New to site

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Calvert
Just Arrived

New to site

Post by Calvert »

Good day everyone.
I have worked in the field of architectural restoration for 40 years and am now instructing students in the art of plastering. Hope to help others here with some sage advise on plaster or woodwork projects that they may be engaged in.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: New to site

Post by phil »

Thanks for joining Calvert.
Is there something in particular you want to teach your students about plaster?

I did a couple of jobs on my house where I used plaster to create curves and made up paddles for the radius i wanted to lay the plaster and also to sand with. I restored one plaster room but for the most part found I wanted insulation. In some homes with round rooms and things like that the plaster lends itself nicely. you can also mix drywall mud with plaster so it can be applied thick. or you can make molds using it for medallions or fake moldings. another thing you can do is add carpenters glue to drywall mud and that creates a rock hard substance.

i restored one room that was plaster , removed wallpaper, washed off the old calcime paint ( it dissolves in water) taped and fixed all the cracks. By the time I was done it looked flat as drywall and no one can tell the difference. In some houses the waviness of it creates a distorted effect that some like. If it's a museum, or a house with historic importance I can see restoring it.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Calvert, welcome to the District, a man of your skills will sure be questioned by many here, most of us still have plaster in our old homes. I have several. But I will not task you for answers yet. But maybe another day,
Once again, welcome.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Welcome, Calvert! I have come to LOVE the base/scratch coat but loath the lime coat. Mixing the latter perfectly and keeping it from getting rock hard has proven to be a major issue for me in the past. Pointers and expertise would be much appreciated!

Again, welcome!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham