Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Post by phil »

I'm sure you can restore the kitchen floor if you aren't shy about replacing any boards that are too thin or damaged. The kitchen floor will see more wear than other areas so depending how it looks under what is there , you might decide to sand or replace it with other reclaimed flooring. If you have a defect, say an old hole from a pipe or something you can replace ony one part even in the middle of the flooring.

i think you can expect that the nails will have blackened wood near them because water used in the kitchen gets under the lyno and sort of gets trapped there.. mine had something like that originally and it was pretty rough when I got right down and removed all the layers. It hadn't been sanded but I had some work to do to get rid of the black marks, set all the nails, sand etc.

I think the marmoleum would look just as nice and maybe take the wear better. Probably also less difficult to live through. Maybe what you could do is fit some in interesting ways sort of like intarsia. I could see you having some fun at a table fitting bits together in an artistic way and then combing that into your flooring once it's complete.

I restored my kitchen floor but i also really had to sand it . in one place it cracked a bit as the reclaimed stuff i used was a different thickness and it caused a crack but i can fix that with epoxy without opening up the whole floor again. If I drop stuff, like a can or something it does dent the fir. I had to go room by room to do them all and now I have no transitions or carpet or other types of flooring but it was a ton of work. The one exception , my bathroom needs a gut job. I dont think restoring the flooring its really less expensive than other cover up solutions but it is possible.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Phil- From what I can see from the cellar below, no plumbing was ever moved and it doesn't seem like there's any older holes from a different location for an electric stove plug.

The hardest part is the starting in earnest, really. Because it will require moving a lot out and with as busy as Sean's been with work he doesn't want any major changes right now and likely won't be around much to help lug anything (like our cast iron stove). Right now, I just take up bits where they're not in foot traffic space when I have time to take a bit more up.

I don't remember if I mentioned that in the one spot where I started pulling more of the old damaged -oleum up under the half hoosier that I noticed the wood was at one time painted white! Honestly, I would love to get the custom Marmoleum in the pattern I found in that old catalog picture, but we just can't afford it now nor anytime soon.

It's too soon to tell how much of the wood was blackened from the tar paper under it. I'm thinking the paint might have prevented that, but time will tell when I get that far in the removal process.

The downstairs bath is going to be a nightmare when we get to it. I'm hoping to push that off for at least five years. :lol:

As it is, I'm currently trying to budget for when we will sooner than later have to replace the original waste plumbing lines that have pinholes--right over where the not so brand new washing machine is (and no easy way to put it elsewhere). :problem: That is one plumbing job I absolutely will leave to the pros, and the plumber we hired for the recent kitchen work knows I'll be calling him for that too.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

Reading about Phil's tinkering with washing machines made me think of our somewhat recently new machine. In all honesty, it was cheap. Our last washing machine we bought from a guy in town that used to have a small shop selling used washers & dryers. But the old drum was rusting out, and by the time it stopped spinning, he had retired and closed up his shop. No one local does such repairs now, and with the drum as it was we took the plunge on a black Friday sale. I don't hate the new washer, but I'm not fond of it either. I would have rather gotten another used one, but at the time for the cost Sean thought it best to just get a new one since it wasn't so different from what folks were selling used on CL. (I wish I was joking, but here used machines are a hot market so the prices are near to cheapest new from box stores.) I think that when this one goes (and given how cheap it was, I know we'll be lucky to get ten years out of it), I'll be looking to get another old one--but this time I'll check for rust!

Now that the worst of the Xmas rush purportedly is spinning down, I'm hoping Sean will start picking up some of his chores again next month. So I've been poking around at all the bits that just haven't been gotten to, as it were.

I've been working on seed saving from the Grandpa Otts we grew last year. I'd never worked with these before and though it's not difficult, due to the volume it's more time consuming than I'd realized it would be. Most of the rest of the saved seeds were done long ago. I've been trying to remember what one little bowl is, but am coming up blank. Somehow the scrap of paper I had tucked underneath took a walk. Next time, I will put them directly in an envelope with the name penciled on front!

After I finish that, I'll be installing the rails for the new-old not oak file cabinet. Then I won't have any excuses for why I haven't gone through the old paperwork (both from the old file cabinets as well as in boxes) because we'll have more room for it to be stored more functionally. I also need to put the remaining filing cabinet on Craig's List to get it out of here. Moving so often really was a mess because we just never got around to unpacking all the boxes overall since we knew we'd likely be moving soon after. Even when we came here, because we knew we'd be looking to buy a home near when our lease would be up. Tax time is coming, and I don't want to be surrounded by boxes in the office with their contents still needing a home. It's bad enough that Sean is terrible at filing paperwork, and I've just not been on the ball about whittling down the piles that form on his desk. Then maybe we can FINALLY put the area rug back down which will need a good cleaning as all the rugs will since we still haven't done any since moving in here. I still haven't figured out how to unfreeze the one metal wheel on the other office chair we picked up. I think I need to just soak it at this point because doing the spray/wire brush just hasn't done much to help. My desk chair's upholstery where it was worn has finally started to give its last gap in the usual wear spots on both arm rests and seat. I'm planning to use old jeans as fabric for that which we have plenty of since Sean's work is so hard on clothes! (Rural carriers don't have uniforms--they were everyday clothes.) This might sound odd, but the wear is on very specific parts of the jeans that quickly wear down to rips/holes. Then there was the oddity of one pair he bought at Salvo. The first time he bent down to pick up a heavy box, the seam at the crotch gave out. :oops: So that material is near perfect otherwise. I have managed to organize the office somewhat so far this winter, but there still is far to go.

