I Took the Plunge!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Gothichome

Re: I Took the Plunge!

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, that rail issue is a simple fix, no ladders involved.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Here's a couple of photos of the house before and after the asbestos sizing removal and remediation. Cedar clapboard is in very good shape. There's probably 15 boards that are split and need replacement. I priced out the new pre-primed clap at about $3.50 p/lf. I'm meeting with the painter today to discuss some additional prep work to what we had discussed prior to removal. There's a LOT of paint scraping work to be done and 4 million nail holes to fill but he knew all that. We also figured that some boards would need to be replaced. There's one bad window sill that will need replacement. I think the biggest issue right now is the attic fan. It's not working and had clearly been inserted into a space where a window had once been. They roughed it out without much consideration. I *think* I'm going to remove the fan, reframe out the window, but then clap over it until I'm ready to put the window back.

Also, for those wondering, I'm going with a yellow field, white trim, and green sash....big changes coming!
Attachments
ED1EBF83-BF2C-430E-8DFC-5F1D51FCB26B_zpszysdncrs (2).JPG
ED1EBF83-BF2C-430E-8DFC-5F1D51FCB26B_zpszysdncrs (2).JPG (178.8 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 2492 times
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Matt, this part of the project alone fits the description, "I Took the Plunge!" since you bit the bullet and dove into the unknown (he said, carelessly mixing metaphors). I'm glad the siding is in such good shape. Your repairs are mercifully minor. Looks good with the fake shutters off.

MJ1987 wrote:I'm going with a yellow field, white trim, and green sash....big changes coming!

Sounds beautiful and classic. Can't wait to see the photos.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Update: carpentry work started last week. The house was pressure washed two weeks ago. Much to my chagrin, the guys blasted water inside the house because they hit the space between the meeting rail between the sash. I basically had a heart attack. I told them not to touch the windows but clearly, that didn't matter. After using towels to sop up all the water, the crisis was averted. Still, I was PISSED.

We removed any really badly split clapboards and replaced them with new pre-primed cedar 10" x 3/4". I also had four different molding profiles replicated and put back the missing bits that were hacked off in order to install the asbestos. It was costly but makes a huge difference. Also, unfortunately, when the roof was done 35 years ago, they did not address the bad beadboard on the eaves near the gutters. Now that the aluminum has been removed from the soffits that damage is visible. Additionally, some beadboard had previously been replaced with plywood--not much, thankfully. We used a grinder cut-off wheel to address the few nails coming through and then glued and brad-nailed squares of 1/8" beadboard sheet to the plywood. It's not perfect but once painted it will look 100x better. The beadboard by the gutters was rough and you could see the aluminum drip edge from underneath. It didn't look good. I bought a sheet of 1/2" Azec beadboard ($137) and ripped and cut squares to fit into the spots between the exposed rafter-tails. Again, I'm not thrilled, but it's definitely the best alternative. The next time I do the roof (in 20 years, lol) the beadboard really needs to be replaced and I'll remove the Azek. It should have been done 35 years ago but such is life.

We also replaced a dozen porch floorboards right in front of the front entryway. The boards were thin, worn, split, and frankly, dangerous. The framing is 24" on center like most old porches so there's always a little bit of bounce underfoot. Coupled with the shoddy boards, it was time to clean it up. We were able to match the fir and grain, but of course the width was like 1/16" off. And since we were replacing boards in the middle of the porch it created a complicated rip on the last board. We opted to glue two together and rip a bit from both, rather than install one skinny board. The results are palatable. They also added two 2x6x10's between the joists to add extra stability where you walk. they shot a couple face nails in (again, not thrilled) and so now that spot is like the rock of Gibraltar. I'm not certain that I'll be able to stain the decking to match the ceiling now, so it might be a paint situation. The decking was originally painted but stripped in the 70's and stained. I'm partial to stain, but paint would be fine, especially since it was that way originally.

Work has commenced on the kitchen. I was unsure about stripping the woodwork but ultimately decided to do it because it can always be painted over later. It's pretty clear to me that it was always painted (brighter olive drab). All of the cabinetry and appliances will be white so the contrast might be cool. The space will ultimately be reflective of the kitchen evolution from 1920s through the 1950s. I think (and hope) it will be more of a harmonious amalgamation rather than anachronistic. The space is so small that I've opted to be less concerned with originality and more concerned about function while still maintaining a vintage/antique vibe. It's been challenging and stressful.

Bonus: Downstairs rads also came back from powdercoater. Gold in the main rooms and silver in the kitchen. Heavy as all HELL. Pics to follow.
Matt

-Edwin Markham

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, you are a busy man. Looking forward to the pics.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Mostly shots of what I was discussing in my last post...sorry for the late addition!
Attachments
IMG_1803.JPG
IMG_1803.JPG (528.16 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG (589.12 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1770.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2371 times
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2371 times
IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1773.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2371 times
IMG_1751.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG (813.03 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
IMG_1754.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 2371 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Not sure what I'm looking at in the first pictures, but I see the beadboard soffit and the porch boards. And I love finding stuff that has a name on it. I found a trim board in my salvage pile that the carpenter (or someone) had signed in blue crayon on the back!
Bonnie

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Just going to leave this here. I think it came out well.
Attachments
IMG_2125.jpg
IMG_2125.jpg (940.83 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Front door changed--roughed in. Still needs total rehab. I had a photo of the house from the 60s where it shows this style front door. This one has bevelled glass lights and is of chestnut construction. It was removed from the house next door to my brother during a horrific flip. Trash to treasure!
Attachments
IMG_2108.JPG
IMG_2108.JPG (543.11 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
IMG_2105 copy.jpg
IMG_2105 copy.jpg (364 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Also, a quick glimpse of the green porch floor to match the windows. I decided to do the whole thing green because of the replaced boards. They just didn't have the age and darkening of the originals. Now it looks more seamless. Also, leaving on the beadboard ceiling stained really helps it stand out. Again, happy with the way it came out.

Bonus: found that Napanee chimney cabinet on the trash!
Attachments
IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2124.JPG (428.64 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham