New to the district

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
MJ1987
Been here a while

Re: New to the district

Post by MJ1987 »

jhartrx wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:32 pm Hi Folks!

I own what could best be described as a venacular interpretation of a greek revival cape in northeast Connecticut. Date of build is something of a conundrum. Existing hardware and design elements appear to be not prior to 1830 generally. Town says it was built 1789 - possibly an anticedent structure in this man's opinion. In their defense the visible sills contain what appear to be scribe ruled mortises. That's about it if true though. Posts and rails are cut with a broad axe and flattened on two sides. Floor joists and what modern builders call studs were executed with a reciprocating saw. Nothing I have yet seen in the framing bear pit or circular blade marks. Plan is to restore home to an 1840s appreance
With allowance for things my wife insists on (heat, electricity and some sort of AC solution which I haven't found yet).

Anyway I have a plaster problem I need help with. Does that get posted here or somewhere else on the board.

Best,

John
Welcome, John! My hometown (Paramus, NJ) still has a few Revolutionary War-era homes. They're mostly red sandstone houses that have framed wings. My understanding is that the wing portion of those houses is often the earliest part and was constructed (relatively) quickly while they were busy--often, for years--chiseling and making flat all the faces of the stones that made up the front facade. Build dates are often inaccurate. Real-estate listings only serve to further confuse and complicate the narrative. At any rate, most--if not all--of these houses are now quite different from the way they were built. In Paramus, many houses had standard gable roofs but ultimately added the typical Dutch Gambrel when it came into fashion (and when time and money permitted).

Bottom line, the earlier the build date, the more fun it is to discuss and tout. But it sounds like you've made a sound decision about the 1840s appearance. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham