Our intro - Michigan

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Our intro - Michigan

Post by Lily left the valley »

Oh, I didn't see it mentioned, and I don't know what challenges you have as to the basics (safety, heat, plumbing, leaks, potential fire hazard electricals, possible water in the cellar sorts of things), but...

The best advice I've ever gotten here on the District is try to give the house a chance to talk to you and tell you what it needs. If you're anything like me, this sounds impossible to do, but if I can do it, so can you.

If you have immediate needs (categories above), those do get priority. Yet at the same time, try to spend a little time each day inside and out with your house and get familiar with it. Look for clues about changes over time. Learn to admire the forethought put into, say, the available view from a window if a person happened to be looking through it from outside, and how an interior doorway nearby is just at the right spot to not continue the view straight into one of the bathrooms. (This revelation came to me one day when I opened the bathroom door to say something to my spouse, and for some reason my eye drew to the doorway between our parlor and dining room and the brilliance of the placement just hit me in the weirdest "very nice" kind of way. "That's why it's so close to the ouside wall! :doh: )

Having said that, there were some things that could not wait (insulation in the attic since we had none), like when the main pipe off our boiler suddenly sprung a leak. (That's when we found out we had brass--not discolored galvanized plumbing--under the foam insulation wrap mixed in with many, many other types). As soon as weather permitted, since we're in NE, I spent most of my efforts outdoors. I started some regrading work, and did my best to tame the jungle that had sprung up in many neglectful years. I did also do some tiny repairs like fixing the depth of our screen door catch so it would stop blowing in strong winds, remedy the missing strike plate for the basement door that loved to creeeakkk open creepily--that sort of thing.

There was one project I started in the kitchen I shouldn't have, but the inconvenience was minimal, and we still prefer the beat up cracked lino to the cheap fake wood vinyl planks any day (Color! Thank goodness for some color!). Still...I have been good and didn't rip up the rest in the dining room or hall/closet yet even though I know the sheet runs through them. :eusa-whistle:

My biggest thing I've been itching to do is paint. The POs repainted the entire place (cheaply and in true Drunken Weasel fashion) blah beige as part of their "spruce it up for sale so the selling agent stops nagging us" effort. Yes, paint is cheap, but even minimal work still needs to be done before it's worth us painting any of the walls, so we put the money elsewhere and I just hid as much as I could manage with furniture and putting in as few new holes as possible for art until we can do it right.

Also, if you do plan to do most of the work yourself, I highly recommend spending some quality time with your town's building codes. Also find out as soon as possible if there's any kind of a group that supports historical restorations in your area. That way, if you have to fix your porch rail, and the town says "Nope, if you touch that, it has to be 'this' high now", which will ruin the balance of the architecture, you can go to your historical buddies to help them convince the town that 4" difference isn't going to kill anyone.

Also, if you are lucky enough to have a local plumbing/electrical supplier that sells to homeowners or non box lumber yard or hardware store, be nice to them. In time, they will tell you great secrets (not gossip...actually useful to know stuff, sometimes about where you live). They will also take the time to explain things at length and in detail if the shop isn't busy while you make furious notes.

As to insurance, one thing that came up when we went over our policy was our company charges a bit more because we have some lathe and plaster (we're still not sure how much l&p versus cement board stuff that's not modern drywall). They do that because it costs more for demo and hauling away--something I would have never thought of if I didn't ask "why?" We went with a local because they had good ratings, fair rates, and I wanted to be able to walk into an office and talk to our agent if need be instead of dealing with strangers each time I tried to call an internet only place.

As to blogs, I always intended such. Instead, my Beebe thread sort of filled that gap, and later even my garden thread too when Mick added that subforum for us. I just last week finally made a free wordpress blog for garden related things, but I already know I'll be lucky to have time to post once a month unless I just post images with captions.

Looking forward to your progress reports, and I hope your move goes smoothly.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

I'm late to this one, but welcome, Woodhaven!

Your house looks incredible and I'm also eagerly awaiting additional photos. There's certainly an Italianate vibe and the porches are beautiful. I'd imagine that the originality abounds! Have you resurrected an old house in the past? I guess others assume taking on such a project would be a young man/woman's game, but energy and/or experience might dictate otherwise. I'm curious about your long journey from UT to MI, too!

Again, welcome to the District, good luck on your journey, and I look forward to some updates!
Attachments
welcome.jpg
welcome.jpg (74.79 KiB) Viewed 995 times
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Woodhaven, I have neither youth nor experience so rest assured there is always someone here more foolish than you!

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

That is a house with a lot of great charm, welcome to the site. Italianates are not that common in my parts, there are a couple, but I do like them a lot.

Will stay tuned. 8-)
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Wooddhaven
Just Arrived

Post by Wooddhaven »

Lily left the valley wrote:Oh, I didn't see it mentioned, and I don't know what challenges you have as to the basics (safety, heat, plumbing, leaks, potential fire hazard electricals, possible water in the cellar sorts of things), but...

The best advice I've ever gotten here on the District is try to give the house a chance to talk to you and tell you what it needs. If you're anything like me, this sounds impossible to do, but if I can do it, so can you.

