the Nut House

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
bonesyjonesy
Just Arrived

the Nut House

Post by bonesyjonesy »

Three of us bought a house built in 1870. It's big. My oldest child named it the Nut House, because he thinks we are nuts for buying it at our advanced ages ! We love it.
Thanks for having me here. I hope to read lots of stories about houses, furniture, etc. I love Victorian and older.

Gothichome

Re: the Nut House

Post by Gothichome »

Well hello and welcome to the District. We have adult children as well who think we are just a bit off our rocker for owning an old home. I tell them when I go it’ll be all theirs, the just role their eyes. :roll:
You will be in good company here, lots of interesting homes and folks who have done almost everything old home related so lots of information to be gleaned.
Tell us more of your old home and post a picture or two or three, the more the better we like pictures.
Ron

bonesyjonesy
Just Arrived

Post by bonesyjonesy »

I haven't taken many pics of the Nut House. We have done lots of work on it though. We've restored the wrap around porch out front, (and found the original 1870 porch foundation under it !). Had to take down original carriage house. It could not be restored. Had a new barn built with features like the house has. It looks fabulous. Got the back porch concrete floor poured in November, The new posts get started on tomorrow. Had a garden shed built and installed in back yard. New steps for every exterior door all around the house. (those Victorians loved lots of exterior doors ). Up-dated the kitchen a few years ago. Been slowly taking up the yucky wall to wall carpet room by room. Had new quarter round installed three weeks ago. We discovered wide plank, red oak flooring under the ugly carpet. It's in pretty good condition. Putting in a new second floor bath in September of this year, (at least that's the plan. been waiting to do that for eight years).
We are fortunate that the house was 80% intact when we bought it. It was built in 1870. The newel post in the first floor foyer was made from one big red oak tree. Our wood worker told us it was turned on a pedal lathe, and is hand carved. It's the largest newel post I've ever seen.
When I write that the house was about 80% intact doesn't mean it has NO problems. The previous owner lived here 34 years. He was a certified electrician. Man oh man, the horror we have found in the electrical system. Little by little we are correcting it. It's safe now, but needs more up-grades to the service. Plus, caulk was previous owners special fix everything gunk. We've picked lots of caulk off of, and out of everything. He even used caulk and white duck tape to hold the fret work in place in the front third story gable, ( I guess he didn't realize how heavy and large it is). It came down in pieces. That's been restored also, (that was a three year process. our wood worker is in high demand)
This house is a labor of love. We are just like most old house people in the area of money. When we have enough, we get something important done to this house. When we don't , well, y'all know how that goes.
We are blessed beyond measure to live in this big, old house. We plan to die here, and then it goes to the children ! HA!!!
Merry Christmas to all of you from The Nut House. (and may Santa leave you a big bunch of cash to work on your houses....we can dream......)

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I'm going to check for cash under the tree on Wednesday!

Your house sounds terrific and your children should understand that what brings you joy should make them happy too. (Frankly, I think they're a little nuts for not understanding that.)

I look forward to many many pictures of your house, especially that newel post!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Bonsey, sounds a lot like Gothichome when we bought but without a carriage shed to tear down (long gone), a porch to rebuild (long gone), gingerbread lattice to repair (long gone) carpet to remove (never had), or a newel post the size of a small tree. We did have electrics to deal with though. But other than these small differences just like your home. Oh, and the always present money no time, or time but no money scenario. :lol:
But I do look forward to the pictures of your labour of love.
Ron

bonesyjonesy
Just Arrived

Post by bonesyjonesy »

Thanks for the replies. I will post pics soon. Posts for back porch are going up nicely....much easier than we thought they would.
Manalto...I do hope you find a gift of big cash under the tree Wednesday morning !!!!!

bonesyjonesy
Just Arrived

Post by bonesyjonesy »

I hope to post pics on New Years day. I will have time and energy that day. The new porch posts are up and steady. Looks good out the back door. Never thought the roof supports were ever going to be taken down, (they were up for four years).
Happy New Year to all of you !

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Looking forward to seeing them!

bonesyjonesy
Just Arrived

Post by bonesyjonesy »

I've got photos, but darned if I can figure out how to post them. Help please ! thanks.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

This is how I do it with an iPad.
Create and album in the gallery section of the District.
In the gallery you can upload your picture, click upload.
You will get several options to source your picture from, I chose ‘photos’ it will open up your pictures from your drive.
Click the pictures that you wish to upload into your gallery. With an I pad I need to click done. Your upload selection will then display
Click ‘upload’ and the magic happens .
To post into a thread
In the ‘editor& preview’ window of your post at the bottom there will be an option to attach your pictures to your post, click it
Your gallery pictures will pop up, click the image you wish to post
On the right side of the image you will get several image address formats.
On the iPad I select copy all of the address from the bottom address
Come back to your post and paste
it into your post.
When you submit your post it will show up as a smaller image, to get a larger image I modify the extension of the address from ‘mini’to ‘source’. It should now show a full size image in your post.

Yes it is a bit cumbersome to post a picture from an iPad not sure how those folks using windows make it happen. ‘ lilyfromthe valley’ has a post which probably explains it better.
Here is the link for windows.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=70

Ron