Not sure what we got ourselves into!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
aislinn
Knows the area

Not sure what we got ourselves into!

Post by aislinn »

Hi All,

So glad I found this community. We bought a 1910 foursquare in October, and while I love the character of the house, I don't think we realized what we got ourselves into buying an older home! I'm trying to find original blueprints (did that exist back then?) or get a sense of what has been changed in our home (especially with the kitchen and bathrooms). Any suggestions on how to go digging? Thanks!

Aislinn
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_74b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_74b.jpeg (164.61 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
fullsizeoutput_74f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_74f.jpeg (194.33 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
fullsizeoutput_751.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_751.jpeg (230.52 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
fullsizeoutput_74c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_74c.jpeg (332.86 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
Last edited by aislinn on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gothichome

Re: Not sure what we got ourselves into!

Post by Gothichome »

Aislinn welcome to the District. You have a beautiful home, all that original A&C style woodwork still intact. Blue prints, good question, I am not sure if they had true blue prints in 1910. There might be one in the city or county records that were used to pull permits if they still exist it may be impossible to find.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Blueprints came into use in the mid-19th century. You could also ask at your public library; if they don't have copies they may be able to steer you in the right direction. They may also have old photos. I found blueprints for my house (1918 - although there's some discrepancy; the blueprints are dated 1919. Architects don't make the drawings after the house is built, as far as I know!) at the library.

Welcome. What a great house you have! It looks like you have the original windows - nice! Buying an old house is opening a can of worms - but you knew that.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Oh, my, what beautiful built-ins in the dining room! I love American Four-squares. Welcome to the District! You've landed in the right place.

And I also love your name. I know how I want to pronounce it, but how do YOU pronounce it? Gaelic, isn't it?
Bonnie

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Your home is a lovely example of a foursquare! So much beautiful wood that I hope is original, but if not, it sure looks it. And those stained glass windows! I'm going to be adding some to my own house, not that it ever had any to begin with.

I've always loved foursquares, and I always figured I'd end up in one, but life had something different in mind and led me to this little storybook cottage.

I'm new here too, and it really is a great place to learn and to share! Welcome!
1939 Minimal Traditional

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome to the neighborhood!
what a beautiful home...owning an older home will become a labor of love...all the components are meant to be repaired/maintained rather than be replaced...so nice to see stained/natural wood, original windows and gorgeous floors....you often here a suggestion of living in your home for a year to see how you move around in it, what you might like to change here and there...
this is a great place to get feedback from homeowners and professionals, many shoulders to cry/vent on, and to get the support and confidence you need to go forward...
you are the second aislinn I have met, a lovely name...
.....jade

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Welcome!
Our floor plans are available for most of the older homes on our auditors site. It's kind of creepy honestly, but they are there!

aislinn
Knows the area

Post by aislinn »

Thanks all for the welcome and the blueprint tips. I’ll start there and see what I can find. Also looking at pulled permits is a great idea.

Knew nothing about foursquares until we bought this but excited to learn. Not sure that the trim is original because it’s seems to be in such great shape-but not sure how to tell. And honestly I didn’t realize how lucky we were to have original windows until after we bought it. I’d love to take the vinyl siding and the outdoor storms off someday and let the original character shine through. And the built-ins have a pass through covered up by cabinets that I’d love to open up too. So many big and small ideas. But we’ll need a new roof soon so most projects are on the back burner until that’s done. Any other suggestions on smart items to tackle first? And quick question-what does A+C mean?

I pronounce my name ash-lyn. It is Irish. All my siblings have normal American names except for me!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

A&C, Arts and Crafts

aislinn
Knows the area

Post by aislinn »

Gothichome wrote:A&C, Arts and Crafts

Ahhh, thanks!