Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Post by Lily left the valley »

The rain has mostly held off today, mostly just the overcast grays with some sprinkles. Everything we had planned for when Sean got home got put off because he's just tuckered out and it looks like he might have Thurs/Fri off afterall, so we decided he should rest. I know in his mind he'd rather get the moving out finished sooner rather than later, but he'd also rather move stuff in daylight as much as possible (no porch light outside the 3 season here, and only some light from the neighbor's security at the garage here as well). We still have loads of time to get out of here, so I have to keep reminding myself this isn't one of those moves where we need to hustle.

We did drop some things off with Beebe on the way home from the grocery store. Some things we had plumb ran out of at the apartment because, you know, we thought we'd be moved by now so we were trying to scale back on groceries so we didn't have to move them later. :) I may take one trip back over with the rest of the curtains, but who knows. I might actually go to bed early tonight instead--woo!

Tomorrow the plan is to move the futon/frame after he gets home, some essentials, Kira and her stuff. So we hope to sleep there tomorrow night. That way even if the internet folks show up early on Thursday, I'll already be there. (Sometimes, if they have a cancellation, they'll try to push appointments earlier.) There's plenty of cleaning to do over there still, and I can start unpacking as I wait too. We also have to bring the main part of the stove over, the hood and base are already there. We might wait on that until Thursday though. I was lucky when we bought the stove because then the main body got carried by the spouse of the seller plus Sean, but this time it'll be me as the helper.

I kinda do hope he has at least Thursday off, as that was when the realtor said he might have more showings here at the apartment. With my luck, they'll need letting in just as the internet folks show up at Beebe. :P

In all honesty, I'm really happy with how much has been moved over so far. We're not sure just yet when we'll get the box truck for the piano and the few other large pieces we have. (Did I ever post a photo of the pieces we got from his retired co-worker, or did I just shoot the broken vanity mirror? I can't recall.) I'm actually realizing there is lots of stuff folks here prolly haven't seen yet..the piano especially. She's lovely, but needs some work done. The piano is older than the house! (1880-something) I think the furnishings from the co-worker are too, if memory serves, but not as much. We are not looking forward to getting the wardrobe/chiffarobe/whatever-it-is upstairs. Getting it downstairs from his co-worker's was tricky enough. It may serve as the closet by the side door in the dining room for a long while. :lol:

So depending on if he gets called in somewhere for those other two days or not, we -might- be done moving out by next week sometime. Time will tell. :confusion-waiting:

Phil, somewhere...I have some notes where our inspector noted swaps with a hot/neutral, but I think they were all at the Carpenter Gothic. I knew we had a few 2 prong only, but I forgot how many. I do have a few testers of various types, but never did get around to buying the fancy types you pointed out. I did realize for the first time the other day that the dining room is all the old brown 2 prongs. So at some point, I'll have to go around and see which are updated or not and tally a list. I've swapped them out before (switches and outlets), so the only issues will be if any of them were installed as "floaters" and not attached to any supports or if any of them were never ground properly. The one near the built-in ironing board, the faceplate is a bit off, and might be that way as far as what it was attached to or not. The others I don't recall off hand if they were or not, though I do need to pick up a plate for the four plug that doesn't have one in the guestroom.

Powermuffin wrote:Congratulations of becoming a home owner. The house looks great! I love that kitchen sink. I would have bought the house just to get that. And that shed dormer is perfect too.
Thankies! One thing I did read recently on another restoration site is that folks who have that style say they get splashed a lot because they tend to not be too deep. So I'm going to check that when we go back because so far that I've used it, I haven't been so I'm not sure. We have aprons anyhoo, so even if the bowl portion is shallow, we'll be okies. The basement laundry sink is the usual really deep variety (as opposed to the "did they use this for photo processing?" depth we saw at the Carpenter Gothic.), so that won't be a problem there.

Wackyshack wrote:Great house and I would love to know if you have an idea of the age of the linoleum in your tiny closet. By the looks of it, I have the same patch in my upstairs storage area and would love to zero in on the era it was dropped there.

Good luck with the house, it is fantastic!
Thankies, Wackyshack. Oh neat! Long distance twinsie floors. I might be able to get some info off of what's in the closet if it's not glued down, the parts on the basement stairs, less likely. (For all I know, there could be more of it in the baths or even the kitchen too--could even be some scraps in the attic.)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

Congrats. What an adorable house. I have the exact same stairway, only 80 miles away. And those kitchen cabinets. (swoon). And that built in (double swoon). And the tiny linen closet (triple swoon).

I need to stop before I faint.

Many happy returns in your new home!

