Alabamy Bound

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Alabamy Bound

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks and a welcome also, I noticed those wide eaves create a nice shadow, would you say that architecture is a Prairie Foursquare or Colonial Revival?
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

That's a good question. I don't know. Can I bring it up before the Board? If floor plan has any bearing on architectural type, the house was originally only one room deep; as you face the house, living room to the left (see stairway at the back of the living room in photo) and dining room to the right downstairs, and two bedrooms upstairs. There is an el behind the dining room that contains the kitchen downstairs and a bedroom up. The wraparound porch probably used to be open; all the finishing is decidedly 1950s, and both the door to the left of the stairway and the door straight ahead that's open wide are still exterior types that used to lead out onto the side and back porch, respectively.
Image319 Fifth living room by James McInnis, on Flickr

PS - Nicholas, I haven't touched this house yet; I just got it a few weeks ago. In fact, that's my real estate agent in the photo.

Can anyone tell me what style of house I have? (Be kind.)
Last edited by Manalto on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Well I looked at the guidelines in my district and it points to Colonial revival. Since I'm in Florida the deep south building styles seem similar, on page 22 of this guideline there is one that kinda sorta resembles yours.

Historic Guidelines
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

That sounds about right; It seems that in this period eclecticism was the order of the day. It's certainly not any less colonial than the green house on page 23. In your guidelines, the statement "far from historical reproductions of early colonial buildings, instead using some aspects inspired by colonial precedents" provides more than enough wiggle room to squeeze it in. I'll see what my historic commission says when we meet in July.

Plant City looks like a nice place. With so much attention on Orlando and South Florida, people forget that the northern part of the state maintains its roots as part of the South.

Cajun_In_NC
Just Arrived

Post by Cajun_In_NC »

Welcome to the site Manalto. I haven't introduced myself to the group for projects on the current home I bought only a month+ ago.

I have been through the Southern part of the state plenty of times when I lived in Alabama. For a few years I owned an 1800s home in Clayton, AL that had the county's first school building on it.

From what I am learning in NC, a local historic district can have quite a few rules and restrictions for those wanting to be approved or remain approved as a contributing home in the district. Each district I imagine is going to be different in certain detailed governing rules.

I discovered on my own during the due diligence phase of my purchase that the home I purchased is in a National Historic District. My home is currently an architectural contributor to the neighborhood. Because the home is not specifically registered on its own as a singular Historic Place / Home, I can do what I want with my home. It may lose its status as contributing if those changes are on the exterior of the house or parts of the yard that can be seen from the street. I plan to try and maintain that status as far as the exterior.

Now..... on to my own introduction!
The class of life never ends. Hopefully, the lessons become more fun over time

"Laissez les bon temps rouler, just don't let them roll over you!" (me, 1990s)
:lolno:

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Well, I've been in Alabama for a week now. My drive down started with a minor glitch - just before leaving, I noticed my phone seemed to be drawing a bit too much energy (down to 60% from 100% in two hours) so, suspecting that I was unknowingly running something in the background, shut off my phone. That was it - dead. All photos and contacts on the phone were lost. With a little effort, most can be reconstructed. Fortunately, it was under warranty and a replacement was sent, arriving here shortly after I did. (By the way, it's a beautiful but L O N G drive from New England.) Warranty does not cover the battery, so the AT&T rep was kind enough to send me one on the off chance that the battery was the culprit. (It wasn't.)

Tropical Storm Cindy was in the news around here, also arriving shortly after I did, so painting - or preparing to paint - has been delayed. The first day I was able to cut some volunteer trees away from the house before the rains rolled in. They supported a vine with fierce-looking thorns, much of which is still up in the oak tree, disconnected from its roots so it will eventually die and release its grip. Since the weather was on-and-off rain for most of the week, I focused on cleaning the layer of grime that has accumulated on every surface inside this house. Not sure if it's the gas space heaters or another source - or merely the accumulated film of time. Today I cut down some of the other "weed trees" at the back of the property. Because an elderly person had lived in a house up until its vacancy, it's impossible to tell how long this part of the yard has been neglected (the realtor kept the grass cut) but there is a tree growing through the clothesline whose trunk is about 5" in diameter. I'd say it's been a few years.

I'm still driving around with that blasted gas stove on the back of my truck, waiting to get a crew together to hoist it into the house. I've met a few neighbors, but no one yet who can recommend the muscle to move the monster.

Getting a closer look at the house and its problems gave me a serious twinge of buyer's remorse. Having been an apartment dweller the majority of my adult life, I was overwhelmed by all I saw before me. I've relaxed a little since then, and am using the cleaning process to take inventory and ponder my strategy and priorities.

Top priority in a Gulf-Coast house with no air conditioning (I can air condition one room with the A/C unit I brought with me, but I'm not trusting those I found here.) is getting the windows open. They're painted shut both inside and out, and I suspect some of them are also nailed shut.

I'm finally in a place where I can have a gardenia growing outside my back door, so I went to Lowe's and bought one. It's the cultivar 'Veitchii' which seems to have a mixture of double and semi-double flowers. This photo is of the semi-double. Those familiar with the plant know the intoxicating fragrance, especially noticeable at night.

ImageSemi-double gardenia by James McInnis, on Flickr
Last edited by Manalto on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I didn't even think about Cindy affecting you! We got a little bit of it here in Tennessee, but just some rain and wind.

I know it must be frustrating to be down there and not be able to do what you planned to do. How long will you be able to stay?

I can almost smell the gardenia!
Bonnie

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Cindy didn't bring much wind here, just plenty of rain, sometimes sudden. There were frequent radio interruptions for tornado warnings but nothing hit in this part of the state. Everything stayed wet for days and the lowlands flooded. Spectacular rainbow early this morning.

I'm going to stay as long as I can, which may be another three weeks. How long will paint keep if I have to come back another time? Do you think Home Depot will re-shake it for me?

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Good to hear your progress report, sorry to hear about the phone.

Did you try posting a Craig's List ad for day labor? Some local moving companies might send a few folks as well if they are having a dry spell.

We didn't go through a buyer's remorse period (though I fear when we take a closer look at the downstairs bath, that may happen). I'm glad you've found ways to work through the storm, and very glad it only deterred your painting plans.

Do you have one of those drill attachment mixers? Not sure if Home Despot will reshake (worth asking), but if you think stick stirring won't do it, I'd try that.

Grime is...a necessary chore. I keep finding it and eliminating it with no remorse. :lol:

I hope things dry up for you so you can at least paint one side. I know that might seem weird, but it will be one less thing on your mind, you'll get to see a finished surface, and less paint sitting.

Were you able to do any old paint removal yet? Or did you put that off as well due to the rains?
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Paint should last at least a year, and if you bought it at HD, they will probably be willing to reshake it.
Bonnie