I Took the Plunge!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
MJ1987
Been here a while

Re: I Took the Plunge!

Post by MJ1987 »

Lily left the valley wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:05 am Your holly day decor looks lovely! :thumbup:

Meanwhile, I was lucky to drag out the decorations from storage today and wonder where the wreath we usually hang in the middle window upstairs got off to... :oops:

Some years it's harder than others, for sure. This is actually my first Christmas *in* the house...so it wasn't hard to find the motivation!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

that kitchen is going to be so neat ! I can see why you went for the vitrolite, it's really something. The tree just fits too !
Phil

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Emerging from winter here in Northern NJ and thought I'd share and update with some photos. We got nearly 4' of snow this winter, including a two-foot storm in February.
snow1.jpg
snow1.jpg (428.09 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
snow2.jpg
snow2.jpg (162.38 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
snow3.jpg
snow3.jpg (157.39 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
Needless to say, I'm thrilled to be moving toward warmer weather. My goal this year will be to address lots of the landscaping. :chores-mowlawn: Im planning to add Boston Ivy up the right side of the driveway, intending for it to grow up the fence for more of a grown-in look and feel. Also thinking of adding perennial ferns near the house on the left side of the driveway. Sprinklers went in last December and we just fired them up last weekend. What a glorious sight! It's been hard to keep everything lush and growing without consistent water.

I also just finished adding eight yards of top soil into the 40' x 3' raised garden bed. I'm really looking forward to getting the vegetable garden going within the next 30 days or so, once the last threat of frost disappears. I've never been much of a landscaper or horticulturist, but have always enjoyed vegetables. Hoping the exposure turns out to be good for the plants. I get full sun from about 10am to 4pm.

I also got the portiere up between the dining room!
portiere.jpg
portiere.jpg (119.75 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
It's original from the period and I think it really looks great in the space. It's a bit delicate, but it's only me so I don't think I'll have to worry. There was evidence on either side of the opening, so I know there was once one there. It thrills me to add a bit of antique flavor back into the house.

I also had an unfortunate leak from the radiator valve in one of the upstairs bedrooms.
ceiling.jpg
ceiling.jpg (127.69 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
Water slowly infiltrated the ceiling and I didn't get to it soon enough. I opened things up and let them air out. Now, I've got to address the valve and patch the ceiling. Thankfully, it's only one small setback--it looks worse than it is.

And finally, I got the shower curtain up!
bathroom.jpg
bathroom.jpg (202.83 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
It's a melding of old barkcloth and a new snap off-liner curtain. The color scheme was actually the impetus for designing the bathroom. The curtain pulls together the green and black from the floor with the warm yellow and brown tones from the walls and trim. Again, I'm really pleased with the outcome!

I hope everyone else has met with similar results :-) It's always nice when all your hard work pays off!
Matt

-Edwin Markham

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Matt, everything looks just terrific. I particularly like the portieres. They appear so much in old movies, it makes me wonder how much they were used in the general population. I have a plan to install some for the same use, to close off the dining room. Glad you caught the leak before it got out of control.

PS: 4 feet of snow is preferable to a hurricane. I speak from experience!

A.Fox
Knows the area

Post by A.Fox »

The portieres really do look great! There's evidence that the 3 cased opening in our house had them (one between the foyer and living room and two between the living room and sun room). There are three little holes that have been filled at the top of each jamb casing which must have been for the drapery rod. Someday I would love to see them brought back, with the added benefit of closing off the slightly chilly sunroom when it isn't being used in the winter.

On the other hand, I have been hard at work this spring tearing out our Boston Ivy. I am so tired of it growing on everything, collecting debris, and it seems our dog is allergic to it.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, the Poitier looks fantastic, and it does add some period flavour to the doorway. I think the flowery design is spot on period for your home, we’re did you find it? We hope to get some for Gothichome some day.
The water staining from the radiator although unfortunate can be repair pretty easy with a a good ceiling paint.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 pm PS: 4 feet of snow is preferable to a hurricane. I speak from experience!
Amen! Your tree damage was really scary. At risk of sounding like we're playing misery poker--one thing I didn't mention (and I might have pics somewhere) is the crazy icicles this year. I have NEVER seen such big icicles. My brother, Mike, actually had ice-damming to the point where water was rolling back under the shingles and pouring through the porch ceiling :cry:
A.Fox wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 pm Someday I would love to see them brought back, with the added benefit of closing off the slightly chilly sunroom when it isn't being used in the winter.