Lily left the valley

I know Sean gets paid tomorrow, even though most of it is already accounted for with various moving needs. However, I have to admit, when I looked at the numbers in our various accounts tonight, all I could think was, "What will we do if some hideous Uh-Oh rears its ugly head?" :shhh: I then spent the next three minutes knocking anything even remotely wood-like nearby. (I blame my reading some entries from the "Devil Queen" blog not long ago on this. Of course, what they undertook was WAY different. It also brought to mind Spangler's "Disaster House" blog, which is a bit closer to our reality, although I fervently hope we do not experience a fraction of what they have.)

Yesterday was a lot of nothing getting moved over. I wasn't exactly thrilled about this because I know the temperature is dropping like a stone again. (Snow! More snow too on Friday--but just a dusting predicted :handgestures-fingerscrossed:) I suspect Sean was thinking about how he was going to be spending the next two days moving stuff and decided, "Nope", as one show to relax before packing turned into more, then dinner, then...it was dark and I asked if we were going to pack up the car for at least one run even though I knew better at that point. He sort of sighed and said, "I'm tired. I better move the car before I get a ticket." (We have a no overnight street parking season here, and even if there isn't snow, we've heard that the police will ticket sometimes.) So I got up and unpacked all the sheets and blankets and made the bed back up. :-|

I mostly did laundry in anticipation of the move, since I don't know when we'll be getting a washing machine at this point--funds are likely going to be as tight as I feared for a short while at least. I am almost caught up on dishes in case the viewers show up today for the showing. I should be heading to bed myself, I am way overdue. A nap is better than nothing!

I've been in a weird head space since closing. My brain knows that the voyage on the Sloop of Frustration is over, but it also hasn't figured out how to shut off the "EVERYTHING IS AN EMERGENCY" twitch I've been stuck with for months in between the stretches of "absolutely nothing is happening and it'd sure be nice to know why"s. I guess my brain knows that what we'd been waiting for finally happened, so since it happened much later than scheduled, it thinks that means we're way behind schedule and it's supposed to be crisis time? I really don't know. :confusion-scratchheadyellow: Any day I didn't move stuff, it's been like this...antsy, brain on fire. I did get things done yesterday that will help the move along today, but it's not the same as the physical labor of hauling stuff. That, I've been finding to be a much better damper for the emergency alarm ringing in my head constantly.

I'm still wondering if the install will happen on time today. We did agree to pack up at least one computer for the first trip over just in case we get that "Uh, we had a cancellation. Any chance we can come now?" phone call. I know he really wants to get the rest of the stove over if only to get it done with. After that, we'll just see how it goes.

That reminds me...no one has gotten back to me from CL about refrigerators.

We're both very, very happy to have Beebe. We know that despite all our various stuff, we'll be out of this apartment before long. I actually wound up talking to our neighbor about it as I was dragging the trash to the curb. We like the couple downstairs, never really got to know the lady in the upstairs apartment past her infamous "This is how parking works here" note and the discussion after receiving it. (The same person who has a huge sign on her washing machine in the basement asking folks not to use that washer because it belongs to the apartment upstairs.) :crazy: Even though we'll only be moving two blocks away, I wonder how much we'll bump into them in the future. I hope at least once in a while. They're neat people. The couple I mean. The lady upstairs...well, she's never been outright rude is all I'll say.

SmellyHouse wrote:Congrats. What an adorable house. I have the exact same stairway, only 80 miles away. And those kitchen cabinets. (swoon). And that built in (double swoon). And the tiny linen closet (triple swoon).

I need to stop before I faint.

Many happy returns in your new home!

Thankies, SmellyHouse. I took a quick look at your blog, and I spotted a pretty nifty built in of yours before realizing the hour and bookmarking under my "after the move" folder. :D

I'm not sure, but I think what you think is the tiny linen closet is actually the coat closet in the parlor. The linen closet upstairs is awfully close in size, but has shelves top to bottom. That pic I took of the coat closet, I meant to get the hanging bar in it, but failed. I seem to be failing at photography a lot lately. :lol: I'll try to snap some better shots of both later when we move more stuff over.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I love that all the trim hasn't been painted in. that's a real bonus and I think it speaks about the appreciation that previous owners had for it's woodwork and heritage. It looks so original and not all chopped up and modified. I think you made a really good choice and I can only imagine how it will look after you two get settled. Its going to be a happy home and it already looks nice.

you have about 4" of the molding missing on the staircase. Dad showed me how to make a hand scraper to fit the old profile so you could do that and make just that little bit. I'll take a pic of the tool he helped me make up for doing that. Its a bit fiddly but it might be easier than trying to find that little bit to match the rest.

