Oldie Newbie?

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Central Passage 1832
Just Arrived

Oldie Newbie?

Post by Central Passage 1832 »

Hello all. My first post. I've been reading the old files and have already learned a hundred things I have done wrong on houses over the years! So thank you. And my new old house thanks you.

She was born in 1832, or maybe a little earlier, or maybe a little later.... A Central Passage home one room deep and and no second level. So what I have is a house with a wide hallway coming to the center of the house then a large Parlor or "gathering room to the right. Down the hall to the left is another room of equal size that would have been the owners family's private area.

An addition was added at some point that houses the kitchen and laundry/mechanical room. For my first "quirk"... the Central Passage homes had a central passage straight through with another outside wall which housed a door. So in summer having both doors open it would stay cooler in side. . My poor home has a toilet in the middle of the back passage. It has aa tub, sink, etc. a full bathroom with a door. The only interior door I have.

Outside she has been dressed in a blue shade of vinyl siding over the original brick. Windows have been remuddled. BUT I am in love with her and looking forward to returning her to her original state of "I've come up in the world from a log cabin".

Thanks again for the advice I've gleaned from past posts. And bear with me on my silly questions in the future.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Oldie Newbie?

Post by Manalto »

Hi CP,
Is your house configured in that way to accommodate a warm climate? Maryland? Virginia? Although not the same, your description reminded me of the 'dog trot' houses in Texas that are designed to encourage ventilation. (Because, after all, hot and stagnant is much worse than hot and breezy.)

I like your comment about coming up in the world from a log cabin. It's really true; unless they're city houses, structures from that era show some evidence of their rustic origins yet begin to employ the refinements you expect in a permanent home.

The good thing about vinyl siding (blue, no less) is that its hideousness helps to provide the incentive for removal.

If you have an opportunity, post some photos. Then in a year or two you can go back and see how far you've come in your restoration!

Central Passage 1832
Just Arrived

Hi Manalto. I live in Southern Indiana And yes that could be a State. Totally different landscape and politics down here. It's my understanding that the people that moved to this area came from Virginia via Kentucky [my family did the whole Virginia to Kentucky to Ohio to here. They were farmers and sutlers. Lived in the uplands of Virginia and, for the most part, detested slavery. So Indiana. A lot of Underground Railroad stops in this area.

So...what has all that to do with Central Passage Homes? They came from the area of the dog trot homes so I'm pretty sure that factored into the building plans. But the first brick houses in this area opened directly into the Parlor/bedroom/kitchen.

To show that they had "come up in the world" the Brick with a Hall that turned left into the Public area. Turn right to the occupants Private area.

So...That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Until someone comes along with a lot more knowledge than me [not hard to do]!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hello CP and welcome to the neighborhood!! a nice place to visit....
...jade

Central Passage 1832
Just Arrived

Hi Jade and thank you. I have read a lot of your posts. Always good information! There is a small concrete block building which will, someday, be my glass studio. And when I get the blue vinyl siding off the main house I hope the lintels are still there and at least the ghost impressions of what the "real" windows will look like.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Central Passage, welcome to the District. Interesting, if the kitchen is now an add on did the property have an out building for a kitchen, I under stand that was a common arrangement in the south.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Adding my welcome to the mix. :wave:

Sounds like you have some firm plans, and I look forward to your future posts.

Also, feel free to post pictures anytime. The Gallery is free to use for all members if you don't have a web host for images of your own.

We really like pictures. :popcorn:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Central Passage 1832
Just Arrived

Hi Gothichome and Lilly. Thank you for the welcome.

GH there are tantalizing hints of other outbuildings being once on the property. But I am currently uncovering hidden artifacts inside. There was no evidence either outside or inside my home to indicate a fireplace on the south end of the house but in a "it had to have one" moment I wacked out a section of wall and found the fireplace...the firebox filled with brick which I hope came from the missing chimney. Fun times!

Lily, "firm plans"?? There ain't nothing firm 'bout this place! In asection of the kitchen the floor It sinks about two inches when I step on it. Rotten wood? Covered over entrance to a cellar? Will check in the future. But after reading all the old Drew posts on what or who was in his townhouse I'm not sure I want to open it without priestx and shamans standing b y...

On a thank you note to all of you...I have been patiently scraping an ungodly amount of paint off the wood floor under the pee saturated carpet for the last two months. But reading posts on here about water based versus oil based paint I had an "aha" moment. Hot soapy water and the scrub brush that was destined for my glass studio has cleaned 75% of my floor in under two hours. The other 25% is under my sleeping dog.... So THANK YOU to all and thank you for letting my home, myself, and my dog move into the neighbor hood.

The camera is on the charger. Sposed to be sunny tomorrow so will get some pics...then send the rest of the summer trying to figure out how to get them on here.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Central Passage 1832 wrote:Lily, "firm plans"?? There ain't nothing firm 'bout this place!
Firm as in you're not staring at your house, wringing your hands, and not starting anything at all because your head is still swimming with "oh noes". ;-)

Central Passage 1832 wrote:The camera is on the charger. Sposed to be sunny tomorrow so will get some pics...then send the rest of the summer trying to figure out how to get them on here.
Two useful threads:
1) New Gallery Feature
2) Gallery Linking Basics
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Central Passage 1832
Just Arrived

Hi Lilly. Thanks for the threads. Was going to go out and get pics a little earlier but looks like a thunderstorm is moving in. Got to stay busy and get things done because I'm :character-oldtimer: