Castle Rovneyko

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Castle Rovneyko
Just Arrived

Castle Rovneyko

Post by Castle Rovneyko »

Hello everyone,

I'm new here - but not so new.

A few years ago, I was excited to find this forum. That's because I found my "forever home" by accident. A solid granite and brownstone Victorian Castle.

If you search this forum for "Swedesboro Castle" you will see my older posts. I am now listed here as Castle Rovneyko.

Built between 1885 and 1900 by James Justice Davidson, I am the 4th owner since his last family member lived here. I was told by a local resident of Swedesboro that she was a 4 year old when her mother cooked meals for the Davidson gatherings and that the townsfolk referred to the home as "The Castle". So I am carrying on a bit of that tradition with the name: Castle Rovneyko.

Although not historically registered - I hired a seasoned historical home inspector during the purchase process. His comment was: "Rarely do I have the honor of inspecting a home of this age that's in such good shape. Whoever owned this home cared about it."

For me, it's an honor to continue the preservation while it's in my care.

Everything appears original to my untrained eye. Not one "modern" window. Original curved stained glass in the turret room. 10' ceilings with plaster walls, original tiles in the foyer and fireplaces (not working) from Old Bridge Tile Company circa late 1800's. Carved stone columns out front on the portico. Front staircase and servant's staircase in the kitchen. Dumbwaiter, covered over but the original stone weight and rope found in the cellar and the original pulley wheel down inside the upper hallway floor. Original wood floors throughout. And a recent wonderful discovery - when I removed the stick-on linoleum tiles in the upstairs bathroom, original penny-round mosaic tiles which match the tiles in the downstairs powder room and compliment the tiles in the foyer that continue out to the tiles on the portico. The front doors are original thick double oak doors and the transom glass, I was told was old German glass.

After a tragic setback - I am now beginning to "pick up the pieces" of my forever home - and polish it room by room. I will post more pictures soon.

- Castle Rovneyko
Attachments
CR6.jpg
CR6.jpg (19.9 KiB) Viewed 893 times
CR5.jpg
CR5.jpg (130.69 KiB) Viewed 909 times
CR1.jpg
CR1.jpg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 909 times
CR11.jpg
CR11.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 909 times
CR2.jpg
CR2.jpg (88.31 KiB) Viewed 909 times
CR3.jpg
CR3.jpg (167.42 KiB) Viewed 909 times
CR7.jpg
CR7.jpg (15.11 KiB) Viewed 909 times
CR8.jpg
CR8.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 909 times
CR9.jpg
CR9.jpg (53.2 KiB) Viewed 909 times
CR12.jpg
CR12.jpg (138.55 KiB) Viewed 909 times
Last edited by Castle Rovneyko on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Castle Rovneyko

Post by Manalto »

Welcome, and thank you for sharing your story. I look forward to photos of Castle Rovneyko; it sounds wonderful.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

:wave: Welcome. I missed doing that the first time around because I hadn't found this site yet.

I look forward to your new posts.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Castle Rovneyko
Just Arrived

Post by Castle Rovneyko »

Thank you for the comments. Nice common bond we all have here.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Ooooo...I see what you snuck in there.

*patiently waits for more* :popcorn:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Welcome and glad you found us again!

Very cool house.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

What a beautiful building ! it looks so well kept too.
Phil

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

It's easy to see why the house appealed to you, with its craftsmanship and fine materials. I like many things about it. One is the combination of rustic and finished stone. I know you said it was well cared-for, which is evident. Does it need any work?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Swedesdoro, ops. Castle Rovneyko :D welcome back into the fold. Sorry to hear of a personal setback, you do have a spectacular home both then and now. If I recall the last posts under swedesboro you were restoring the wood work to the exterior.

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

What a beautiful home!! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!!