1939 "Minimal Traditional" Cottage

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: 1939 "Minimal Traditional" Cottage

Post by Manalto »

GinaC wrote:I do wish you the best in that Southern heat that I just can't stand anymore. :)

Why, thank you. It won't be so bad; my house restoration will be complete by the summer, so I'll spend it leisurely, sitting in the shade and sipping my mint julep.

^ THAT is a tongue-in-cheek comment. I'll be deep into it by summer. I will, however, postpose heat-gun paint stripping until the fall.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gina, that “certain age” twenty nine............ish. :D

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I finally found a local contractor to paint my house! Also he can rebuild my back porch, replace my rotted window sills, and measure for and install new storm windows for me! He has 35 years experience and obviously knows old houses. I am so happy that I can finally line up all this work for the summer.

Allied Window was the one recommended to me for the storms because they are low profile for old houses, and I just spent about a half hour on the phone with a representative talking about my options. She's going to send me a color sample, but probably I'm going to have to have them custom painted to match my trim color. Once again, this virus screws things up, because next week she's going to be at a trade show in Manchester, NH with some actual windows. I'm not going to go, and I just hope her company cancels if more cases are found in that area.
1939 Minimal Traditional

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

I got my samples from Allied Window (storm windows) today! It really is a quality product, and since I plan to put in air conditioning this year, I don't think I'll need screens for every window. They told me that if I ever want more screens down the line, all I have to do is call them up and tell them the number of the window on the house that I want it for.

Bonus, their Colonial White color matches my trim color well enough that I won't have to have them custom painted! It looks a little off in this photo, but outside in the sunlight there's hardly a difference at all.

1939 Minimal Traditional

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

glad you found a source. For the AC have you considered a heat pump?
I'd like to replace my furnace anyway. it would be nice to have a heat pump as they are supposed to be a lot more efficient. I think one drawback is that they dont work too well under the freezing point. Here we might need alternate heat, but usally it's above freezing. some provide an electric or gas heater as well, or I could use electric heat. There are some grants here, not sure about in the US.
Its something I'd like to learn more about. basically a heat pump can be used to heat or cool. The idea isn't new, It stands to reason that they may become perfected more. Perhaps they are more practical in some locations more than others. I htink its basically more expense upon purchase and the efficiency may pay the difference.
I'm a bit skeptical because a lot of the new stuff has electronic boards made in China and the trend for a lot of products seems to be to for the manufacture to design in obsolescence. they make stuff in runs, then change it so that repairs become impractical. In Sweden, maybe Germany too? they have a law that appliance companies need to make the parts available for 10 years and provide them within a set time period of 2 weeks or so. Maybe buying a Swedish model would be a bit more, but if parts are going to be available for a longer duration, maybe they are available here as well.
Im often faced with problems of parts availability I have a machine where they just broke the main power switch. Its a bit proprietary, and since its made in Italy and they are shut down, I have to wait or modify it to take a new north American switch. I have another with a broken stop button , same thing , its proprietary in design, It can be modified to take a different brand but the thing is only 6 months old, from Taiwan.

If you just pay 200 or so for an AC unit then at least it isn't the end of the world because you can buy another. If its your furnace, and winter, its a bit different.

phil

Post by phil »

its much nicer that you dont need to paint them. if they are plastic and if you paint them I'd use a paint for plastics. there are some that sort of melt in and they are durable. some stuff like paint doesn't stick well to plastic because it is not porous.

I used to have to fix a machine that made vinyl windows. they cut the miter then heat the edges press them together when hot. the machinery was all automated so drills saws etc sort of attack the frame and trim it and drill any holes. the frames had air pockets designed in to help insulate. although most of us dont want plastic parts in our houses, they seemed pretty decent.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Phil, they are aluminum and factory finished, so this also cuts down on having to worry about repainting in the future.

I'm not sure Allied has a warranty on the finish or not, but ProVia, the storm door dealer that I'm going with, offers a lifetime warranty on their finish. I hope that one of their colors suits me as well. The guy that's ordering the door for me was kind of surprised that I wanted to spend that much money on a storm door, but this is for the back with a pet door. I'm going for a thick highly insulated one so that I can keep the regular door open when I'm home on all but the coldest days so the dogs can go in and out.
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil

Post by phil »

most alunimum parts like that have a powdercoat finish. the parts are charged and they go through a paint booth where the pigment is in the form of charged solid particles, blown around and find themselves attracted to the piece. then it goes through an oven , that bakes the paint onto the component. since the paint has no solvents it is better for the environment.

in the past aluminum parts were painted. Paint doesn't' stick to aluminum well but the powdercoat paint sure does. I'd try to stick with the original finish if you can, if not it can be painted over and then you'd be using a metal paint.

powdercoating requires the thing to be really clean so things can be etched or sandblasted to recoat but this isn't something you'd do at home. when the parts are new and still clean it works well in the factory. I've never seen that peel.

on drawback in frames of aluminum is that unlike wood or plastic is a great conductor of heat which isn't a great property for a window frame that you wan to act as insulation but as a storm it's probably not a huge issue. it's more of an issue if the window frame is aluminum and exposed to both, the cold outside and humidity and warmth inside. once you have a second window that is of less concern as there is a thermal break in the design.

some of the plastic windows have captive air cells in the design and the air is an insulator. You won't see the plastic ones getting wet from humidity in cold weather but you may see that in some cases with aluminum frames. the plastic degrades eventually from UV but may last quite some time. the aluminum won't degrade from sunlight and time. in it's raw form plastic is cheaper than aluminum.

when I grew up we had single pane alunimum double windows , they worked fine and they had an air gap between them. when it got really cold you could only see frost which gave a closed in feeling. If we opened the inner windows for a time it would clear up the frost so we could see out again. we had enough room between the two windows the cat could go in there ;-)

we had a picture window with an aluminum frame. It would form large icicles inside the house in cold weather because the aluminum's heat conductivity brought the cold in and it met the warm moist air inside the house and formed ice. that window did have a "thermopane" ( closed cell) window and that didn't frost up so we could see out, but ice formed on the frame. I remember it an inch or two thick near the indoor sills in very cold weather like -40 here in Vancouver we dont see weather that harsh.
same with a storm door, because you do have a door it isnt' really exposed to the inside humidity and the air between the doors will act as separation . You wont see that effect there as you'd close the door in temps that low.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

The painters are done!

Now I'm waiting for my Allied storm windows to arrive, probably in September, and then I can slowly go around restoring and painting the wood sashes.

1939 Minimal Traditional

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I love the color!
Bonnie