Boomtown revival

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Greenwood
Knows the area

Boomtown revival

Post by Greenwood »

Hi, I'm Greenwood (Andrea). I have a 1912 American foursquare. I've had it for several years, but am only this year beginning some restoration.
As I peel back the layers I see that the house is not well taken-care of and that tends to stop me in my tracks. That is, I start a project with some kind of demolition, realize the extent of the damage I'm trying to correct, and then freeze because of the cost to move forward, the difficulty in finding anyone to do the work, or my lack of skill to do the work myself.
Having this site is immensely helpful and helps motivate me.
I have a little blog, not fancy at all, but I'm trying to post the more significant work I'm doing or having done.
http://myboomtownrevival.com/
Andrea

Mick_VT

Re: Boomtown revival

Post by Mick_VT »

Hi Andrea, welcome to the District! :wave: :wave: :thumbup:
Mick...

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

Thanks!

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Hi, what a lovely but heartbreaking story on your blog bout Grandma's house - you are fortunate to have gotten some pieces of it, but imagine it would be a mixed blessing. The 1880 house I grew up in was recently burned to the ground (intentionally for practice by fire dept) and I happened to see it the next morning while it still smoldered I could remember my father (long deceased) repairing the foundation and I could see his trowel marks - it just made me cry.... like, great buckets of tears. Some people say "its just a house," like why get emotional about it.

No, not "just a house." It was a house where our lives were lived.

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

That's exactly it Kashka-Kat. I'm sorry for your loss.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Welcome Andrea. We've had some "oh, spit" moments with our 1908 cottage too. Somehow we get through each challenge and hopefully you will too.
We are here to listen and/or add our 2 cents worth of opinions on your projects. ;]
My husband I are currently moving everything out of the basement so that we can dig it out, so I can certainly sympathize with your trials.
Diane

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Andrea, what would one do if they wanted to follow your blog?
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

Thanks Diane!
As for following my blog, I'm a novice at blogging and don't know how to set that up. I'll check into it and post if there's that option.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Greenwood wrote:Thanks Diane!
As for following my blog, I'm a novice at blogging and don't know how to set that up. I'll check into it and post if there's that option.

Your blog is a wordpress.org one (hosted by someone other than wordpress); mine is wordpress.com (hosted by wordpress) so I'm not familiar with the coding of yours or what coding your blog theme template will take. This wordpress.org site is probably the one you need to see about adding a "follow my blog" widget: https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Widgets
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

A bit late, but let me add my welcome to the District. Look s like you have restoration in your hart. You'll fit in here.