1939 "Minimal Traditional" Cottage

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: 1939 "Minimal Traditional" Cottage

Post by Manalto »

That door design is still made, so if you could match the color of the woodwork, you'd be in business.

You need air conditioning in Vermont? Doesn't anybody use fans anymore? Sigh.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Last summer it was 90 degrees with high humidity for two weeks. I was literally confined to one room with a portable air conditioning unit. I am not doing that again! That having been said, both rooms upstairs do have ceiling fans, and I do use them. I'm also having a Nest thermostat installed with a fan setting, so in the summer I can use that, and also in the winter to help spread the hot air from the wood stove insert in the fireplace.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

GinaC wrote:Last summer it was 90 degrees with high humidity for two weeks.

We have a phrase for that in Alabama - "a nice break in the weather."

But seriously, I know from experience that New England can get pretty steamy - except maybe the coast of Maine. I like to shock people in Alabama when they comment on the heat by saying, "This is nothing compared to Connecticut." It's not exactly true because down there it starts in May and ends in October. I'm bracing myself.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Oh yes, James! I know all about the (horrible, imho) weather in the American South. I lived near Valdosta, GA for the past ten years and I guess I really got spoiled with the A/C. I really hated being trapped inside.

It's true, I really don't *require* A/C here in the Vermont NEK, but my house is only 860 sq feet and I can afford it and since I'm going to live the rest of my life in this house I might as well make it comfortable. (And I hate window units with the fury of a thousand suns.)

Neither of my neighbors have A/C. The one next to me has a huge house, so I understand why they wouldn't want to go to that expense. Also I think they like hot weather since they go to Florida for January and February. I guess the lady across the street just has window units. She called me up last year during the heat wave and we both commiserated about being trapped in one room. This summer I'll get to invite her over. :)
1939 Minimal Traditional

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Hey Gina - I found this link on someone's site and the look of the houses reminded me of your house:

https://archive.org/details/TheHomeOfTo-dayCreatedBySherwin-williams/mode/2up

In case you need some 1930 color inspiration from Sherwin Williams.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

James, unless you are or have ever been a woman "of a certain age," do not EVER question our need for air conditioning! :naughty:
Bonnie

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Willa wrote:Hey Gina - I found this link on someone's site and the look of the houses reminded me of your house:

https://archive.org/details/TheHomeOfTo-dayCreatedBySherwin-williams/mode/2up

In case you need some 1930 color inspiration from Sherwin Williams.

Willa, thank you so much!!! I love these things and collect them. You're right, a lot of them do look similar to my little house! As Old House Guy told me, unfortunately I am limited to color combos because of my black roof. :( I am glad to see that yellow is indeed a period choice for the '30's.

awomanwithahammer wrote:James, unless you are or have ever been a woman "of a certain age," do not EVER question our need for air conditioning! :naughty:

Haha, so true!
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:James, unless you are or have ever been a woman "of a certain age," do not EVER question our need for air conditioning! :naughty:

I just checked and my chromosomes remain XY.

Gina knows I was just teasing her because she lives in the snowy state of Vermont, at least I hope she knows. It's not always easy to convey a tongue-in-cheek remark in print. It was tinged with a little bit of jealousy too because I know what kind of summer I'm about to face on the Gulf Coast.

Gina, I noticed also that the soft yellow you are using was a popular color in the 1930s. It's a pleasant tone and easy to harmonize.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

You know me better than to think I took offense. Or that I wasn't teasing back.

I visited my brother in Minneapolis in the summer of 1977. He assured me it never got above the 70s and, of course, no one had AC. I came from Huntsville, AL in the worst heat wave Minneapolis had had in years. It was well into the 90s. No AC and the dirtiest air coming in through the open windows. I've never been so miserable. And dirty.
Bonnie

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

I apologize, James, at first I didn't know you were teasing. But I take no offense, because some people do better in heat than others. I do wish you the best in that Southern heat that I just can't stand anymore. :)

When I was younger, I was always cold and I hated A/C. But when that "certain age" comes up, it turns your life upside down!
1939 Minimal Traditional