Hello everyone. I'm so glad I found you!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Wendy
Just Arrived

Re: Hello everyone. I'm so glad I found you!

Post by Wendy »

So, I put pictures of my house up on my blog if you would like to see them. Warning: they may be frightening / painful to view.

https://thebiginvestmentleap.blogspot.com/

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

Most awesome!
Thanks for sharing!

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Don't worry - we've all been there and aren't easily frightened... ;-)

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

I would think your home is older than 1900, more like 1820-30. Being in New England I'm not as familiar with Mid Atlantic building styles. Every house I've owned never turned out to be the age the realtor told me, usually newer by 30-50 years. Best of luck with your restoration, there's never a dull moment, but you already know that.

OliviaWatson
Just Arrived

Post by OliviaWatson »

Hey wendy, congrats for the home and best of luck with your home renovation :thumbup: :-)

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Let me add a belated welcome. :wave:

The green dust you found was disintegrated carpet padding. If there wasn't any green padding under the carpet you removed, whomever put the newer one down was really lazy. Around here we call those sorts of efforts "Drunken Weasel" work.

I was expecting a lot worse from all your warnings, so ya know.

Were you able to donate anything you took out to Habit? Or did it all go in the dumpster?

And fie on the neighbors dumping. I hope the mattress dumper in particular gets a good comeuppance somehow.

Mattresses are expensive to take to the dump here, so you'll see a lot of homes for sale where there are stacks of mattresses sitting around, or shoved into the unfinished attic. (The latter of which I'm sure the mice adore.) Fortunately for us, that was one bullet we dodged when we bought our home.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.