when you get Kira moved you might think about putting butter on her paws. I dont' know if it is an old wives tale or not and you'll find mixed opinions on that but many say it prevents them running away before they figure out where home is. Why? I am not sure but maybe it just makes them forget their paranoia until they get their paws clean or maybe it is something with the scent or maybe it is just an old wives tale but I see no harm in it and I've always done it with kittens. Cats hate change so I'm sure she will feel lost for a week or so so I'd try to keep her in if you can. I bought a collar for mine and put my phone number on it. she doesn't mind the collar at all and at least if she gets lost or hurt I have a good chance of getting a call. many put their cat's name on the collar but I couldn't see reason for that.

someone recently pointed out that cats only meow to their humans and not to other cats unless it's in defense and then it's more of a yeooowl than a meow. It kind of caught me that I'd never really thought of that but when I thought about it I found it pretty true. My cat has friends that visit but they dont' really "talk" they just make eyes and maybe practice their attack skills.

Lily left the valley

Crumbs. Managed to demolish my reply somehow. Long day, no surprise, really. :D If this gets rambly and confusing, that's kinda where my brain is right now.

I meant to take a picture of the linen closet, but that's when internet guy showed up.

Here's one I did mange to take of something I found looking at the floor in the lower kitchen cabinets. It was much easier to spot in daylight--wood just like in the rest of the house. 434 I realized today as I was sweeping (yep, they didn't even broom clean the place. Many other things were not cleaned up by whomever they had to do the paint/plaster job either. But hey! The house is ours! So...I get to clean up! Yeah! Erm... :think:

Where was I? Oh right...there are obvious spots of different finishes on the wood floor throughout. The linen cabinet floor is a much warmer hue than most of the home, even the hallway just outside the door. I even found a spot in the library today where you can see where sanding had been done (orbital, I'd guess) and missed a spot. Didn't have time for more pics, later after we're done moving in. Anyhoo, I wanted to lift back the vinyl strips plus the gray underlay, but..so much going on!

At some point, I have to take pictures of all the lino lurking in our home. Scraps! Many types, some with id info you can actually read clearly. So far, on shelves, stair treads and one closet floor. So many neat linos! One, I'd never seen anything like it that I could recall.

We still have a lot to move, but made a decent dent today--even the realtor showing the apartment commented on the difference. Two showings at the apartment, Sean was over there for that. I got back from the internet install as the second was showing up. Then I packed up Kira and all her stuff while he brought the frame and futon over, then she and her stuff got loaded up with a bit more, we hit KFC for chicken bowls on the way home and now we're both realizing we have to put the frame back together so we don't have to sleep with the futon on the floor. Yep, one of those kinds of days. (He also did another run back because he had left something, and of course he couldn't bring back just that. :lol: )

The house really wasn't left clean, but she did also sit for a long while even after enduring the renters too. She looks good to us now, but even with just a thorough cleaning, she'll be even better I realized today.

Many discoveries today, two possible uh-ohs, but we're beat and I don't think Kira's going to put the frame together for us. :lol:

phil wrote:{snip}you have about 4" of the molding missing on the staircase. Dad showed me how to make a hand scraper to fit the old profile so you could do that and make just that little bit. I'll take a pic of the tool he helped me make up for doing that. Its a bit fiddly but it might be easier than trying to find that little bit to match the rest.
Yep, I'm aware and that'd be great when you have time as another side is sheared halfway off as well. I did find a piece of pristine baseboard being used as the short end of an L shelf in the office closet, which I thought was pretty interesting. The entire shelf in there is all patchwork of other wood. I'll try to take a picture some time.

Kira was a rescue. The folks who had her before me left her behind when they left their apartment (fleeing from the law). So anytime she starts to see moving boxes, she goes bananas. To the point of being physically ill. We made sure she wasn't alone for long today until we could get her over here, so Sean and I swapped off who was with her as much as we could manage. Then we left her in her crate until I got her stuff set up, and I did the usual, "Here's your food. Here's your bed in the office. Here's your scratching post, etc." Once she knows she's not been left behind, she settles in just fine. I've heard of the butter thing before, but never done it with my cats despite all the moves. They all would complain for the first 20 minutes or so in the car/truck each time, but usually settled down and were happy to have a new place to explore. Kira was the only one I ever had moving issues with, but it was due to what happened to her as a kitten, and by now with all the moving we've done, the routine is kind of down pat. The great news is this is the LAST time we will have to do this with her. She can live out the rest of her days with Beebe.

She did do something we can't figure out, because we heard something slide and she came in gently limping. I checked her out and she didn't protest, so I think she's ok. Otherwise she'd be a yowling mess if she did hurt it badly. She did take a liking to the radiator in our bedroom. I think she likes the hiss in there the best. Reminded me of when Mendel was still around, and he would talk to our furnace.

