Brand new (new to us!!) 1855 Texas plantation house

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Brand new (new to us!!) 1855 Texas plantation house

Post by phil »

I guess we have all been watching the news with horror, and I'm hoping no one from the forum has been subject to this terrible flooding. Here we had a lot evacuated because of fires, now this.. I don't know the geography of the south too well. I'm just hoping that you and others here are on high ground and safe. What a terrible situation.

moiety
Just Arrived

Post by moiety »

I am 100 miles further out from the coast than this fantastic house would appear to be, and don't know the area very well, but it's still solidly 100 miles inland and hopefully is only experiencing minor flooding.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Thanks for the follow up Moiety. and Texas red started a new thread which is probably a more appropriate place than my post here. Writing in to the forum might be the last thing on the minds of anyone caught in or even near this horrible mess. Aside from the loss of buildings and possessions the mental stress and anguish for so many must be unimaginable.

cw3424
Just Arrived

Post by cw3424 »

We did remarkably will through Harvey's storm. Every couple of hours we would wander through the house to look for leaks. The old wallpaper has plenty of evidence of prior leaks but those must have been sealed at some point. Our live oak trees made it through as well. Whew!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I finally took a moment to look closer at the plans you posted of the home. I was amazed to see each material type noted, down to the pine/cedar locations.

I'm curious, is the smoke room for actual smoking of meats?

It's interesting how they placed the office upstairs, but the door to it, rather than shrink the bedroom bedside it to make room for an interior hallway, is off the second story porch. That also was thoughtful for privacy concerns for whomever used that room.

That was really neat to see the details. Thank you for sharing that.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

cw3424
Just Arrived

Post by cw3424 »

Actually, that upstairs room was called a "Sick Room". The only access was from the porch so that people would not spread the illness through the house. Although, they'd still have to enter back into the upstairs central hallway to get down the stairs since there is not an outside stairwell. I don't quite get that. The room directly below was a "Traveller's Room", an early version of couch surfing! Since the house is directly on the La Bahia road there was a room set aside for traveller's to come stay the night. Again, only accessible via the porch so that the family would have their privacy.