Hi! SUPER NEWBIE ... making offer on 1790’s house

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
TMCT
Just Arrived

Hi! SUPER NEWBIE ... making offer on 1790’s house

Post by TMCT »

I’m taking the plunge and making an offer on a home in CT built in the 1790s. It’s on the historical registry. The kitchen has no sink, there’s a gorgeous claw foot tub, wallpaper over plaster... I don’t know where to even start dating things. The current owner lived there 20 yrs but doesn’t have records of previous renovations. Am reading and researching!!!

Gothichome

Re: Hi! SUPER NEWBIE ... making offer on 1790’s house

Post by Gothichome »

Hello and welcome to the District TMCT. Your home might be the oldest here. You can start your research by looking at old maps of the area. Many period maps would often indicate who lived in the home at the time the map was drawn up. A lot of the maps are on line, you can start at local historical web sites. Google ‘your county maps’ I like to go straight to images it lets you skip all the non relevant maps. Another option is post some pics here, we have some pretty sharp folks who could pin down some of the details about the home itself.
Once agin welcome.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Getting a copy of the abstract will give you a lot that's useful for historical research. Also checking with the city for building permits may prove to be useful, assuming the previous owners pulled permits for renovations...

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

You might also contact the local historical society. Most towns have one, usually there's one person who will know every house and the various owners going back almost to the beginning of time. You might also find some early photographs they have in the archives too. Good luck and welcome

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I don't know the size of the town that you live in, but I found a lead on my house just from talking to folks at the local library. They even gave me the telephone number of a lady who was the last to own the Orleans Candy Co before it closed, taking over from the guy who built my house.

(But I haven't worked up enough courage to call her yet, sadly. I'm always afraid of seeming like a crazy person because most folks don't care about old houses at all. I sent a message on Facebook to the 80-year-old son of the original owners who grew up in my house, but he hasn't replied. And I found out that the grandson is in and out of the local penitentiary. I really don't want to get involved with the original family because of that.)

Anyway, wow, 1790! As Gothichome said, it might be the oldest here.

Welcome from probably the newest house here!
1939 Minimal Traditional

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

As others have said - Welcome!
Please share pics and your experiences. This is a great group with where knowledge is shared freely.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

WOW 1790? some of us weren't even born then ;-)