Delayed Introduction

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
NancyDID
Just Arrived

Delayed Introduction

Post by NancyDID »

Hi, I'm Nancy. I stumbled upon this site in January and joined, but never introduced myself. I am obsessed with historic buildings, but have no practical, physical skills. I've practiced business and real estate law in Florida for many years, but my historic building obsession led me to go back to school for a Master's in historic preservation. I accomplished that goal while temporarily living in an 1873 house in CT (my dream house, but located in the wrong state.) The rest of the time I lived, mostly, in cookie cutter, "new construction" homes. Two years ago, I bought my first Florida "historic" property. It was built in 1950 and retains mostly original bathrooms, wood flooring and an amazing, decidedly un-MCM living room/dining room. The house was mostly neglected by my sellers (looooong story), but they did convert what I think was once a garage and then a maid's quarters and workshop into a uniquely-shaped and appointed suite. However, they used one-of-a-kind plumbing fixtures so, I learned after moving in, in order to replace the shower head, I will have to rip the walls out. The original plumbing fixtures in the older part of the house are in much better shape.

On the professional side, I am also involved in real estate development and part of a team who is rehabilitating older properties.

Mick_VT

Re: Delayed Introduction

Post by Mick_VT »

Welcome to the District NancyDID :wave: :wave: :thumbup:

As always, and as you likely know already, we like to see pictures if you have any :D

Don't give up on the plumbing oddities, folks like those at deabath.com can often help avoid the situations like you describe...

I should add that I completely built a bathroom from scratch using only hardware from before World War I so I have some experience in making this stuff work. Most of it does, the hardest bit is usually odd sizes on threads - and those can usually be custom cut if necessary, or often cross referenced to other things like commercial or gas fittings
Mick...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Hi Nancy.

Welcome ! I second the request for photos. Intact vintage bathrooms and kitchens are my favourites.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome NancyDID. Another scholar amongst us. You probably know we have many mid century folks here in the District. Your one of those fine people trying save and repurpose those fine old DT building I hope.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Welcome from a fellow Floridian and former owner of a early 50's ranch with a completely original master bathroom with the pink tile.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Welcome.

I am looking forward to your stories, pictures and chatting about MCM stuff in general. :wave:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

NancyDID
Just Arrived

Post by NancyDID »

I posted some pictures in my Gallery Album.

NancyDID
Just Arrived

Post by NancyDID »

Through my development company, we just finished rehabilitating a severely neglected 1940 house and we are working on one that was built in 1928, according to the property appraiser. It is a Folk Victorian with a carriage house, both of which, I hear, were moved from another location so they may be even older than reported. It has been used as a duplex, but we are converting it back into a single family and putting an internal staircase back in. We also have another house we are working on that was built in 1915.

Thank you all for your responses and I look forward to reading more about your houses and experiences.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

So with your company with houses like these, do you oversee the decision regarding historic aspects specifically, or is that just one aspect your employees handle and you only get consulted when they're not sure?
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Welcome from Pennsylvania, I look forward to hearing & seeing more about you & your MCM home!

Wow, Your pictures are very impressive, your house appears quite large & elegant.