A passing owner of old homes

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
jank50
Just Arrived

A passing owner of old homes

Post by jank50 »

Excited that I stumbled onto this site. We've lived for 31 years in an 1801 house in Westchester County, NY and I'm still working on it! Now my goal is to sell it within 2 years and move to a house we just bought in Rutland, VT, near my married son. That house is an 1804 home that resulted from a barn being mated to an existing home. Lots to do, especially in the area of windows. I'm an amateur in household repairs, but eager to learn. Have pity on a man with two mortgages and tools scattered across two house - never where you need them!

:character-oldtimer:

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Re: A passing owner of old homes

Post by PaulJohnson »

Welcome welcome welcome ... I am new to the forum and have found the information and people wonderful.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Welcome and enjoy the journey!

One of the requirements of membership is that you post photos of your house(s). ;-)

OurPhillyRow
Settling in

Post by OurPhillyRow »

Welcome!
This is a great community, and there are some very knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Like mjt said... Pictures please! :popcorn:
Devyn - Old House Lover
1852 Brick Rowhouse - Philadelphia

jank50
Just Arrived

Post by jank50 »

Thanks for the welcome. Posted pictures of my homes to my "jank50" gallery.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jank50, welcome to the District, moving all the way up to a 1804 home, just wanted something modern? :lol:
As mentioned by others, almost every restoration or repair task has been accomplished by some one here, and we are happy to help out.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Welcome to our group! I think you will find the folks here helpful and encouraging along the way.

Wow! Two house projects! We would love to see some pictures :-D

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

[quote="jank50" I'm an amateur in household repairs, but eager to learn. Have pity on a man with two mortgages and tools scattered across two house - never where you need them!

:character-oldtimer:[/quote]

the trick is to go to garage sales and buy so many screwdrivers, hammers and pry bars that you cant' possibly loose them all at once ;) forget the levels and plumb bobs though they will only frustrate you.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

phil wrote:[quote="jank50" I'm an amateur in household repairs, but eager to learn. Have pity on a man with two mortgages and tools scattered across two house - never where you need them!

the trick is to go to garage sales and buy so many screwdrivers, hammers and pry bars that you cant' possibly loose them all at once ;) forget the levels and plumb bobs though they will only frustrate you.[/quote]
:lol: :lol:

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

jank50 wrote:Excited that I stumbled onto this site. We've lived for 31 years in an 1801 house in Westchester County, NY and I'm still working on it! Now my goal is to sell it within 2 years and move to a house we just bought in Rutland, VT, near my married son. That house is an 1804 home that resulted from a barn being mated to an existing home. Lots to do, especially in the area of windows. I'm an amateur in household repairs, but eager to learn. Have pity on a man with two mortgages and tools scattered across two house - never where you need them!

Welcome. Rutland VT. is a nice place I'm sure you'll love that area. Along Rte. 4 on the left hand side going west toward the NY state line there is a farm stand that sells the best cider donuts. When they are still hot those things are deadly good.