Hi from Western KY!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Hi from Western KY!

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Gothichome wrote:
Installing tin ceilings in a basement service room seems a bit odd, just a way of covering the grim of a working kitchen on the plaster ceiling?

That was my first thought as well, though I've seen stranger things. Normally decorative elements like a tin ceiling would be on the main level of the house.

One thought I had. This house was built in the era when billiard rooms were popular in basements and finished attics. It could be there was a billiard room in the basement at one time and they just did the decorative ceiling throughout. There's a house in my neighborhood that has a beautiful stone fireplace in the basement of all places. The room it is in is just large enough to accommodate a full size pool table and a few chairs along the walls.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I wasn’t aware of that Colonial, a regional thing? Here basements we simply for storing coal, wood ect and canning. Billiard and dance floors though were common on third floors.

1918ColonialRevival

Gothichome wrote:I wasn’t aware of that Colonial, a regional thing? Here basements we simply for storing coal, wood ect and canning.

It was an early 20th Century fad that started right around the turn of the century, was at its peak in the mid to late 1910s, and was virtually gone by the onset of the Great Depression. I've seen several houses in Maryland, Virginia, and DC that had them, though it wouldn't surprise me if there are examples in other locales. Most of the examples I've seen have been in early suburban neighborhoods, roughly 1900-1925 vintage. Keep in mind, suburban neighborhoods from this era are usually literally at the city line, sometimes even just inside the city limits.

The house across the street from me has a small bedroom and bath on one end of its finished attic (would have been for a maid). The remainder of the attic space is a billiard room. The house was built in 1916 or 1917 and there is a Brunswick pool table up there that is as old as the house. I don't envy whoever had to carry that up three stories. The far end of the attic space has a small quarter sawn fumed oak bar that is original to the house.

The other house with the stone fireplace in the basement is of similar vintage. The room has a "lodge" feel to it with original tongue and groove juniper boards on the walls. Unfortunately, the pool table from this room is long gone. The remaining areas of the basement in this house are the usual service areas - boiler room, laundry (complete with three original vitreous china sinks), storage, home canning area, etc.

So these people who claim the "Man Cave" is an invention of the last 20 years owe their inspiration to the days of the Teddy Roosevelt administration.

Unfortunately, my house never had a billiard room, though it has a couple of unusual items for the era - a full bath in the basement and a wine cellar.

parkavenue79
Just Arrived

Post by parkavenue79 »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:If the worst of the metal ceiling is in a hallway and is out of direct view of the rest of it, you could replace what's out there and keep the rest original. I highly recommend the metal ceiling products from W.F. Norman. Unlike a lot of the so-called decorator tin ceiling companies out there, Norman uses a thicker gauge metal and the designs are made using tooling they have had for a century. In fact, they still use their 1910 printed catalog to show their offerings - only the prices have been updated.

https://wfnorman.com/

If you go this route, attach the ceiling panels so that what is covering the plumbing can be easily removed should a repair need arise. One thing I can't stand to see is a plumber haphazardly cutting through whatever is in their way to get to a pipe.

Set off a few foggers the next time you are in there. That will take care of the spiders and just about any other bug that may be in there. I'd also recommend some agricultural rodent bait stations outside. You can get these from Tractor Supply or just about any farm supplier. We're getting to the time of year when the little varmints start scoping out places to bed down for the winter.

Looking at your pictures again, it looks like there was an animal skull under the porch as well?

Ok, I'll look into W.F. Norman. Thanks! Fortunately (or unfortunately??) the plumbing is actually on the outside of the ceiling. I think it's just rusted out/missing due to previous plumbing repairs/leaks.

I'm definitely going to be spraying/fogging/whatever for the spiders and bugs!!

Oh, and that is a skull, plus other parts of the skeleton. My fixer-upper guy found it when he found the dog tag, so I'm assuming it's the poor dog.

1918ColonialRevival

parkavenue79 wrote:Ok, I'll look into W.F. Norman. Thanks! Fortunately (or unfortunately??) the plumbing is actually on the outside of the ceiling. I think it's just rusted out/missing due to previous plumbing repairs/leaks.

I'm definitely going to be spraying/fogging/whatever for the spiders and bugs!!

Oh, and that is a skull, plus other parts of the skeleton. My fixer-upper guy found it when he found the dog tag, so I'm assuming it's the poor dog.

If that dog disappeared in 1957, that tells me no one has been under that porch in a really, really long time. The skull looks like the animal was large enough that it would have been seen had anyone stuck their head in there. I know if I had a dog that went missing, I'd be looking everywhere for it and I would start close to home. Then again, it may have been a neighbor's dog that ventured in there sick or injured and the homeowners had no knowledge of it, hard to say. Still, it tells me no one has been under that porch in decades.

parkavenue79
Just Arrived

Post by parkavenue79 »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
If that dog disappeared in 1957, that tells me no one has been under that porch in a really, really long time. The skull looks like the animal was large enough that it would have been seen had anyone stuck their head in there. I know if I had a dog that went missing, I'd be looking everywhere for it and I would start close to home. Then again, it may have been a neighbor's dog that ventured in there sick or injured and the homeowners had no knowledge of it, hard to say. Still, it tells me no one has been under that porch in decades.

I don't think anyone has been under there in a long time either. In fact, whenever they built that ugly concrete planter box/flower bed thing that covered up the extra set of steps, the also covered up what seemed to be the access hole to get under the porch.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Could those basement "lodge" rooms in American houses have anything to do with the Prohibition?

I know that one old house I lived in in Brooklyn did have a speakeasy in the basement at one time.
1939 Minimal Traditional