Hello!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
mimstrel
Just Arrived

Hello!

Post by mimstrel »

Hi!

I'm new here and just purchase the house that I've been renting for a couple of years. It was built in 1918, with the kitchen and bathroom at the back of the house added later but still in the early 20th century (likely in the 1940s), and then renovated later - maybe the 80s or so. The house is currently 700 square feet with a front porch and a side deck. For reasons that are not clear to me, there is no door facing towards the garage.

I'm going to be doing quite a lot of work on this house. My goal is not to restore it as a historical structure, but to maintain the original style while updating the architecture and making it more conducive to modern life. Right now I have space to entertain exactly two guests. I could have more, but they would have to go in a different room so they couldn't interact with the rest of us.

There's a TON of stuff to do, but I have it broken up into more manageable projects, starting with re-doing my bedroom. The floor looks beautiful. The walls need work. :thumbup:

Mick_VT

Re: Hello!

Post by Mick_VT »

Hi mimstrel, welcome to The District! :wave: :wave: :thumbup:
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

a big welcome to you and your tiny house! I lived rather comfortably for 9 years in a 750sf apartment...
...jade

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Welcome, mimstrel! Sounds like a fun project--do you have any photos?
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Welcome to the neighborhood!

"Right now I have space to entertain exactly two guests. I could have more, but they would have to go in a different room so they couldn't interact with the rest of us. " Yes.. that would not be ideal!

Looking forward to seeing photos!

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Welcome and congratulations on buying your home!

mimstrel
Just Arrived

Post by mimstrel »

Thanks! I have a few pictures in my thread in the Craftsman's Guild board. More will follow as things progress.

Heartwood - the size of the house actually isn't bad (well, I have too many hobbies so my spare bedroom is knee deep in fabric and yarn and wood and leather and paints and chalks and papers and wool and a thousand other things) but the layout isn't good. Too many rooms for the square footage. I do plan to add on next year, but the main reason for that is because I want to take advantage of the beautiful views of the ravine behind the house. Because of the slope of the land, the new room will be nearly a full story above the ground, so I might as well take advantage of the space below. So there will be two new bedrooms and a small bathroom in the walk-out basement level, new stairs, and an entry door facing the garage. Again... I'm not trying to restore the house as a historical structure, but to maintain the historical style while updating the building.