If you have immediate needs (categories above), those do get priority. Yet at the same time, try to spend a little time each day inside and out with your house and get familiar with it. Look for clues about changes over time. Learn to admire the forethought put into, say, the available view from a window if a person happened to be looking through it from outside, and how an interior doorway nearby is just at the right spot to not continue the view straight into one of the bathrooms. (This revelation came to me one day when I opened the bathroom door to say something to my spouse, and for some reason my eye drew to the doorway between our parlor and dining room and the brilliance of the placement just hit me in the weirdest "very nice" kind of way. "That's why it's so close to the ouside wall! :doh: )

Having said that, there were some things that could not wait (insulation in the attic since we had none), like when the main pipe off our boiler suddenly sprung a leak. (That's when we found out we had brass--not discolored galvanized plumbing--under the foam insulation wrap mixed in with many, many other types). As soon as weather permitted, since we're in NE, I spent most of my efforts outdoors. I started some regrading work, and did my best to tame the jungle that had sprung up in many neglectful years. I did also do some tiny repairs like fixing the depth of our screen door catch so it would stop blowing in strong winds, remedy the missing strike plate for the basement door that loved to creeeakkk open creepily--that sort of thing.

There was one project I started in the kitchen I shouldn't have, but the inconvenience was minimal, and we still prefer the beat up cracked lino to the cheap fake wood vinyl planks any day (Color! Thank goodness for some color!). Still...I have been good and didn't rip up the rest in the dining room or hall/closet yet even though I know the sheet runs through them. :eusa-whistle:

My biggest thing I've been itching to do is paint. The POs repainted the entire place (cheaply and in true Drunken Weasel fashion) blah beige as part of their "spruce it up for sale so the selling agent stops nagging us" effort. Yes, paint is cheap, but even minimal work still needs to be done before it's worth us painting any of the walls, so we put the money elsewhere and I just hid as much as I could manage with furniture and putting in as few new holes as possible for art until we can do it right.

Also, if you do plan to do most of the work yourself, I highly recommend spending some quality time with your town's building codes. Also find out as soon as possible if there's any kind of a group that supports historical restorations in your area. That way, if you have to fix your porch rail, and the town says "Nope, if you touch that, it has to be 'this' high now", which will ruin the balance of the architecture, you can go to your historical buddies to help them convince the town that 4" difference isn't going to kill anyone.

Also, if you are lucky enough to have a local plumbing/electrical supplier that sells to homeowners or non box lumber yard or hardware store, be nice to them. In time, they will tell you great secrets (not gossip...actually useful to know stuff, sometimes about where you live). They will also take the time to explain things at length and in detail if the shop isn't busy while you make furious notes.

As to insurance, one thing that came up when we went over our policy was our company charges a bit more because we have some lathe and plaster (we're still not sure how much l&p versus cement board stuff that's not modern drywall). They do that because it costs more for demo and hauling away--something I would have never thought of if I didn't ask "why?" We went with a local because they had good ratings, fair rates, and I wanted to be able to walk into an office and talk to our agent if need be instead of dealing with strangers each time I tried to call an internet only place.

As to blogs, I always intended such. Instead, my Beebe thread sort of filled that gap, and later even my garden thread too when Mick added that subforum for us. I just last week finally made a free wordpress blog for garden related things, but I already know I'll be lucky to have time to post once a month unless I just post images with captions.

Looking forward to your progress reports, and I hope your move goes smoothly.

Thank you so much for all the information. I really do appreciate it.

I hope to back to the group soon. Ive got this move to get past then onto the priorities!!

Wooddhaven
Just Arrived

Post by Wooddhaven »

MJ1987 wrote:I'm late to this one, but welcome, Woodhaven!

Your house looks incredible and I'm also eagerly awaiting additional photos. There's certainly an Italianate vibe and the porches are beautiful. I'd imagine that the originality abounds! Have you resurrected an old house in the past? I guess others assume taking on such a project would be a young man/woman's game, but energy and/or experience might dictate otherwise. I'm curious about your long journey from UT to MI, too!

Again, welcome to the District, good luck on your journey, and I look forward to some updates!

Thanks for the Welcome! The journey is set to begin this weekend. Ill try and update when I can. My wife and I have dome a fair amount of work on our own homes during our 30yrs of marriage but this is the first BIG PROJECT we are taking on.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Welcome! We would love to see the "before" pics, especially the interior. I have never seen a house like yours and would love to see more pictures!
Diane

Wooddhaven
Just Arrived

Post by Wooddhaven »

Diane once we get out there and moved in Ill take all kinds of pictures and share. Thanks for the welcome.

Wooddhaven
Just Arrived

Post by Wooddhaven »

Does anyone happen to know if I can rotate the images I posted in my first post?

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Wooddhaven wrote:Does anyone happen to know if I can rotate the images I posted in my first post?

Yes. You need to go to your gallery and click the pencil icon you can see on the actual image's page (as opposed to an album page with multiple images) to edit each image one at a time that needs to be rotated.

When you click on one of those images, you'll see four radio button options below the image:
Rotate image: ○ none ○ 90° right ○ 180° upside-down ○ 90° left

Click whichever applies, then hit submit. You'll see the change immediately when it goes back to the individual image page.

Rinse, repeat.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.