Alabamy Bound

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Alabamy Bound

Post by phil »

I'm sure you've read about it, but Tom Hanks seems to have stirred an interest in them.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:24 pm I'm sure you've read about it, but Tom Hanks seems to have stirred an interest in them.
Algebraic equation: Tom Hanks is to typewriters as Jay Leno is to vintage cars.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

The Final Chapter:
The long-distance shuttle between Connecticut and Alabama is coming to an end. By my estimation, I've clocked about 20000 miles. I don't even particularly like driving, so this last trip south comes as a relief. I leave tomorrow for the first leg, Caldwell, New Jersey, to plead with my friends to come and visit when I'm craving some Yankee company down in Dixie.

Murphy's Law dictates that something will go awry at the eleventh hour, and indeed it did. A mysterious clunk from the front end of the car had me wondering. Although time was tight, I couldn't embark on a 1400 mile trip without a diagnosis. The mechanic found a broken sway bar link, graciously interrupted his current job and did the repair right away. He said it could have caused problems so I'm fortunate that it was caught in advance.

The house in Connecticut will go up for sale next week. I'm told the real estate market is good right now.
Last edited by Manalto on Sat May 08, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Safe travels James, to bad Southernlady or one of our other southern friends don’t post any more you can practice your southern drawl with them. But we will know when you have adapted when referring to people either plural or as individuals when “you all” turns to “you’all“.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:45 pm{snip}The Final Chapter:
So are you planning to start a new thread under "Thornwood" or such now that you'll be settling in down there?

Sorry to hear Mr. Murphy hopped on board your last trip, but happy to hear the issue was caught before it became an bigger issue. I'm sure you'll have a lot of sorting out to do down there, so I will do my level best to wait patiently for updates both in and out of your home. :whistle:

We're still amazed at how crazy the real estate market is in general. Even here, if we put our house up for sale right now, we'd easily get twice what we paid for Beebe and would likely get much more looking at comparative sales nearby--despite doing so little since we've moved here. I keep hearing the crash/adjustment is coming (depending on which article one reads). Yet, as mentioned in the lumber price thread, I don't know when that might come around since it's so expensive to build new right now.

Let us know when you're safe at home. Hope you have a nice visit with your friends.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:07 am
So are you planning to start a new thread under "Thornwood" or such now that you'll be settling in down there?
That's a good idea but I think I should go Full Pretentious on the name. Throwing in an E often works. Thornewood? Thornwoode? Both? Thornewoode - ah, that's it.

Housing prices are crazily booming along the Connecticut shoreline. They're good but a little tamer around Hartford. My realtor or "realitor" (as everybody around me seems to want to say) told me that the current expectation is 10K above asking.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:14 amThat's a good idea but I think I should go Full Pretentious on the name. Throwing in an E often works. Thornewood? Thornwoode? Both? Thornewoode - ah, that's it.

Housing prices are crazily booming along the Connecticut shoreline. They're good but a little tamer around Hartford. My realtor or "realitor" (as everybody around me seems to want to say) told me that the current expectation is 10K above asking.
I can't stop laughing because in my head most of my tired brain is demanding that be read sing-song as "thorn-EE-wood-DEEEE" (like a bird call, and I blame all the chirpers that have been at it for roughly two hours now), although the pretentious corner brain cells sipping at the caffeine in my bloodstream are all "Oh, tosh! That's pronounced 'THOR-nuh-woo-duh!'" :lol:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

BLTN, here's the sheet music cover:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, now we need to hear you sing it😁

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:36 pm James, now we need to hear you sing it😁
I'll scratch it out on the fiddle, but you can trust me when I tell you that you don't want to hear me sing it. I don't have spiders in my bathroom and I'm convinced that it's because I sing in the shower.