Alabamy Bound

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Alabamy Bound

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I love it! And the ceiling fan in the sleeping porch.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, I am sure it will look nice in in the room. Did you get the hing hardware? Bonnie, don’t all the well to do estate owners in Alabama have fans on their porches?

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote:James, I am sure it will look nice in in the room. Did you get the hing hardware? Bonnie, don’t all the well to do estate owners in Alabama have fans on their porches?

The seller, by his own admission, has a touch of the OCD. The door has a piano hinge and the mounting plates left and right are included as well as the threshold. He said it's chrome over brass; I forgot to ask him how he knows that.

In Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, New Orleans and other Southern cities, you will see two-story porches with ceiling fans. Charleston will often have a solid door on the street end of the porch for privacy. Bonnie can tell you about the big estate owners; that's out of my league.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Two Craigslist finds this week. First, an enamel light fixture, commonly known as a barn light in our "farmhouse"-crazed culture. Since they're trending right now, prices tend to be high so I was glad to find an authentic one reasonably priced locally. I currently have a bare bulb on the ceiling of the garage but thought this would throw a little more light.

Cleaned up, it looks nice and shiny with no obvious blemishes. The little paper sticker informs us that it was union made in the USA.

The seller made quite a fuss about the fact that the mounting is a swivel.

Also picked up about 350 4X4 1950s bathroom tiles.

These are for a laundry-room project to be used with olive green 4X4 tiles. I think of olive and aqua as a classic 50s color combination.

Oh, I almost forgot a third CL acquisition.

It's an iron quilt rack and it weighs a ton. It will be useful, especially on the sleeping porch, because the winter is so erratic.

He only wanted $10 but I couldn't resist the urge to haggle so I offered him 9. He accepted! (Damn, I probably coulda got it for $8.)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

is the light a standard socket? I have a few of they typical upright lamps from the 30's to 50's that have the mogul bulbs ( the big bases) The problem is that they seemed to have eliminated them from most shelves. there are some ridiculous looking LED replacements but the prices are crazy.
I've been considering trying to convert them to regular based bulbs I think converters are made that you just screw in the socket. I have a bunch of really old oversized 150 watt bulbs so I think they would work. they wont be tri-lights but I guess I could use a dimmer somehow.

awomanwithahammer

We are not authorized to see the pictures of the tiles. They must be really something to require special authorization!
Bonnie

awomanwithahammer

I forgot to mention that when mah family owned a little-bitty ole place, we had fans everywheah. We sat on the verandah, drinkin' ouah mint juleps and gossipin'. I don't know what the common folks did to keep cool. :character-oldtimer:
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:I forgot to mention that when mah family owned a little-bitty ole place, we had fans everywheah. We sat on the verandah, drinkin' ouah mint juleps and gossipin'. I don't know what the common folks did to keep cool. :character-oldtimer:

Down in Mobile, come May it gets hotter than a $2 pistol and the last thing you want is to sit in that soup. You just gotta have a fan. Or two.

Phil, they sell screw-in convertors that cost more than they should but it's easier than looking for the bulbs.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

awomanwithahammer wrote:I forgot to mention that when mah family owned a little-bitty ole place, we had fans everywheah. We sat on the verandah, drinkin' ouah mint juleps and gossipin'. I don't know what the common folks did to keep cool. :character-oldtimer:

I remember when it was sooo hot.. ;-)
...I couldn't wait to get home to my wife's cold shoulder :)

We used to drape a wet towel over the box fan and sit around it. Poor man's swamp cooler. It actually helped too. The other solution that works even better just take a jug of water and drench your head.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Phil, swamp coolers only work when you're not already sitting in a swamp.