Alabamy Bound

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Alabamy Bound

Post by phil »

James good to hear you are back and intact. It sounds like you had a huge ordeal with the roof and I can only immagine the stress it put you under. Glad to hear things are settling and hoping the rain stays out until you get things under control up there.
my neighbors had a leak, called in a roofer and they went at it with about guys. they did it within a remarkable timeframe. I don't think the job they did was so great but i guess they got it fixed. They sure did it a lot faster than me one guy alone struggling with it. in the process they trashed his chimney and put plywood over it.

he has a little roof that hangs off the side of the house near his kitchen. where that roof meets his stucco wall he had put a great big ridiculous 6 or 8 inch L shaped flashing and sealed it against the stucco. the roofers put another flashing over it, or maybe they removed it but then after the flashing was on and it was against the house they were going with a calking gun of gook trying to create a seal on top of the flashing.. what a mickey mouse mess. I guess he could have probably put a sawcut in there and used about a 1 inch strip of flashing instead.

I tried using tarps and I had issues with them pooling the water and leaking so they were actually doing less than if they were not there but it was mostly because I had installed walking planks and they acted sort of like water collectors ;-)

the last tarp I bought was 20 x 50 , quite a huge one and it seems more heavy duty and sort of slippery and silver in color. It seemed better than some of the others I've obtained and the price was ok. what did seem to work was just tying a 2x4 to the ends of the tarp as a weight and letting it sit as flat as possible on the roof deck. then I could also tie to that 2x4 to secure it from becoming a big kite.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:42 pm...where that roof meets his stucco wall he had put a great big ridiculous 6 or 8 inch L shaped flashing and sealed it against the stucco. the roofers put another flashing over it, or maybe they removed it but then after the flashing was on and it was against the house they were going with a calking gun of gook trying to create a seal on top of the flashing.. what a mickey mouse mess. I guess he could have probably put a sawcut in there and used about a 1 inch strip of flashing instead.
I had a similar situation with the hurricane repairs. The contractors I used are an established company with a good reputation that has been in business for three generations. I had to use licensed contractors for the insurance to pay out. They were expensive but it seems that they do good work. One of the guys told me that the flashing on my chimneys is wrong. When he explained it to me, he also mentioned the cut method that he considers correct. I told the roofer who put the new roof on in 2018. (He's older, so he doesn't go up on the high roofs anymore, so he subcontracted the work to a crew.) I thought he would like to know and maybe even get the guys to come back and correct their mistake. No such luck. He started screaming at me that they know what they're doing, etc., etc. That seems to be the way these days - don't take responsibility and go on the offensive. (I had a similar experience with my 1928 Glenwood stove whose thermostat wasn't working properly; the guy who did the restoration repeatedly said, "I don't know what you did to it." Sigh.)

Once again, it was an unplanned trip that brought me to Alabama in September to deal with the hurricane damage. I thought that, since I was here and waiting for the contractors, that I would finally get the heat situation resolved. I got a "combi" boiler, which is a tankless water heater with a second heat exchanger for hydronic heating. It's up and running, but there are still some things to work out. Also, this a leaky old house, so I'd like to tighten things up to eliminate some of the drafts and to make the system more efficient.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:26 pm Here's an update. Once again, thank you for your words of support in response to the hurricane damage; it means a lot. We're all here because we put our blood, sweat and tears (not to be overly dramatic) into our old houses; to have something come crashing down on the project you've focused your attention on for the past three years is unsettling indeed.

The roof is fixed. The inside, where it pierced the ceiling in a few places, is not yet.

There's something paralyzing about not having an intact roof. When I was first here after the storm, I could think of nothing else. Then Zeta came along and whipped things around. Some people said it was worse than Sally. In any case, we lost electricity (no surprise). The tarp I had put on the roof after Sally miraculously held. Once repairs began on the roof, I was able to look forward, pulled out the heat gun and started stripping the lavender paint that is all over this poor, abused house. Shellac responds beautifully to a heat gun; it releases the layers above and off they come with the scraper. Nevertheless, it's slow going. What a relief though, to see the dark original wood. Beautiful, even with the fragments of heat-gun stripping left behind. I made some progress and stripped the staircase (16 stairs with landing, plus a gazillion staples and nails from old carpeting). Remaining are the balusters (it's practically dentistry) and the board that supports the added-on-later-but-I'd-like-to-keep handrail.

I'm determined to make this place look old-timey, and one way to do that is vintage (or vintage-style) wallpaper. I've been stock-piling it in a way that would make someone with OCD take notice and wonder. This Yankee is thrifty, so I look for the deals, and have found a few good ones. Paint just doesn't create the same ambiance. However, I'm using paint in the kitchen and downstairs bath, where it seems right.