Kira sometimes cusses at us like she does other cats. One of the downstairs cats at the apartment, Harry, would come visit her when the weather was warm enough for screens to be in. She would cuss him up a storm, and he would just sit there any take it.

Mendel only ever cussed at humans when we lived in a motel that had been converted to apartments, so folks would quite literally walk right by our window. He scared the heck out of folks until they got used to him. Then we moved across the way to the townhouse side, and he never bothered anyone on that side because we were the level above the general walkway. He really was the most dog like cat I've ever known. Even loved water to death. Would hop right in the shower.

Og was never as vocal overall. All of them would snip at each other in play, but not often.

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

It's gorgeous! I am so jealous of the unpainted woodwork. Congratulations!
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

Lily left the valley

First snow at Beebe today for us. Look like it'll only be an inch or so, but still! We're finally heading over to the apartment to have breakfast, then it'll be a day of laundry and moving more stuff.

BlakeHillHouse wrote:It's gorgeous! I am so jealous of the unpainted woodwork. Congratulations!

Thankies, Stacy. We are so very happy to finally have our own home. :happy-partydance:

Lily left the valley

So today was windows and moving stuff.

Tomorrow is my gaming day, and there may be a showing at some point. Sean will be back to work. We might do another run or two depending on when he gets home from work. He's subbing at another PO, so he never knows which route he'll get until he gets there.

If I have time, I'm going to try to start tackling the downstairs bath so we don't have to shower at the apartment anymore. This will be, I think, the first time I've had to use my shop vac first when cleaning a bathroom after moving into a new place--including the tub. Whomever did the work was sloppy. We're starting to think they hired someone, then didn't pay them, or the hired hand went AWOL, because so many things aren't finished. There's plaster or spackle in the tub. So I have to get that out somehow without marring the finish without letting it go down the drain so we don't immediately clog up the drain. They also never cleaned up the mold near the cracked caulk that really needs a scrape out and redo. Fun times ahead! Now the work will really start in between moving the last bits.

I should at least take featured Drunken Weasel photos of the bath and add some commentary to them--it might be all the time I have for the bathroom tomorrow. We are still marveling at what they didn't touch, and what they did remuddle in there. I have seen some pink peeking out where seams weren't filled on what I thought was Corcoran tile but turned out to be fancy stamp molded fiberboard panels. I don't know if the pink behind is paint or tiles yet. The panels are screwed to the wall in some places using standard building screws.

I am also starting to notice a trend in that one color can oft be seen where the Drunken Weasels did a sloppy job. If you've ever bottom painted a boat, you may have used one that is very special green. The color is partially due to the copper oxidation process that tries to keep the barnacles and other clingers off the bottom. [The pic below is the first one I spotted--no relation to the boat other than wanting to show the color.]Image

That is close enough to the green that is peeking out all over the place, and now that I made the connection, I know why it's so pleasantly familiar. Every year, my grandfather would bottom paint his modest Kris Kraft boat, and we'd naval jelly what needed it. Every year we'd (the extended family) would spend a lot of time on that boat, mostly catching flounders and trolling for blues. What we fished each year, he'd clean after in the backyard and freeze. The guts went into the compost for my grandparents' various gardens.

Now all my grandparents are passed away, so little things that make me think of them and the happy times are always good to find, where ever the may be. :D

I wonder if back in the day, that color was the equivalent to the now "everywhere in the home" blah beige (the child of French Vanilla and Cool White). I've seen some turquoise variants, so maybe?

What I was really surprised by was that not only in the downstairs sink what they used for their clean up, but on that same faucet is the boat bottom green as well. So maybe the green isn't old? I kinda hope not, or no one has seriously cleaned that sink in waaaayyy too long.

Even though most of the rooms are fairly breeze free, the office has a brisk underchill, mostly coming from the west window that is still missing half a storm. *sighs* At least the rest of the house is toasty. Upstairs is a wee bit cooler, but with the wind and still no insulation in the attic, I'm not surprised at all. It's down to 26°F now, and the winds are still holding about the same as earlier. They also changed the forecast out of nowhere, and are now predicting 1-2" of snow, which means we'll get at least that much. Sean will have a miserable day back tomorrow. (High of 12° expected.)

I might have to dig out my glass cutter sooner than planned if the lion wants to roar a bit longer before allowing the lamb to usher in spring.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I wonder if you have a vintage pink bathroom hiding under those improvements ?

Lily left the valley

Willa wrote:I wonder if you have a vintage pink bathroom hiding under those improvements ?

I'm wondering as well. I'm a bit sad to admit it, but I'm not a pink lady. Maybe I could pass it along, though. Time will tell. :confusion-waiting:

(I was really hoping for a way cool yellow/black or even turquoise/black deco bath--I knew it was unlikely though since the sconces and fixtures are white.)