1939 "Minimal Traditional" Cottage

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: 1940 Tudory Minimal Traditional

Post by mjt »

I love the color choice!

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: 1939 "Minimal Traditional" Cottage

Post by GinaC »

When the plumbers installed my new water heater on the other side of the wall from where it was in the basement, they uncovered this wall. Under the water heater's little platform I found this 4x4 red ceramic tile. It is a very saturated red, and on the back of it, it says "BRASIL".

I'm wondering if this was the original tile that was in the kitchen or bathroom. My vote goes for bathroom since the window frames in the kitchen were at one time painted a light peach color. Could they have had a peach and red kitchen? Sure, I guess.

So those paint swatches on that wall are also from way back when. That green was on some of the upstairs walls and also the window trim. The back door is still that color, though it has probably been painted again and again.

1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Old house forensics is part of the fun, ain't it?

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

GinaC wrote:When the plumbers installed my new water heater on the other side of the wall from where it was in the basement, they uncovered this wall. Under the water heater's little platform I found this 4x4 red ceramic tile. It is a very saturated red, and on the back of it, it says "BRASIL".

I'm wondering if this was the original tile that was in the kitchen or bathroom.

It may be that it was a sample the homeowner had picked up, but dismissed as too daring ! I've seen lots of vintage formica countertops that were red or dark red, and red used in linoluem or VCTiles, but few kitchens or bathrooms tiled in red. The glossy 4 x 4 tiles were used on walls, not as flooring.

(By "seen" I mean realtor photos of older properties listed for sale on Old House Dreams and Cheap Old Houses (IG). I save the images of the best intact original kitchens and bathrooms.)

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Willa, yes, I think that if it was used, it was on the walls, possibly just as a trim row or something. But that red strikes me as 1950's?

The PO who did all the most recent work on the house and remodeled the kitchen and bathroom in 2000, told me that the kitchen was a mess and he had no choice but to completely redo it. I believe him, because it does seem like his motto was "do the least possible work". I am thankful to him for that, though, because I still have most of the original details in the rest of the house.

He did say that the reason he bought it from the original owner's estate is because he loved all the unpainted wood trim on the first floor. I am missing two of the interior glass-paned doors, though, that used to block off the living room from the dining room and the kitchen. I am still deciding if I want to find replacements or not, because I think they were taken off because they were just in the way. Probably originally they were used to make the hot air from the fireplace in the winter and the cold air from the front door/windows in the summer go up the stairs instead of just into the kitchen/bathroom/dining room side of the house, so I'm torn.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

GinaC wrote:Willa, yes, I think that if it was used, it was on the walls, possibly just as a trim row or something. But that red strikes me as 1950's?

A certain color of red - like a true red, or a slightly deeper red was common on kitchen utensils from the late 20's on. I've seen it used as an accent on blonde wood deco kitchen tables and chairs, but also lots of low end enamel-ware pots and pans and bowls (and enamel kitchen tables). Also cabinet handles and knobs. There were a few very rare red-from-the-factory stoves and fridges - but most homes played it safe with the big ticket items. I think it's a cheerful accent color. Today's white on white with a touch a grey is pretty dreary.

Here's a few vintage kitchens featuring red, to get you thinking. By today's standards that RED floor is pretty outrageous !

9dccdd5f6e960fa010223f3c111f4f69.jpg
9dccdd5f6e960fa010223f3c111f4f69.jpg (107.08 KiB) Viewed 791 times

20366b3bfdaa7230cb5c1f695ca22a7f.jpg
20366b3bfdaa7230cb5c1f695ca22a7f.jpg (31.76 KiB) Viewed 791 times

fcb316ccaeec775ce3ed14f15de8570b.jpg
fcb316ccaeec775ce3ed14f15de8570b.jpg (29.44 KiB) Viewed 791 times

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

My goodness, that top photo just screams 1950's to me. I must have my decade design all mixed up! I could see #2 in this house, even the layout is almost the same. Maybe the peach paint was more recent than the red tile I found. There is white under the peach on the window frames.
1939 Minimal Traditional

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

The woodworker just left and took measurements for my dining room built-in, and also crown moulding. Since he was here and I want to match up the moulding, he took measurements for the living room "high chair rail" that I want to put in, as he described it, and also for a little bench and two shelves for the tiny mudroom. The tiny mudroom is that little section where the front door is.

I'm going with oak, since its grain is similar to the old pine original woodwork. I'm going to try Briwax on the original woodwork to try to tone some of the red down, but if that doesn't work, I can live with it.

I'm so glad I found this guy, and his shop is only 20 minutes away! The only downside is that he's booked until June, but I know I'm getting quality and he understands old houses, which is priceless.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Good to hear Gina, if all works out as hoped you may have found a fellow to hold on to.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Today I had a guy come out to measure for new storm windows and doors. I'm looking to get two-track windows from ProVia, as well as new storm doors with a pet door in the back one. Has anyone here had any experience with this brand? I think they are a division of Harvey.

The storm window guy also alerted me to the fact that my front door is on the wrong way. I know that it's original, because back in the day, this address was 5 on the street, and there is the outline of a 5 on the door that they just painted over. Anyway, the hinges are on the wrong side. I was wondering why it was so darn awkward using the little mud room. I am extremely sad that I probably have to replace this door, since the knob side is Swiss cheese under the escutcheon. Is there any way to save this door so that the hinges are on the other side?

Also my HVAC guy came today. My furnace is 20 years old, so it's time to replace it. I asked if adding A/C at the sime time would be an issue, and he said it's an easy job. \o/

EDIT: In the photo above, there's a little bench to the right of the door. That's just an old shoe cabinet I threw in there for the time being and I know it's too big. My cabinet guy is going to buld a custom bench that will only come up to the moulding around the door.
1939 Minimal Traditional