, we already had some of the temp hollow type columns in our cellar when we bought the home, though we found out during inspection you're only supposed to have permanent filled style ones now.

Speaking of old timey AC...we're fairly lucky in our home's orientation and how it's shaded in summer. We use the double hung sashes to capture cross breezes, plus the same combo of open cellar windows combined with an upstairs fan. We do have a window AC that we've only used 2 years in August so far in our south western corner office due to the computers.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

TechieTechie
Just Arrived

Post by TechieTechie »

Welcome! My family is from Garrettsville and Warren, I know your area well. Glad to hear you found the sources of the structural issues, sounds like they will be fairly easy to rectify (slow and steady, so as not to crack the plaster!). Looking forward to more pictures, particularly inside :)