1810 Plank construction Greek Revival

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
OldHomeOfMine
Just Arrived

1810 Plank construction Greek Revival

Post by OldHomeOfMine »

Hello,
I heard about this forum when I was listening to a podcast, True Tales from Old Houses.
My wife and I bought our house in 2012 and only really started working on it a few years ago.
The house was built in 1810, we think as lodging for farm laborers.

Around 1855 we have this drawing of the property (courtesy of the town historical society) showing the house similar to how it looks now, although the front door had been moved when the front windows were changed out (circa 1900).

While working on the house I have discovered the walls are just thick wood planks with siding nailed on the outside and plaster on the inside. I had never heard of plank construction before and research has led me here as I see some posts with plank wall box houses like mine.

At least now I know how they were able to install the "pocket windows" on the second floor.

There are a lot of windows to repair and doors to sand. Right now I am rebuilding the front portico as time and water have taken their toll:

Glad to be a part of a community that values old homes.

Kevin
http://www.instagram.com/oldhomeofmine/

Gothichome

Re: 1810 Plank construction Greek Revival

Post by Gothichome »

Kevin, welcome to the District. Does that drawing ever look like your home. It would seem over 190 years all that has changed is the rail over the side veranda but you gained some nice cresting. Looks like you also lost the central chimney. Do still have the fireplace that went with the chimney.

OldHomeOfMine
Just Arrived

Post by OldHomeOfMine »

A newer fireplace was installed on the end of the house, probably in the 50’s or 60’s. At least it’s a functional wood-burner, nice in the winter. There is a connected garage that was added onto the back of the house but not visible from the street. Working on the front now and might try to bring back that original railing look. If not now, definitely in the future.
We are definitely lucky that the updates done to the house have been pretty basic (heat, electric, water) and the structure was decently maintained over the years.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

interesting house. I thought the cast iron window coverings were interesting. I guess at that time they could lock the shutters and shoot out of the upper windows if they were under attack ;-)

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

I love your house! I've seen similar grates on the eyebrow windows in my area (upstate NY), and they always catch my eye.