1900s American Foursquare

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: A Slightly Premature Hello

Post by phil »

GinaC wrote: The turning point came when I was fussing over a fear of something or other, and my realtor just said, "So you fix it."

That would ave made me discredit anything the realtor said past that point.
They make money off the sale so they are in a conflict of interest. I always think of them as the ones that provide the keys.
what really steams me is when they try to block communications between the existing owner and the client. especially with old houses, the history and details about what has been done aren't easily transferable if the realtor attempts to act as a filter. Being a historian you'd probably gather lots from such a conversation.

Better to just knock on the door without them, speak to the owner and get first hand info if you can. They try to prevent that so they can filter the conversation and to prevent you from making a deal to de-list and cut the agent out of the commission.

I'd at least make a offer with a subject to inspection and then you can ask the owner if you can remove some siding to check and if he wouldn't let you do that it might say a lot about what is hidden. That way you have an out if you don't like what the inspector reports. You might get a humidity probe in there in various places.
I'd also try to get permission to open the panel and to check in some boxes to see if they made a hack job of the wiring , unless it looks original and you plan to upgrade from K and T, in which case it is likely to be a total rewire. I'd look at some part that isn't; obvious like ask to inspect the wiring to the porch light, drop the lamp and look in the pot and see the condition there. The kitchen is where lots of people do crazy stuff because homeowners think they know how to do it all themselves but don't and often there have been changes done by unqualified people. If you find the wires in the panel are different than other wires, be suspicious of why that is and where they were joined. Is the sewer pipe new or is that a problem waiting to be dug up? does it run under things you'd hate to loose like a nice garden or a workshop ?

if you get one inspection done , use the checklist when you do your own inspections upon first look, itll point out stuff like loking around the perimeter to see if they buried sill plates. stuff you might not think of immediately but can be int he habit of seeing once you are tuned into the potential. If you go through a full inspection it can be worth the cost even if you dont buy it. - again the agent shouldn't recommend the inspector, they may be in partnership through referrals.

Be suspicious even if they are real nice ! you dont have to let on that you are skeptical, or rude, just be wary. It's your money.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

phil wrote:That would ave made me discredit anything the realtor said past that point.
They make money off the sale so they are in a conflict of interest. I always think of them as the ones that provide the keys.
what really steams me is when they try to block communications between the existing owner and the client. especially with old houses, the history and details about what has been done aren't easily transferable if the realtor attempts to act as a filter. Being a historian you'd probably gather lots from such a conversation.

Better to just knock on the door without them, speak to the owner and get first hand info if you can. They try to prevent that so they can filter the conversation and to prevent you from making a deal to de-list and cut the agent out of the commission.

When a realtor signs a legally binding contract to represent you, the buyer, if they are guilty of any of this, you can take them to court and, most likely, win.

I should also point out that my realtor had her handyman, who is a retired inspector, come and meet us at the house and walk through so we could discuss anything that I saw. She also arranged a meeting at the house with the owner so that I could ask him any questions about the house.

Not all realtors are bad.
1939 Minimal Traditional

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

I'm very lucky to have a father with a realtor's license, so he's acting as my broker and there's no angling for a commission on his end! And the seller has most likely been renting the place out rather than living in it (nearly everything in my price range has been rented, or is being sold with renters already/still in place - this is a double-college town and there are a lot of rental properties). I went looking up old deeds to get a picture of its past, and between that, visual appraisal of the interior, and the Sanborn maps I have a pretty decent idea of when most of the renovations happened. Because there was no family transmission after 1900 or so, I don't think the current owner would likely have much to add.

Seeing if the inspection can include checking under the siding is a good idea, though.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

true that not all realtors are bad. I looked for a long time in a hot market and I felt like I tired out the realtor but it was a learning curve with a few offers falling through and houses selling way above asking prices.
I remember looking at more than one house I was interested in where the scenario was that I had to visit three times to see inside each suite and because it was rented, the way it was divided was weird so it was a bit of a puzzle to put together how it all fit. with one it turned out that one of the tenant had been there a long time and loved her deep fryer. I took one look at the grease on everything and thought no way I'm cleaning this up! Then I found mine I took a walk through and knew I wanted it. I didn't even ask for an inspection. It wasn't well maintained at all but at least the bones had been seriously altered. a lot near me are because of rent prices, so many have unprofessional divisions. I had some surprises right away like a plugged sewer, but overall it was what I expected. I probably had an over optimistic expectation about how quickly I could rebuild a whole house by myself but it has been mostly a good experience none the less.

I was at city hall and they had these overlays they could do, areal photography so they could flip between years and instantly see new additions and such over time.
I never met the owners of mine, so didn't get any history. It might have been that the seller didn't want a lot of contact. now, with physical distancing I'm sure there are even more challenges. All city hall could tel me was they had a permit on file that said "build shed" and another that said "build house" they didn't even need to submit a plan back then I guess, and they had no records of any permits pulled.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Welcome, Cassidy! :wave:

I have been itching to take off our later added siding, but so far my Floor Manager has been firm in his "not yet" responses.