The best thing that has happened here at Thornwood (I keep forgetting to call it that) is the installation of my new Noritz combi boiler, completed today. This is a tankless water heater that has a second closed-circuit system for hot-water heating. We have blended (I'd like to think) 19th and 21st century technology by pumping hot water from this sophisticated Noritz unit through the 1924 cast iron radiators that I hauled down from Connecticut. I would like to express my gratitude to 1918 Colonial (I'm pretty sure it was you) for telling me "Don't let them talk you out of radiators." You're right! They're magnificent. After three years dealing with space heaters that felt drafty and insufficient (not to mention hideously expensive), the house is now comfortable. In previous years, it didn't make sense for a southern house to have a boiler. Now, with tankless technology, the household hot water and heating are wonderfully efficient; heat only flows when it needs to. I installed heat on the first floor only but its rise makes the second perfectly comfortable. If I find that in the future I have to cut a few registers, I will, but it doesn't look like it will be necessary.

Sorry for rambling on - it's been a while.
James, I fear I'm one of those people you mentioned in an earlier post who, after completing much of my restoration, had fallen off but for a few posts here and there. Trying to make a bit more time for checking in and was sad to see the damage from the hurricane. As a fellow northerneasterner, I know those live oaks well. They're truly gravity defying. Though scary at times like this, they're also so majestic. Often, they really help define old neighborhood. But alas, I understand why they're such a conundrum: on the good days, you leave them be and they're gorgeous and help make your property stately, but on the bad days (hurricanes) they're looming over your nest egg and posing--perhaps--the most significant threat to its destruction. What a quandary, indeed.

I'm glad you shlepped the radiators down from up north. As I've probably mentioned before, I removed all but one of mine and had them blasted, powdercoated, and reinstalled. They're working great. The warmth they provide in the cold months far exceeds forced hot air, no doubt. I can only imagine how much they improved a house that had none (though I don't envy the labor and cost associated with piping the system!).

When I first bought the house on Clairmont, the roof was over 30 years old. Though there were no leaks, I was eager to get a new one on. As they say, the time to do it is before it leaks. Knowing that your roof sustained significant damage and being so far away must have left you feeling helpless! I've been 25 minutes away in a bad wind storm and felt that way--though a 25-minute ride gave me instant peace of mind. I'm so glad to hear that you're through the exterior cleanup and on to the interior. Isn't stripping woodwork a trip? The glory of removing 10+ coats of old paint and exposing natural wood is so satisfying. I used lacquer thinner and a steel brush to remove the residue on my chestnut--after heat-gunning and stripping. My process was: heat gun the majority, strip the rest, and then finish with a bucket of thinner and a brush...HOLY COW it took a long time. I'm fastidious, so it took a long time to pick out every little pin and screw hole from years past that scarred the trim. Ultimately, the hard work makes it look that much better so keep up the good fight!

I envy your new boiler and water heater setup. Anytime you can add a new system to an old house and make it more efficient is an 'A+' in my book. Isn't it so amazing when you can marry technologies from different centuries?! I'm still on oil and it's been a headache. My delivery company had the account on my house since '74 but I had to give them the boot. The boiler is 14 years old and likely on its last leg. I'll probably take out a home equity loan and replace the whole show in a year or two--or when it finally conks out. Again, you must have great peace of mind knowing you're up and running and won't have to worry about it for a while.

Sorry it's taken so long to check in. Wishing you and Thornwood all the best for a great 2021!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

phil

Post by phil »

That heat system sounds like the cat's meow ! It's so good to hear posts from those who took a break and found other distractions for a while.

yes I guess with the chimney you can either make a sawcut or install the flashing in the gaps of the brickwork. I saw one video where they showed to roll up some lead and stuff it into the crack to captivate the flashing.

with my neighbors house It is the old type of stucco, he has a little roof over some windows that faces my place so I look right upon it. Where the roof meets the stucco wall it must have leaked resulting in two attempts with giant 6 or 8" L shaped flashing. Im not sure of the right way , maybe the sawcut but what they did is a mess and the fact that the roofers returned to put more goop on top reinforced my opinion that it's going to be a temporary repair. I dont blame then for doing that for now. it's rainy season now.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Thank you for the update, James. It's good to see you pop back in!

You mentioning your issue with your restored Glenwood makes me more determined than ever to bribe the father of a coworker of Sean's to walk me through what needs to be done to get our Country Charm fully operational. He has extensive experience with appliance repair from before he started his current HVAC company and is nearing retirement from that. He's the kind of old hand guy that knows the quirks of older stoves, and will make sure I don't goof anything up when ordering parts. Thinking about finally getting that work done makes me glad I don't have to worry about circuit boards in the mix--one strong point for older stove renovation. ;-) (I've heard so many stories about new appliance owners bemoaning circuit board replacement costs and how the repairs rarely last!)

I hope, despite winter being upon us, that the rest of the work goes smoothly for you.

