I Took the Plunge!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Don M

Re: I Took the Plunge!

Post by Don M »

Beautiful job on the woodwork, always wonder why someone would paint that, it's so good looking!

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Don M wrote:Beautiful job on the woodwork, always wonder why someone would paint that, it's so good looking!

Thanks, Don! It's a slow process, as I'm sure you know. I can't imagine owning a house with wood this beautiful and not enjoying it everyday. Originally I didn't think I'd strip inside every bedroom, but once I saw it--it was love at first sight. I can, however, understand why people don't strip once it's already painted :crazy:
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

I know this happened a while back (May to be exact), but I guess I never posted any photos of the new roof. I opted to roof over the existing three-tab shingle with Timberline Sienna series asphalt shingle in aged oak. It was hard to capture the full gravity of the change, but take a look for yourself. From my research and one photo of the house from the 1960s (photo shows the roof looking like it had been on for decades), I think this style shingle had been on the house for a LONG time--maybe even since the beginning.
Attachments
9696DB80-413A-4FA0-9807-5916E26D4045_zpszh4v7wi1.JPG
9696DB80-413A-4FA0-9807-5916E26D4045_zpszh4v7wi1.JPG (731.19 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
7D95ADF0-E1D2-4CAC-991F-E320780DACE2_zpshucngqfn.JPG
7D95ADF0-E1D2-4CAC-991F-E320780DACE2_zpshucngqfn.JPG (767.41 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
Last edited by MJ1987 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

-Edwin Markham

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

It suits the house - looks great!

Don M

Post by Don M »

The new roof looks great, my milk house attached to the bank barn had those shingles too.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Don M wrote:The new roof looks great, my milk house attached to the bank barn had those shingles too.

Thanks! A few of my neighbors paid some nice compliments and followed up with "You opted for the hurricane shingles, huh? To be honest, the fact that they're more wind resistant is just a peripheral benefit. We're pretty far inland, so strong coastal storms and/or weather events aren't really a consideration. I'm happy because their look is definitely "old house friendly".
Matt

-Edwin Markham

Don M

Post by Don M »

Interesting, I never heard them called that but it’s all good!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

MJ, we just had the same roof installed on Gothichome, only in the hardour mist colour. Including Daniel with the Old Vic that’s three of us now with same roof.
Oh, Don, good to see your name up on the board again.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Love all the work on the home, just beautiful! I have never before seen the type of door trim you have. It is very, very nice! It looks A&C to me, but still I have not seen it on other A&C homes. Is it popular to that era and or part of the country?

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Powermuffin wrote:Love all the work on the home, just beautiful! I have never before seen the type of door trim you have. It is very, very nice! It looks A&C to me, but still I have not seen it on other A&C homes. Is it popular to that era and or part of the country?

Thank you! I haven't either, but I'm always hesitant to think it's one of a kind. It has stained up beautifully. I've given it a darker tone to try to match more of the aged patina (I think woodwork tends to darken over time because it's shellacked). Straight lines and chestnut definitely scream Arts & Crafts to me, but the house is definitely a 1920s transitional/hybrid of A&C and Clonial Revival (false Gambrel roof but typical A&C trim). Either way, it's a really neat little combo!
Matt

-Edwin Markham