Introduction: Howard House (c1910 Rockwood TN)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
HowardHouse
Just Arrived

Introduction: Howard House (c1910 Rockwood TN)

Post by HowardHouse »

Hello,

I've been a member for some time now but have never posted anything. Guess I felt I really didn't have much to contribute since I was new to OLD HOUSE ownership. Well, after being an owner of an old house MONEY PIT for nearly 3 years now, I believe I'm at least ready to introduce myself.

My wife and I purchased our current home about 3 years ago with the expectation of a quick rehab before we moved in. The single family home was converted to apartments many years ago. When we purchased the house there were 5 apartments, 2 on the first floor and 3 on the second. There were originally plans for 3 more on the third but fortunately little change was made up there.

Many of our friends suggested leaving the apartments and opening a B&B. Not our plan...we wanted the apartments gone and the building restored to a single family home.

Now I'm not a skilled tradesman just a handyman fascinated with old things, including houses. The only thing quick about our rehab was how QUICKLY that plan fell apart. Finding professional tradesmen in our area capable (and willing) to take on this project proved fruitless. Frustrated, we started on it ourselves.

Every project we started spawned several others. The carpenters, plumbers, and electricians were not kind to the house as they were modifying the structure to install the bathrooms and kitchens necessary for the apartment conversion. This, as well as the fact the building had been vacant for many years with broken/missing windows and roof leaks created much water damage...plaster falling from walls and ceilings, lath, joist and stud damage. Not to mention damage caused by the apartment tennents over the years. As Nicole Curtis would say, "Why in the h?!! would you cover that up?" Tiles and wood work painted (many times).

So, here we are nearly 3 years later, still rehabbing so we can get in and live there while we finish the job over the rest of our lives.

IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG (222.35 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG (141.76 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG (198.9 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG (95.11 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

Mick_VT

Re: Introduction: Howard House (c1910 Rockwood TN)

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey there HowardHouse, welcome to the District! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: Beautiful house you have there!

Nobody should ever feel like they don't have much to contribute - everybody does, no matter the experience level - truly!
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Howard House, what a grand old girl she is. I think you chose well, nice to see another cut up rental being turned back to single family. The roof leaks you say, I would suggest that should of been been the first undertaking. Buy now you know what the home needs, once those are taken care of, the restoration can truly start. Would love to see more options nterior pics.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Magnificent house!

Keep in mind that when you ask a question there will probably be someone on the forum who will also learn from the answer.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Wow! Such a stately home. And it's exterior is so intact and nicely not muddled. I see so few "under-piazzas"...and think they're so nice to have.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

HowardHouse
Just Arrived

Post by HowardHouse »

Thank you all for the responses. Aside from some tree and hedge removal, not much has been done to the outside since I've owned the house. Our focus has been on the inside. Here are a few inside pictures...
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG (128.64 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG (125.5 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG (118.9 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG (151.99 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG (116.1 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG (457.48 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1067 times

IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG (427.84 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG (105.5 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

Vined Porch
Settling in

Post by Vined Porch »

Hello and welcome from me too :-)
What a pretty house and wow that staircase!
I applaud you both for taking the time and effort to bring her back to her former glory!

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Extending my warm welcome as well. :wave: Another lovely home to add to our "neighborhood". The exterior is stunning and well kept - you are so fortunate. The interior pics show a warm and inviting home full of the awesome craftsmanship that makes a century home so glorious.

Reading your introduction was as if I was reading my own old house story. (Living in another state at the time) - we purchased ours about 2 years ago and are still not living in it... Oh yes, we has similar thoughts, "just these x,y,z repairs and a good cleaning before we can move in" :lolno: - the joke was on us. Although we didn't have the apartment scenario to undo as you did, we have experienced the same problem of finding good tradesmen in this area who are even willing to tackle a project of this scope.

I have faith that things will get done in due time and we will actually move in to continue the work as you are doing. Restoring an old home is a test of our patience, determination and ingenuity - but the reward is unparalleled. Bravo to you both for seeing her potential and taking on such a labor of love.

Looking forward to hearing more about your house and the many projects. :popcorn:
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Late to the welcome wagon, but glad you piped in as well. :wave:

Your home shows much potential and much "wow" factor already in what peeks you've allowed. I don't know how bad things were for what would be the "before" pics, but what you show is grand.

I look forward to more updates and queries as time allows.

Manalto wrote:Keep in mind that when you ask a question there will probably be someone on the forum who will also learn from the answer.
I feel much the same as Manalto on this point. I learn loads both from reading about other folks' experiences as well as following advice to queries asked.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome to the historic district!

though i'm sure it can be daunting to consider all that needs to be done, you sure have a beautiful house to start with...hopefully you are on the young side with time and energy and a few bucks...patience and being realistic will ease the work that lies ahead...you certainly are not alone when it comes to feeling a bit overwhelmed...

I look forward to reading about your experience and progress!

...jade