Not sure what we got ourselves into!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
MJ1987
Been here a while

Re: Not sure what we got ourselves into!

Post by MJ1987 »

aislinn wrote:Thanks all for the welcome and the blueprint tips. I’ll start there and see what I can find. Also looking at pulled permits is a great idea.

Knew nothing about Foursquare's until we bought this but excited to learn. Not sure that the trim is original because it seems to be in such great shape-but not sure how to tell. And honestly, I didn’t realize how lucky we were to have original windows until after we bought it. I’d love to take the vinyl siding and the outdoor storms off someday and let the original character shine through. And the built-ins have a pass through covered up by cabinets that I’d love to open up too. So many big and small ideas. But we’ll need a new roof soon so most projects are on the back burner until that’s done. Any other suggestions on smart items to tackle first? And quick question-what does A+C mean?

I pronounce my name ash-lyn. It is Irish. All my siblings have normal American names except for me!

Welcome!! Absolutely beautiful old Foursquare. Though there's only a couple photos, it looks to me like your trim is original. My chestnut A+C trim was all painted at one time. Downstairs was mostly stripped in the 1940s and I finished stripping the upstairs in 2018. It was a LOT of work but I loved (almost) every minute of it. The final product makes it all worthwhile. Maybe your trim was also painstakingly stripped at some point, too. It might explain why it looks so fresh and crisp. If that's the case, say a prayer for the poor soul that did the work! :)

I did my roof right when I moved in. It wasn't leaking, but it was on its last leg and I couldn't imagine a leak after I restored the upstairs. I then tackled a bathroom restore and plumbing and electrical overhaul. I have a hard time sleeping at night knowing there's wiring and galvanized pipes in the walls. LOL.

After that, I did the floors. And during everything I've been working on windows. But I also don't live there yet. Come to think of it--I'm probably a horrible example for you! Bottom line: have a plan and don't over-extend yourself financially. You'll get to it when you get to it. Have fun along the way. Every time something goes wrong in my brother's house we always toast to "living the old house dream". :-)
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

aislinn
Knows the area

Post by aislinn »

Thanks Matt! I do think some previous owners did some restoration work. Maybe in the eighties? The two owners since then don't seem to have done much, but its at least a great start! My dream is to take off the vinyl siding and restore all the windows. But for now its small projects and saving up for the roof!

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The bathroom you've pictured is the typical layout for a 1910s bathroom, though it looks like the toilet and tub were replaced at some point. The sink is an old fixture - likely 1920s to mid 1930s. Most porcelain enameled cast iron fixtures have the date they were cast on the bottom. You could look up underneath it with a flashlight to see if you can see it. That will give you a clue on past bathroom renovations.

Kitchens in the 1910s were usually not large rooms. Oftentimes, smaller rooms like pantries or cold rooms were sacrificed to make the kitchen more spacious, though the result usually ended up as wasted space. The area that is now our kitchen was originally three rooms: the main kitchen, a cold room where the icebox would have been, and a butler's pantry. There was also a back staircase. All of these were demolished to enlarge the kitchen in the 1960s. A lot of wasted space is the result.

There were likely blueprints for your house when it was built, though it is doubtful they have survived.

1918ColonialRevival

One other thing I forgot to mention regarding blueprints. The early 1900s were the era of plan books. Quite a few companies published books that either had complete plans of houses in them or showed examples of complete houses whose blueprints could be ordered from the company for a small fee. Builders would often utilize plans from these sources and sometimes modify them to suit their customer's requests or needs.

Many foursquares have their roots in plan books.

bonesyjonesy
Just Arrived

Post by bonesyjonesy »

Blueprints............can be difficult to locate. I found out something strange about blueprints and original owners of the houses. Lots of owners dropped the blueprints into a newel post before the cap was put on the post. Lots of people have found blueprints for their house in a newel post, because the cap was loose, or missing. One of the co-owners of this house wanted to rip the caps off the two posts at top of the front staircase to look inside for blueprints. NO NO NO, I said. "Go search the third story. Looks like no ones been up there in a century !". He was not amused !

I wouldn't advocate ripping caps off newel posts in search of blueprints. Just something I was told of years ago. I found a website about twenty years ago that had blue prints for houses that weren't one of a kind. Found blueprints for the house I had before this one. If I remember the name of the site, I'll post it.

By the way, your home is beautiful. Love the original built ins, and woodwork. Someone loved your house. That's why the woodwork is in such fabulous condition. Enjoy living in it !

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Wow, that is amazing information about blueprints. When did this practice stop? I'm asking because I sincerely doubt that my blueprints will be in my one newel post.
1939 Minimal Traditional

1918ColonialRevival

bonesyjonesy wrote:Blueprints............can be difficult to locate. I found out something strange about blueprints and original owners of the houses. Lots of owners dropped the blueprints into a newel post before the cap was put on the post. Lots of people have found blueprints for their house in a newel post, because the cap was loose, or missing. One of the co-owners of this house wanted to rip the caps off the two posts at top of the front staircase to look inside for blueprints. NO NO NO, I said. "Go search the third story. Looks like no ones been up there in a century !". He was not amused !

I wouldn't advocate ripping caps off newel posts in search of blueprints. Just something I was told of years ago. I found a website about twenty years ago that had blue prints for houses that weren't one of a kind. Found blueprints for the house I had before this one. If I remember the name of the site, I'll post it.

By the way, your home is beautiful. Love the original built ins, and woodwork. Someone loved your house. That's why the woodwork is in such fabulous condition. Enjoy living in it !

No blueprints, but I did find a couple of embossed 1910s bottles from a long gone local brewery inside my newel post. Guess they didn't want the boss to know they were drinking on the job!

bonesyjonesy
Just Arrived

Post by bonesyjonesy »

I don't know when the practice of putting blueprints in a newel post began or stopped. Just know it happened .

1918 Colonial Revival....I've found things like that inside of walls. Never uncapped a newel post though. When I was but a wee child, my daddy found great treasures hidden in the walls of our 1884 house. Great treasures to us, not anyone else ! My sister now owns those treasures, because she lives in the house.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I thought responded to this post and added my hullo ages ago, but apparently not. :wave: Much belated welcome from a North Central MA old home owner.

Lovely home, and thank you for all the pictures!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.