Also, don't worry about being premature. What I thought was likely going to be a one and done old house search I started my original Neighborhood Introductions thread in, ended up a long thread of house hunting before we managed to snag our current home which really was what I was looking for all along (a bungalow, which the first house was not). It got to the point that once we did close on it, some folks were confused as to which one we finally ended up with at the end. So I started a new intro. :lol:

Fair warning: we love pictures. We will request them often. You can set up a free gallery here from your User Control Panel. There are some image related guides in the Clerk of Works subforum if you need a walk through.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

Hi, Lily!

Embarrassingly, it was premature, because I lost out. My lowball offer was turned down with a soft counteroffer, and I waited too long to respond because everyone else in my family was negative about the house. I found out when I was checking up on the MLS and saw it listed as contingent. Very sad for a few days, and it took me a while to really get over it. My plans (as you can see) were pretty developed and I was really attached.

Since then, I took an interest in two very different places:

1) A duplex built in 1920. The good points - magnificent woodwork, including original cabinetry in the kitchens and pillars between the living room and dining room; upstairs is fully renovated in a good way; clawfoot bathtub; perfect location in relation to downtown, very near where I live right now; wood and shingle siding. The bad points - the lot is basically the size of the house, without even a pull-in space; downstairs stripped clean and needs a lot of work to finish; right in the middle of the student rental district (when they come back from the bars at 1 am they're so loud :( ).

2) A 1.75 story house otherwise a lot like the one I was originally looking at. Upsides? Structurally sound; not in the middle of serious renovation; a big yard and a driveway (even if no garage yet); original woodwork under the paint. Downsides? A lot of cheap landlord fixes; aluminum siding; 1960s parquetry; old furnace.

I have an offer being considered on the former and was just coming around to preferring the latter when it went right from under my feet. Almost everything in my price range that's priced appropriately goes within a week, which is troubling for me as it takes me several days to convince myself to like a place enough to be willing to take out a six-figure mortgage! I'm even rethinking the offer on the duplex because it would be so much to take on.

Lily left the valley

We were looking at older build year fixer uppers, which around here go fairly fast even though we're not in a hot area. Many are bought by flippers who then destroy their character. :cry: The upside of flippers is you can dumpster dive and curb scout to get all sorts of choice bits that you might want/need. (Like our recent door find!)

Take heart about your first loss. My own whirlwind experience in first time old home buying overall certainly made me realize that anything can happen.

For instance, we actually didn't even have a chance to bid on our current home after the first viewing before the seller had closed offers--within three days of it being listed! I was in tears over it, Sean did his best to console me. (The tears no doubt were helped along due to a bizarre incident regarding a cat.) Yet it must have been meant to be because as another house we won the bid on was deteriorating into way more drama than we signed on for, Beebe was back on the market a month later and here we are. :dance:

Me personally, I'd never put an offer down on the duplex. We bought with the intent of having land for a garden and here off street parking is gold because of seasonal snow removal parking bans. As a former college student in a college town...I understand your concerns, on top of the downstairs work needed.

Do you have a deadline you need to buy by? We didn't, and I know that helped us mentally during the search.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

I don't have a deadline - after I told my landlord that I wanted to buy a house, we were able to work out an agreement where I'll give her two months notice to give her time to find a new tenant and she won't enact any penalties for breaking my lease. It's a very good thing because I'm already so stressed out about just finding the right house and being able to get it - since I posted the last comment, I got attached to and then lost #2, and then fell in love with a house based solely on the MLS photos and lost it as well. I've also lost the duplex, but I deliberately didn't try very hard there. Thanks for your encouragement!

Lily left the valley

Having that worked out with your landlord is fantastic.

Right now, you're still behind our tally ;-)

I think it went...Cape (offer, negotiation breakdown, walked away), Bungalow (off market before bid), Dutch Colonial Revival (no offer), another Cape (no offer), Mid Century Modern Ranch (offer, 2nd in line, winning bid bought it), Carpenter Gothic with a later MCM addition (accepted offer, nightmare permit issues, walked away), with the Bungalow coming back on the market during the permit nightmare, and here we are.

When I checked back in our hunt thread to do the tally, someone mentioned a friend that had made 11 offers that went nowhere due to being out bid with cash offers. I still can't imagine going through that!

Keep us posted.

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

The ball is rolling again! I've put in an offer for the asking price, so I think this time it will go through. The house is a nice Foursquare with cedar shakes, a front porch and back deck, and a small garage. I don't have my own photo, so here's the realtor's:

Lovely front door:

And you walk in to see a beautiful staircase and set of French doors:

The kitchen's a great size, the windows are ORIGINAL! (nearly every house I've looked at has had the cheapest and ugliest white vinyl) as is nearly all the woodwork. At the same time, there's work to be done: linoleum in the kitchen and upstairs, acoustic tiles/wood paneling here and there, semi-finished basement that just needs to be ... unfinished (I have never seen such warped panels).

I need to get a small stained glass window for the stairs:

I'm very excited!
Last edited by chocolatepot on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.