New here :)

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Sweetpeastacy
Just Arrived

New here :)

Post by Sweetpeastacy »

Hello, everyone! I had been lurking around for awhile after I found the page while looking up how to restore an old chandelier. Anyway, I am Stacy. My husband and I bought our first home in April of 2015. It is a 1932 "cape cod" style house in Northern California.
My husband wanted a new house and I wanted old, but after looking for what seemed like forever, our realtor led us to this gem. It is actually a mix of old and new, the kitchen is new and the bathroom is more updated than the rest of the house. The funny thing about this house is that it was the house of my Grandmother's childhood best friend. My great great Grandmother's house is three doors down, so I grew up coming to this neighborhood. My dad bought the house two doors down from me a few weeks after we bought this one. We have several original features of the house, including wall sconces, light fixtures, doorknobs, floors, etc. Recently I have been wanting to add a few more age appropriate things to the house and feel more like I am living in the era. I know my house is not as "old" as some on here, but I think it qualifies as being old enough!
I have a few Pictures from the real estate listing but it will not let me load them. Maybe later!

Mick_VT

Re: New here :)

Post by Mick_VT »

Hi Sweetpeastacy, welcome to the District! :wave: :wave: :thumbup:
Mick...

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Welcome!

"Old" is relative. In North America, 100 years is "old". In Europe, 100 kilometers is a long way...

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Welcome Stacy! You'll find alot of friendly, knowledgable folk here. Looking forward to pics ;)

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

mjt wrote:Welcome!

"Old" is relative. In North America, 100 years is "old". In Europe, 100 kilometers is a long way...

Honestly, even though we've got some medieval buildings left, 100 years still easily qualifies a house as "old" in Europe. I do feel a bit strange when people talk about 1960s houses as old but in all honesty, by now they are. And while people (including myself) tend to think of the two world wars as major turning points in architectural styles, there's really a continuum of developments that started well before the wars and carried on across them. Just to give you an example: most people think of pre-WWI houses as richly ornamented with cast stucco decorations all over the front. Yet there are ca.-1910 houses that didn't have any of that, just flat smooth stucco facades. The most famous of them caused an uproar, it was called "the house without eyebrows" by contemporary critics. During the 1920s that style rather became the norm.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome stacy!
how nice that you have a connection to the neighborhood that goes back a ways and that your dad is close by...
yup, we're a friendly helpful bunch here...there are guidelines to help in loading photos...
....jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sweatpeastacy, welcome to the district. 1932 home fits in well with the eclectic mix of older homes we have in the district, each one with its own story and quirks. The fact you dought a home of some vintage and your desire to keep the period feel of your home fits in nicely with the general mood in this forum. Once again welcome and look forward to pics, has any one mentioned we love pics?

Sweetpeastacy
Just Arrived

Post by Sweetpeastacy »

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. I will try to figure the pictures out later. We have a busy day ahead!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Adding my welcome as well as saying I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. :wave:

Are you trying to upload the pics to our gallery, or can't link them in your posts from another site? If you're trying to make a gallery for yourself, go to your control panel (upper right corner on any page, it's a drop down from your name). Once on your control panel page, you'll see your "gallery" tab all the way on the right. From there you can create albums and sub-albums and upload your pictures.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Sweetpeastacy
Just Arrived

Post by Sweetpeastacy »

Oh, I was just trying to attach images from my phone, which is what I usually browse the internet on. It was telling me they were the wrong size?