Ypsilanti Downtown Mixed Use

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
MuttonchopsRock
Just Arrived

Ypsilanti Downtown Mixed Use

Post by MuttonchopsRock »

So, I got involved in my friends project, which has a heck of a story. The building is currently mixed use, having started its life as the "Occidental Hotel and Sanitarium" around about 1880 or so, with additions to the structure after the sanitarium stint went bust about 1920 or so (I don't have an exact date) In the interim what was street level became retail, housing a clothier, a tailor, a shoe (cobbler) shop, and even a 'speed/performance shop'.

A Chaz on Facebook suggested I share the endeavor here on this forum. So here we go.

As it stands right now, one retail unit is currently leased to a barber, the other is a soon to open clothing boutique. reAnd the owners real estate office, two store front's still need reconstruction which is what I'm assisting on while picking up valuable technical skills from the experts being brought in.

The second floor of the building will soon be rental apartments of varying size from studio to two bedroom.

Now I just need to figure out how to share photos here !

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Ypsilanti Downtown Mixed Use

Post by mjt »

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing more of the project!

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Great looking downtown--just did a quick google search. Looking forward to the pics of the actual building!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Adding my welcome a bit late. :wave:

It sounds like a neat building and project, really. I'm sure you're busy with it, but I too await updates when time allows.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Glad to see you made it!