Hello from North Carolina

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by Lily left the valley »

Welcome back! Life happens, so don't worry about the gap in time.

I noticed you started a gallery... :popcorn:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Cajun_In_NC
Just Arrived

Post by Cajun_In_NC »

We thought we'd be putting the house up for sale a few months back when a very good job transfer offer came in. It was a bit stressful as we had the original driveway dug up to stop water from being directed to the house from a tree root. French drain was not working as well as we hoped. The job to be was in a great area with good pay. We were not ready for the opportunity, having been in the house only a year. We could have put the house up for sale without too much work in spite of the concerns.

After house hunting in the new city and finding I could not afford a house with minimal SF (unless we gave it a good reno), I turned the job down. We are staying in our 1920's house. I know I don't have photos up of it, but hope to before year's end. I have spent time on Ancestry.com researching the genealogy of the original owner of the house.

After suspected leaking has turned out to be real, we are also having two skylights, installed by the 2nd prior owner, removed and the roofing repaired. Too hot in the 1/2 story of this English cottage anyway.

We found one day what might have been an original drain of some kind at the front corner of the house. I will photo and post. I have also had fun digging around the foundation of the original garage that the same owner mentioned above had removed :-( . I would like to build a new garage / workshop that reflects the style of the home on the surviving concrete slab.

We had a tiny garden in the plot that came with the house. I was surprised to find clay up here in NC, I had my fill of it when I lived in Alabama. Spots around this property in the back yard have been supplemented with soil it seems for many years and this garden spot in particular. We grew a few tomatoes. Off near the fence I planted jersuselem artichokes and Oh My Cod some are almost 12 feet tall!!!! Flanked against the neighbor's bamboo (which we've kept at bay pretty well) looks very pretty.
The class of life never ends. Hopefully, the lessons become more fun over time

"Laissez les bon temps rouler, just don't let them roll over you!" (me, 1990s)
:lolno:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Cajun in NC, good to see your post. All sorts of things to discover once you get picking about with a shovel. The drain at the corner may be just that, a trough drained into it maybe drained to the curb.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Cajun, hope everything's OK with you and yours and that Florence isn't affecting you too much.
Bonnie

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Cajun in NC, how have I been missing your posts on this forum? We are practically neighbors! :wave:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Cajun, Southernlady, how are you making out two weeks after Florence, is everything dryied out yet.