Alabamy Bound

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Alabamy Bound

Post by Manalto »

Hi,
I was referred to THD by a kind person at the City-Data forum who recommended this site with great enthusiasm.

I just (closing was Friday, May 12th) bought a 1918 house in Alabama that needs a thorough sprucing up - and more, I'm sure, which I'll discover as I dig in. It's got asbestos shingle over clapboards (warning - there will be questions about this!) to the window sill of the second floor and stucco above. I live quite a distance away, so initially will only be able to visit occasionally to work on it.

I look forward to the conversations here, learning and sharing what I learn.

James

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Re: Alabamy Bound

Post by Old house lady »

Welcome! There are many knowledgable folk around here who are very patient and willing to share their experiences and know-how.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hello james and welcome! you know I want to ask if you have a banjo on your knee....

we are here when you've got your questions in order....

...jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hi Manalto, welcome to The District! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:
Mick...

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Congratulations and welcome. Hopefully the original siding is intact under the asbestos shingles.

I'm starting to hear the Charley Patton song "Going to Move to Alabama" in my head....

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Here's a view of the house. It's asbestos to the second-floor sill and stucco above. Some of the vegetation needs to be cleared, but there's a huge live oak to the south which shades the house until the afternoon which, of course, is going to stay.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Hi, Manalto, and welcome! It looks like a great house. Just curious, but I grew up in Huntsville, Alabama. Where is it located?
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

I arrived here from a city-data referral too. :D

District folks love pictures, so feel free to post more anytime! We even have a gallery feature if you don't already have an image host.

Is that a second chimney I spy peeking through the shady oak?

Welcome to the District, I hope you find it a nice resource. :wave:
Last edited by Lily left the valley on Thu May 18, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Hi Lily,
Good observation - there are four fireplaces, 2 up and 2 down, currently set up for gas space heaters. Here's the dining room (with that innovative chocolate and lavender color scheme), whose chimney is the one you noticed (space heater removed). There is an angled board mounted on the fireplace, presumably to direct soot away from the mantle (and onto the ceiling?).
Image319 Fifth dining room by James McInnis, on Flickr

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

I'm not sure the angle was to deflect the soot so much as maybe it was done in the hopes of deflecting heat from rising straight up.

That amount of soot would make me want to call a service before using the heater. Maybe what they had installed came too far forward, hence the soot? Otherwise it may be that the chimney desperately needed a cleaning. I don't really know much about fireplaces with gas inserts.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.