Just Bought a Philly Rowhouse

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Mick_VT

Re: Just Bought a Philly Rowhouse

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey there Devyn, welcome to the District! :wave: :wave: :thumbup:
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Welcome, Devyn. My dad spent his younger years in a rowhouse before his folks moved the family to the burbs.

I think it's fantastic that you found one off a lovely park as well as the fact that the home still retains so much that is original.

Thank you for the vid and pictures, and I look forward to your posts in the future as well. :wave:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

It was a pleasure looking through your pics.
Did the stairwell go up one more level (ie. to the roof) at one time? Seeing the banister end in front of the window and attached via a metal angle bracket makes me wonder. The sudden termination of the baseboard makes me think that's where the stair stringer met with it. A newel post would make a more finished banister terminal.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

OurPhillyRow
Settling in

Post by OurPhillyRow »

Olson185 wrote:It was a pleasure looking through your pics.
Did the stairwell go up one more level (ie. to the roof) at one time? Seeing the banister end in front of the window and attached via a metal angle bracket makes me wonder. The sudden termination of the baseboard makes me think that's where the stair stringer met with it. A newel post would make a more finished banister terminal.

:-) :-)

Thanks! I too am quite curious as to why the banister ends like it does. There is no evidence that the stairs went any higher (the rafters in the attic show no signs of being different in that area). All of the 14 houses on the block were built at the same time (and share many identical features), and none of them have stairs to the roof. The baseboard has a finished end with the base cap turning vertical. I had considered that the window was enlarged, but the wall is masonry, and the window casings match the door and window casings house throughout the rest of the house (except for the public spaces on the main floor where I am guessing it to be Greek Revival.) It doesn't make sense that it would just end like that.

I do have a lot of mysteries to solve about what is (and is not) original. The doors throughout the house are all four panel doors, about 1" thick, with visible mortises on the edges, small hinges, and rim-locks. I am pretty sure they are all original.

Using city directories, I have been able to track several occupants on the block backwards to 1853. None of them are on that block in the 1852 directory. I also know from an 1849 land use map, that there were no structures on that block before 1850. Based on these findings, (and until I can really do the research), I believe the entire block was constructed in 1851-1852 time frame.
Devyn - Old House Lover
1852 Brick Rowhouse - Philadelphia

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Regarding similar tile being in a few neighboring vestibules - people had the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality, even at the turn of the 20th century. Since they were built in the 1850s, most of those rowhouses probably saw their first significant renovations in the 1890s and 1900s. One neighbor probably selected the tile to their liking. Others saw it and decided they had to have the same or very similar.

In my neighborhood, which was constructed between 1910 and 1925, it was Florida windows. Metal framed windows with horizontal glass louvers that open and shut using a crank. These were popular in beach houses during the post-WWII era through probably the early 1960s. Evidently one neighbor got them installed on their third floor landing and soon everyone else had to have them. Never mind these were designed for patios and sunrooms.

Also, I forgot to mention, I believe you're right on the living room mantel. The Neoclassical revival mantels came back on the scene in the 1890s and remained popular through the 1910s. Based on it, the tile, and the furnace upgrade, I'd say your first renovation happened closer to 1895, but probably not much later than 1900.

Do you have a backyard? If so, you might have an old privy or two out there holding treasures!

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

I absolutely adore your row house. What a treat to see an old brick row mostly intact! I think your staircase is fantastic and the whole place just shouts out possibilities. Best of luck with your future work! I love Philly and visit when I can, not being that far from me. It's a great city.

Cheers!
Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

OurPhillyRow
Settling in

Post by OurPhillyRow »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:...In my neighborhood, which was constructed between 1910 and 1925, it was Florida windows. Metal framed windows with horizontal glass louvers that open and shut using a crank. These were popular in beach houses during the post-WWII era through probably the early 1960s. Evidently one neighbor got them installed on their third floor landing and soon everyone else had to have them. Never mind these were designed for patios and sunrooms.

Also, I forgot to mention, I believe you're right on the living room mantel. The Neoclassical revival mantels came back on the scene in the 1890s and remained popular through the 1910s. Based on it, the tile, and the furnace upgrade, I'd say your first renovation happened closer to 1895, but probably not much later than 1900.

Do you have a backyard? If so, you might have an old privy or two out there holding treasures!

Thank you 1918ColonialRevival - Ahh yes, I knew those windows as jalousie windows growing up in California. Not exactly energy efficient or secure.

Our next door neighbor has their original marble mantle with hearth. I wold have preferred the original mantle, but this one has it's merits. Because it is the heat duct for the room, I am considering installing a vented cast iron summer screen surrounded with tile, once I get the big projects done.

Backyard? Well, if you call a 12'x16' concrete pad surrounded by six foot cinder-block walls a backyard, sure! It's actually considered a moderate sized outdoor space for the area. Given that I have lived in apartments for the past 30 years, I am thrilled to have even that space.

I have no doubts that there are treasures of some sort or another buried under the concrete slap. Not only where there privies back there, they kept horses in the back too! In much of pre-1875 Philly, you will find narrow tunnel like passages between houses, often split between two houses. I don't know the official name for these passageways, I call them horse walks (See photo example) but they may have another name. They were built just wide enough and tall enough to bring a horse through from the street to the back yard stable. We have access to one through our neighbors rear yard.
Devyn - Old House Lover
1852 Brick Rowhouse - Philadelphia

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

I just took a break from work in my office to catch up on here, and all I can say is "welcome!" and "WOW!"

I love the original details that you still have! If I lived near you (which I don't, but PA is the land of half of my forefathers... Pennsylvania Dutch), I would be knocking on your door with a pound cake and my heat gun, ready to help you strip that staircase. :happy-jumpyellow:

I am looking forward to seeing what you do!

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Hi Devyn! Welcome to the neighborhood. What a great house you have. So many original details just waiting to come alive again. For me, half the fun of old houses is solving the mysteries of the house, discovering the whys and whens of things. Looking forward to following your progress.

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Beautiful house! The tile work is especially great!

My Dad grew up on 9th and Federal.

Chris