On the other hand, I have been hard at work this spring tearing out our Boston Ivy. I am so tired of it growing on everything, collecting debris, and it seems our dog is allergic to it.
Your point about the draft stop is a good one. I'm actually using another one over my side-vestibule door to help keep the cold out. I'm actually changing out the modern aluminum-clad door (which is pretty energy efficient) and returning it to a restored four-lite over two-panel. While I realize I'll lose some efficiency (unless I add a storm door), I'll control for that by adding a portiere over the inside door. I think it sounds more complicated than it is but follows the same concept as you mention--knock the draft down!

Also, I cannot stand buying ivy. It's basically a weed... But, when you need it, you need it. I really want to establish it this year and don't know anyone locally that has the Boston variety. I actually opted to purchase the Fenway Park variety (more lime green) to keep the driveway side a bit brighter since it only gets partial sun. Now, I've got to track down some ferns for the other side of the driveway against the house. Going into the woods with pots is definitely not beneath me :lol:
Gothichome wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:53 am ...the Poitier looks fantastic, and it does add some period flavour to the doorway. I think the flowery design is spot on period for your home, we’re did you find it? We hope to get some for Gothichome some day.
The water staining from the radiator although unfortunate can be repair pretty easy with a a good ceiling paint.
It was actually an ebay purchase. It's a bit dried out because of the age, but I'm sure I'll get a few more years out of the panels. I call those type of patterns "digital floral." It's almost like a pixelated flower design--common on fabrics, lamp shades, floor coverings, etc in the teens through the 30s. I've always been a sucker for it.

The patch and paint will be fine. I do think, however, that I'll probably just infill with sheetrock. I don't think I have the wherewithal to do another lath/structolite/lime. But who knows...maybe if the mood strikes me. It's the overhead work that obliterates my already-worn-down shoulders. :angry-steamingears:
Matt

-Edwin Markham

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I'd just put a shim where needed , screw on a sheet of gyproc and use corner bead, then fill as normal. You can use plaster and keep things original, use plaster and washers and more traditional techniques and in the end if you do a really good job it will look just the same, you'll end up with a flat ceiling.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Super nice details you've brought in. :thumbup: We were pondering adding a portiere in the kitchen doorway when I saw a period fabric panel that I adored, but couldn't work something out with the seller (who later just removed the listing, so I don't know if he ended up selling it locally or what.)

I especially like how the shower curtain has the mesh on top. When we were at the apartment we rented when we first moved here that had a claw foot tub, we bought a duck cloth curtain, but it was solid all the way up and did diminish the light inside when showering.

Sorry to see the leak! Do whatever your shoulders can stand. We've been lucky so far not to have to do any overhead work other than changing light bulbs.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Just thought I'd post a couple pictures of the roller shades from the Handwerk Shade Shop, now that I finally had a chance to hang a few.
IMG_1694.jpg
IMG_1694.jpg (112.42 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
IMG_1695.jpg
IMG_1695.jpg (276.33 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Notice a couple things:
1) The idea was to keep the shade simple (no stencils, no scallops, etc) in order to stay true to the chestnut woodwork and arts and crafts corners
2) I decided to go with a shade that has a bit of color so rather than choosing the darker ecru, the choice was 'cream cotton'
3) The order was placed for shades without pulls because I managed, miraculously, to find 1920s originals. They're stamped metal, nickel over steel, with a moon-and-stars design. Of course, this made things take longer, since I needed to find appropriate hardware and take the time to position everything correctly. I'm really happy with the results
4) The improved contrast from outside is exactly what I was hoping for. I do love the natural light that comes through undressed windows, but from the outside, the vertical light pattern on the upper sash is lost in the shadowed interior. Notice how the three-lite upper is now distinct.

At any rate, I'm glad to continue to move forward with furnishings! Hope this helps others to appreciate the appropriateness and simplicity of cotton shade-cloth roller shades!
Matt

-Edwin Markham