Hello from the granite state

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
oldnhhomes
Just Arrived

Hello from the granite state

Post by oldnhhomes »

I just found this site and hopefully can gain and share knowledge here. I own an 1860 post and beam Colonial (Georgian?) side by side duplex, a 1900 balloon framed Victorian (Folk?) up and down duplex, and an 1850 post and beam center chimney cape, which has been expanded. I've done extensive work inside the colonial and a little in the victorian. The cape is next and I hope to retain as many of this home's original features as possible (pine floors, three rumford fireplaces, etc.).

heartwood

Re: Hello from the granite state

Post by heartwood »

welcome to the district old new Hampshire! sounds like you've got some experience with that good old 'labor of love'...lots of good people here...
where in nh?
...jade

oldnhhomes
Just Arrived

Post by oldnhhomes »

Dover! The seventh settlement in what is now the United States and the first in NH.

Just so everyone here is aware, there is a beautiful and very authentic c.1723 Georgian Colonial for sale here in Dover. I’ve admired the house for years, but it’s out of my price range and not quite right for my family.

I just hope it goes to someone who will be a steward and appreciate it. Maybe that someone is here?

Thanks for the welcome!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Old home, welcome to the District. Some of us have a hard time restoring one old home, with three, were do you find the time?
Post some pictures, were are pretty nosey group and like to see what other old home owners are up to. Once again welcome.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Welcome,
Another NH old home owner here, we're in Lancaster up in Coos County. I'm familiar with Dover as I used to travel there for business. There are many nice early homes there as I recall.

oldnhhomes
Just Arrived

Post by oldnhhomes »

Hey there! I wish there were more of the originals around but I think there are only a handful left from the 18th century. I haven’t been up to Lancaster that I can remember. Is it like Berlin with all of the Victorians?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

ah yes, beautiful dover...I submitted a proposal for window restoration at the congregational church and have worked on a number of buildings in Portsmouth...
...jade

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

oldnhhomes wrote:Hey there! I wish there were more of the originals around but I think there are only a handful left from the 18th century. I haven’t been up to Lancaster that I can remember. Is it like Berlin with all of the Victorians?

There are a few 18th century homes here, most are in the 1850-1910 range. This was a big manufacturing town during those years. To answer your question there are many Victorian style homes here in town, but many have been razed over the years in the name of "progress." Our home was previously a Victorian until it was transformed into an Arts and Crafts bungalow. We restored two early 19th century homes over a 30 year time span in Hancock, NH before moving here five years ago.

oldnhhomes
Just Arrived

Post by oldnhhomes »

heartwood wrote:ah yes, beautiful dover...I submitted a proposal for window restoration at the congregational church and have worked on a number of buildings in Portsmouth...
...jade

I know of a great window repairer in the area that reglazed and roped some old windows on my 1900 Victorian.

oldnhhomes
Just Arrived

Post by oldnhhomes »

nhguy wrote:
oldnhhomes wrote:Hey there! I wish there were more of the originals around but I think there are only a handful left from the 18th century. I haven’t been up to Lancaster that I can remember. Is it like Berlin with all of the Victorians?

There are a few 18th century homes here, most are in the 1850-1910 range. This was a big manufacturing town during those years. To answer your question there are many Victorian style homes here in town, but many have been razed over the years in the name of "progress." Our home was previously a Victorian until it was transformed into an Arts and Crafts bungalow. We restored two early 19th century homes over a 30 year time span in Hancock, NH before moving here five years ago.

“Progress,” the word make me cringe. I guess people like us are just wired differently. I can’t imagine ever destroying something historical. I have a hard time replacing destroyed old doors. I’d rather patch them and make it work. If I can ever get around to taking/posting some photos I will.