I Took the Plunge!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
MJ1987
Been here a while

Re: I Took the Plunge!

Post by MJ1987 »

@1918ColonialRevival: Thanks! I'd love to find out if it came from a catalog. It seems like a pattern house, but I've only got a limited number of original pattern book resources to look through. Maybe I can find it online. I'm pumped to have the windows, but they do need a lot of work. Sash cords are all painted and/or rotted, so the weights don't work. I haven't done any investigating regarding pockets or whether moldings need to be popped. Previous owner mentioned the date under the cast iron kitchen sink--1939. But the house is all chestnut and I was under the impression that indicates an earlier build date. I'll have to add a pic of the garage when I get a chance.
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

MJ1987 wrote:@1918ColonialRevival: Thanks! I'd love to find out if it came from a catalog. It seems like a pattern house, but I've only got a limited number of original pattern book resources to look through. Maybe I can find it online. I'm pumped to have the windows, but they do need a lot of work. Sash cords are all painted and/or rotted, so the weights don't work. I haven't done any investigating regarding pockets or whether moldings need to be popped. Previous owner mentioned the date under the cast iron kitchen sink--1939. But the house is all chestnut and I was under the impression that indicates an earlier build date. I'll have to add a pic of the garage when I get a chance.
You may at some point find a board or boards with numbers stamped on them (subfloor or attic) that could help identify the kit # if the home was a kit. You can find examples of such online. There are several kit based internet communities. I'm not sure if the plan homes have communities. I've not yet had chance to come across such.

If it was made from local American chestnut, that would definitely help you age the house because of the fungal blight that decimated them by 1906 or so in that region. One of my professors at Alfred (NY) had a Victorian home with all American chestnut woodwork. Beautiful home.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Some pics of the garage. It's built directly on the dirt, so it's listed some over the years. The son of the last owner told me they pulled it back straight with the help of a nearby tree, a strong rope, and a 2x4. After they got it nearly straight they braced the rafters with cross-member 2x4's. Not a terrible job, actually. Take a look at the original siding, windows, and side door--pretty neat. I pulled 2 tons of vines of off it day 1; they were starting to grow through the siding causing some problems. It looked nice, but boy was it invasive.
Attachments
IMG_9463.JPG
IMG_9463.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1366 times
IMG_9462.JPG
IMG_9462.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1366 times
IMG_9461.JPG
IMG_9461.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1366 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

(English) ivy - how I LOATHE that crap! The vines creep across the ground and grow roots all along, forming huge clumps underground, up to say 10" deep! They can even grow through cracks in brick walls and blow them apart! I've got half a back garden full of the stuff to deal with and have already dug up half a driveway full of it elsewhere. If I were you, I'd dig up the whole area a foot deep and get rid of anything that looks like ivy!

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Love , love, love your new home! It is just charming. I am excited to see interior pictures and I second the notion to live in the house for a while before making cosmetic changes. But it sounds like you are into the history so probably don't need that advice!

We had a similar carriage house, on dirt, and listing. We added a two car garage (for the 1969 Charger) to the carriage house. My husband used a come-along to pull the carriage house straight and built a foundation for it before starting the work on the new garage.

I am sure you are beginning a great adventure! I hope we get to tag along.
Diane

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Texas_Ranger wrote:(English) ivy - how I LOATHE that crap! The vines creep across the ground and grow roots all along, forming huge clumps underground, up to say 10" deep! They can even grow through cracks in brick walls and blow them apart! I've got half a back garden full of the stuff to deal with and have already dug up half a driveway full of it elsewhere. If I were you, I'd dig up the whole area a foot deep and get rid of anything that looks like ivy!

Funny, because I love it--aesthetically, it's certainly old house friendly. Managing it can be a pain, but if done with vigilance, it can be rewarding. These vines need to be slashed and cut back tremendously, but as long as it's not bamboo, I'm not too worried.
Matt

-Edwin Markham

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Omigosh, bamboo! My elderly neighbors had a bamboo forest in their yard until last year when he got too old to maintain it. He had it bulldozed and dug up--in his yard. Guess who still has it popping up in her yard?
Bonnie

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Powermuffin wrote:Love , love, love your new home! It is just charming. I am excited to see interior pictures and I second the notion to live in the house for a while before making cosmetic changes. But it sounds like you are into the history so probably don't need that advice!

We had a similar carriage house, on dirt, and listing. We added a two car garage (for the 1969 Charger) to the carriage house. My husband used a come-along to pull the carriage house straight and built a foundation for it before starting the work on the new garage.

I am sure you are beginning a great adventure! I hope we get to tag along.
Diane

Thanks! Will try for some interior pics today.

I'm such a purist when it comes to cosmetic changes. Everyone is really pushing for me to get a pedestal sink for the bathroom, but I can see the ghosting on the wall from where the 24" wall-hung sink was mounted, right down to the rounded corners. I think it's far less practical than a vanity with storage , but it's just too modern looking for me. I will, however, be adding a shower head and curtain-hoop attachment to the clawfoot--I have to draw the line somewhere! :shifty:

I've got a '52 Ford F1 that I'd like to stay garage-kept, but there's no way it'll fit in the current garage. Plus, I need the extra storage for lawn equipment, storage, house parts ;-) etc. I would kill to do what your husband did, but my lot may be too small. My understanding is the borough is pretty tough when it comes to FAR. Only time will tell. Looking forward to sharing the journey!
Matt

-Edwin Markham

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

As promised, interior "before" pics. Will post bathroom pics later on. It's too rough right now to photo!
Attachments
Dining room into kitchen
Dining room into kitchen
IMG_9475.JPG (763.79 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Dining room from family room
Dining room from family room
IMG_9474.JPG (745.12 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Family room looking right from front door
Family room looking right from front door
IMG_9472.JPG (721.78 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Staircase, looking left from front door
Staircase, looking left from front door
IMG_9471.JPG (797.15 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Stairway landing/window, looking downward from 2nd floor hall
Stairway landing/window, looking downward from 2nd floor hall
IMG_9470.JPG (699.85 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Back/master bedroom 1
Back/master bedroom 1
IMG_9469.JPG (694.98 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Back/master bedroom 2
Back/master bedroom 2
IMG_9468.JPG (687.49 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Tiny front bedroom, likely office
Tiny front bedroom, likely office
IMG_9466.JPG (749.8 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Front bedroom, pic 1
Front bedroom, pic 1
IMG_9465.JPG (702.76 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Front bedroom, pic 2
Front bedroom, pic 2
IMG_9464.JPG (705.09 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

More pics. Included the underside of the farm sink. Seems to be marked 10 4 37. Is it just me, or does the cabinet look 40s/50s?
Attachments
Sink maker stamp
Sink maker stamp
IMG_9482.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1325 times
Date stamp?
Date stamp?
IMG_9479.JPG (654.66 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Sink unit
Sink unit
IMG_9478.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1325 times
Looking from sink toward front family room
Looking from sink toward front family room
IMG_9477.JPG (742.12 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Kitchen view from dining room doorway
Kitchen view from dining room doorway
IMG_9476.JPG (673.86 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Matt

-Edwin Markham