Hello from Detroit... House style?

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
micho313
Just Arrived

Hello from Detroit... House style?

Post by micho313 »

Hello from Detroit!

Just acquired this house which needs alot of love, sweat, tears, and blood. The house was built in 1900 and I am trying to figure out what kind of design this would be considered. It appears to have similarities to Victorian style houses maybe it could once have been folk? It's most definitely a narrow lot build.

I'm researching how the walls were built including basement and support columns. It's kind of a short (5'8") basement with uneven concrete. I'm assuming it was a dirt basement historically. It's all brick but this area has had an unfortunate demise. Very little in the way of original construction on interior exists, but I'm finding the demolition of some walls may have altered or fatigued support beams in basement.

Hopefully I can get some ideas on the house design. Thanks in advance!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/28nyb8pr63Svkcp03

Deb
Knows the back streets

Re: Hello from Detroit... House style?

Post by Deb »

I am probably the least knowledgeable on here, but your house looks very similar to my last house, built around the same time, outside of Buffalo, NY. Mine was labeled as "vernacular architecture", which was basically a house built for the average wage earner.
Plans for the homes were found in architectural pattern books at the turn of the century. Check out the Aladdin Pattern Books because I think they originated out of Michigan.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Welcome! The turn of the last century was a rich time for eclectic architecture, the mixing of styles. For example, your house has a hip roof, which is often a characteristic of Craftsman and bay windows, which are typically Victorian. Labels become pointless (as other than an intellectual exercise), so I agree with Deb. "Detroit Vernacular" or even "Early 20th Century" is about as good as you're going to pin it down. Interior features that remain in your or your neighbors' houses of similar construction may help a bit, but my guess is that those details are also a mix. Others more experienced and knowledgeable than I will probably do better at pinning it down.

Good luck with your new house project. It's an exciting time with many options open to you. You can make decisions that suit your taste and lifestyle as you renovate. No cookie-cutter house for you. We like to see pictures here; they're inspiring for us too, as we cheer you on.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Hello Micho, and welcome to the District. I would call your home a generic urban Victorian. You just might find several of same home up and down your street. In my view it would have been purchased new by a lower/middle level management type. Has some spiffiness, but is not grand.
Most of us suggest live with the home for a while before doing any major changes or taking on larger projects. The home will tell you what it needs, you’ll find that what you thought were important projects going in will change. Just get the must haves done.
As for as your sagging floors, if a load bearing wall has been removed it’s not a big deal to prop up.
Show us more.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

It's a transitional style that is a mix of Queen Anne, which was on the way out by then, and an "elongated" Foursquare with Colonial Revival influence. The porch looks like it came a few decades later.

Houses of this styling were at their peak around 1905 through the early 1910s, though the broader range is more 1900-1920.

Good luck with it!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey micho313, welcome to The District! :wave: :wave: :thumbup:
Mick...

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I'm not going to show my ignorance of house styles; most others here are way more knowledgeable than I! But I just wanted to extend my welcome, too. You'll find everyone here most helpful. We ask lots of questions, and always get great advice.
Bonnie