1939 "Minimal Traditional" Cottage

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: 1939 "Minimal Traditional" Cottage

Post by GinaC »

Thank you, so do I! It's cloudy today when I took the photo, in the sun in the afternoon it gets similar to yours.
1939 Minimal Traditional

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Funny, but my house isn't yellow anymore. I repainted it, and I have a picture of it, but I can't figure out how to change the file size to make my avatar.

Here it is now:
Bonnie

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Bonnie, you did a beautiful job with your house's presentation, but I do prefer the yellow -- I'm probably biased. :crazy: My Jeep and my house are yellow, after all!

That green is a really nice shade though, it probably makes you feel cooler just by looking at it!
1939 Minimal Traditional

awomanwithahammer

The only reason the yellow went away is because it wasn't paint. It was some sort of spray-on elastic polymer that was put on sometimes in the 90s. You know, "never paint again!" Except that it dried and cracked, and pulled away from the brick, making pockets for water to pool behind. I repaired a TON of water damage to the inside where water came in through the brick. I had to have it pressure washed off, although I think sand-blasting would have worked better. Anyway, I like the color OK, although not as much as I thought I would. My neighbor's house was a very faded green, so when I painted mine, it looked way brighter than hers. Then she repainted hers the same color it started out as, so now they're very similar in color. I can't say it's "the green house" when I give directions anymore!
Bonnie

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

awomanwithahammer wrote:The only reason the yellow went away is because it wasn't paint. It was some sort of spray-on elastic polymer that was put on sometimes in the 90s. You know, "never paint again!" Except that it dried and cracked, and pulled away from the brick, making pockets for water to pool behind. I repaired a TON of water damage to the inside where water came in through the brick. I had to have it pressure washed off, although I think sand-blasting would have worked better. Anyway, I like the color OK, although not as much as I thought I would. My neighbor's house was a very faded green, so when I painted mine, it looked way brighter than hers. Then she repainted hers the same color it started out as, so now they're very similar in color. I can't say it's "the green house" when I give directions anymore!

That water damage sounds like a nightmare! Too bad it wasn't paint if you really wanted to match it, as I assume that would've been an impossible task.

And that's one of the reasons why I chose the yellow. The first color Old House Guy recommended was the same blue-gray color that my next door neighbor has, the yellow was #2. I'm glad in the end, though, because I think this little house deserves something girly and dollhouse-like.
1939 Minimal Traditional

awomanwithahammer

I could have taken a chip of it and had it matched, but I think on this house, the yellow was just kind of blah. I like a stronger color. On your house, it looks adorable.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

GinaC wrote:The painters are done!

Now I'm waiting for my Allied storm windows to arrive, probably in September, and then I can slowly go around restoring and painting the wood sashes.

Gina, I seem to have missed your post. The home looks great, sits well on the lot, nice pleasing colour, it looks like it was built yesterday. Well envisioned and well executed, your neighbours will be envious.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Gothichome wrote:Gina, I seem to have missed your post. The home looks great, sits well on the lot, nice pleasing colour, it looks like it was built yesterday. Well envisioned and well executed, your neighbours will be envious.

Thanks, Gothichome! My two next door neighbors I'm in contact with a lot, and they told me it looks great. Another guy who lives down the road pulled over while I was talking to my landscapers and said out his truck window, "You've done a hell of a job, lady!" :) This house was a rental for the past 20 years, and so minimal work was done. I think the neighbors were glad it was near the end of the street, since the neighborhood is fairly well off. Now it has reclaimed its rightful place.

Unfortunately I think I inspired the moron person across the street to cut down all of their trees. Their house is now an eyesore. A row of 80-year-old cedars, gone just like that! All they needed were to be trimmed. :(
1939 Minimal Traditional

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Funny, but my house isn't yellow anymore. I repainted it, and I have a picture of it, but I can't figure out how to change the file size to make my avatar.

Here it is now:

Sorry to threadjack!

Bonnie, I resized it for you and the border color came from the flowers. If you hate the border color, tell me what you want instead and I'll redo it. You can find it in the District Album of the Gallery. If you like it as is, just click on it and save it so you can change from your current one. PM if you want the border color changed so we don't further threadjack. ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gina, I'm glad you're getting positive feedback. It is well deserved. Sorry to hear about the cedar loss though.

Our neighbors across the street had very tall arborvitaes in front of their pool fence. When they replaced the fence, they cut them all down and didn't replace the plants. The stumps of those and other former shrubs lost prior to our arrival are so sad to look at when we sit on our porch.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.