Wishing you and Thornwood the best from up north. :wave:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Back in Connecticut, sorting through 65 years worth of accumulated stuff to get the house ready for sale. I'll be here until spring break (March 15 or so) and then will do a turnaround (ugh) drive to Alabama with the approximately 200 vintage sewing machines I've accumulated over the years. I can't just dump them and selling them is too time-consuming, so I'm dragging my albatross south with me. Sigh. A few people have expressed an interest in them, and I've heard that Covid has prompted homebound people to take an interest in crafts again, so, we'll see. Right now the real-estate market is good here - but I'm not ready!

phil

Post by phil »

Thats sort of what Im up against with a lot of my collectable old radios. I like them , I appreciate them but man they take up a ton of room and selling them one at a time leads to a whole lot of email , craigslist buyers seem the worst at no shows and email strings that go nowhere but yet waste an afternoon so easily. I had a nice little desk that someone painted so it needed stripping but it was worth it. I posted it for free and the email job just to give it way was crazy. I eventually succeeded in giving it back to where it came, through craigslist "free" so it was ok.

I guess like the radios you can build shelves and display some but that also leads to a job keeping them dust free, and if you are also working on the house the dust is often quite abundant ;-)

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:19 pmBack in Connecticut, sorting through 65 years worth of accumulated stuff to get the house ready for sale. I'll be here until spring break (March 15 or so) and then will do a turnaround (ugh) drive to Alabama with the approximately 200 vintage sewing machines I've accumulated over the years. I can't just dump them and selling them is too time-consuming, so I'm dragging my albatross south with me. Sigh. A few people have expressed an interest in them, and I've heard that Covid has prompted homebound people to take an interest in crafts again, so, we'll see. Right now the real-estate market is good here - but I'm not ready!
*raises hand in interest of said sewing machines* Especially if you have one you're willing to part with that is good for thicker materials like canvas and leather. I have a birthday coming up this spring, and could gently suggest it to Sean since the only one I currently have is a newer economy portable. ;-)

I'm in a similar boat with the collective bins of hand tools I've gathered since coming to MA from yardsale leftovers and such where the seller said, "$X for the whole bin". I've also picked up some vintage hardware bits and clamps this way too that I have waaay down the road notions of using. Since the tool cabinet thread popped up, I've been trying to set some time aside each week to sort them, in case I had bought newer cheaper variants in the past that I can now pass along once I've confirmed I have its equivalent in the bins. There's this one hacksaw I found that is oddly decorative. I need to look for pics of similar saw types to see if it's actually for something else, or simply a tool a craftsperson with an artistic flair made.

I hope the stuff clearing goes as smoothly as possible. I'll also be happy to take any tins you find and don't want. (In my mind, one can never have too many tins.)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

Lily those old tools are the best way to buy them. If they are rusty you can try the trick with borax and a car battery then shine them up.

James good to hear you back at it and checking in when you can. I decided I like buying stuff more than selling stuff so Im in a similar boat thinking about thinning the heard a little, but hate throwing stuff out if I feel it's worth anything. Probably a good move to just take them and when you have time to you can keep an ad running , maybe it's easier to deal with when you are a bit settled because all the emails and phone calls and promised visits can get tiring. I think they will go up in value but there are a lot of them out there. I'm sure you have a few real gems in there too. you might get photos on a sunny day and you can always save the pics until you are ready to start peddling.
I was watching a few of the singer featherweights sell on ebay. the seller had a flowery add they use over and over and claims they were serviced etc. as you know most are probably in just fine shape mechanically as they don't wear out in the box. ebay doesn't work so great in Canada because most of the buyers are in the US and shipping costs are crazy. Canadians will buy stuff or people in the US will buy stuff if it's unusual and they want it, but the market is smaller. I haven't used ebay a lot for the past 10 years or so. I got a bit frustrated because it seemed to turn from the greatest garage sale on earth to the biggest dollar store on earth ;-) Some of the radio people said they had issues shipping tubes. I guess they think they are radioactive or something. that might be more to do with the post office trying to make things safe with use of a wide brush.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:47 am *raises hand in interest of said sewing machines* Especially if you have one you're willing to part with that is good for thicker materials like canvas and leather.
Lily, please see my PM.
phil wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:44 pm ...I decided I like buying stuff more than selling stuff...
I realized the same a while back. However, in an uncharacteristic break from my tradition of buying only, I took a bunch of typewriters that I had accumulated (don't judge me) up to Cambridge, Massachusetts to Cambridge Typewriter. He told me the demand for vintage typewriters was still going strong (apparently boosted even more by Covid), he was delighted with the machines I brought and he bought all except for a couple of early Smith-Corona portable electrics (electric machines just don't sell). The value of typewriters may be higher in Boston than anywhere in North America, with the possible exception of Brooklyn. I earned enough from the sale to offset the cost of the truck rental I have booked for March - plus, these are some heavy-yet-delicate machines that I won't have to transport.