Although I initially wanted to tackle painting the office and then working on refinishing what pieces need it in there, we both feel that making the kitchen more functional for our level of cooking and baking is more important. So I guess that's why this is on my mind at the moment, especially since the kitchen floor desperately needs some sort of attention. I already know how that will start the ball rolling on the entire room, and it will likely take a very long span of time to do it all. It will also just be a matter of time before we start pulling up the remaining cheap fake wood vinyl planking left in the dining/hall, and we have no way of knowing whether the -oleum in those areas will be damaged as we found in the kitchen. Because of how they adhere together and how brittle the tongue portions are, there's no way to just take a peek and put them back down even around the edges of the walls.

One thing we had received while getting something else from a family that was downsizing for a move across country was what was their kids' bureau and a short dresser set. Very modern and somewhat cheap make, but the bureau has been acting as further storage for baking items, given the size of the kitchen. The dresser has just been in the spare room and not being used since we've had no overnight guests. I'm at the point where I want to regift them to another family that might need them more. We've since picked up a few things that could temporarily fill in for the bureau until we get around to building more cabinetry for the kitchen.

Next, I finally remembered why I never finished the rain chain I was working on. When we had picked up a bunch of stuff (both free and dirt cheap from yard sales/second hand shop) that were destined for the craft room, both of our sides are just a mess. Buried deep was the partially finished project I was wondering where it had gone off to. I can't currently reach it, just managed to spot it. What made me groan was all the wasted space in there because Sean has a habit of only putting things one box high. So I've got a lot that's in the way to make enough space to finally start sorting out that room, plus some of the furniture bits we had picked up were just placed haphazardly because Sean had planned to paint a mural in there which he has had no real time to do. Prior, I had only been working on my makeshift "work table" that's made up of the one old counter top we picked up curbside around the corner plus the base was another random pickup we never permanently attached it to--it's just been resting on top for the time being which isn't really sturdy or safe. We had also picked up an older fashioned but modern made corner desk, and for now I just need to get it put back together and in place. Later I'll worry about whether to modify it to blend better with the feel of that room.

Until things get back to a true "normal" for the post office, although I have the bigger projects lingering in my mind, I'm trying desperately to be focused on the smaller bits like finishing the unpacking which has stalled. It's hard to believe that we've been here going on four years this March, and in just one case we have yet to fill all the shelves on bookcases we got our hands on two years ago because back then we weren't sure if we like the arrangement of mismatched cabinets. So the library is littered with boxes blocking said cases and piles of unpacked by not shelved books. :doh: So unpacking what's in there would be the last thing I might manage to get done before the weather warms enough to make me think of trying to start seedlings indoors. I'll worry about arrangements much later down the road.

I have no idea how far into this list I'll get before we're wrapped up in the garden, trying to make up for all we couldn't get to with him so busy last year. :P

Meanwhile, someone has 40 "pieces" of windows on Craig's List for free. And some of the sashes match the style of ours. We're seriously considering adding a three season porch along the back of the house, and these would be a fantastic find. Especially if some of the wood I'm seeing in the pictures is indeed other parts of those windows. I need to go write an email...
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily, I'm staying tuned to learn about washing machines. Mine is probably on its last legs, not because it's malfunctioning (yet) but because it's very old. I suspect it didn't get a whole lot of use with one tiny old lady living in the house before me and since then I've been there only 50% of the time. I've given it a workout though because it seems every task I do at that house results in filthy clothes. 1918 mentioned that he got a Speed Queen commercial washer, which sounds like my cup of tea. The tubs on these are usually stainless steel, if I remember correctly. Those that I found used were not cheap, but if the washer lasts, it's worth it.

Since I planted Grandpa Ott in Connecticut more than ten years ago, I've never saved seed, except to give away to others. The plant has been reliable in self-seeding. Once in a while at the end of the season, I'll take a branch from it and toss it where I'd like to see morning glories the next year. This has worked just fine. In the spring, the seedlings are easy to identify and pull if there are too many or they show up in the wrong place. I tend to be somewhat of a laissez-faire gardener so I rarely object to where Grandpa decides to plunk himself down.

I heartily support your plan for a three-season porch, especially since you're a gardener and with it you can get a jump on the season. Screens make it much more comfortable, especially if you get in the habit of taking meals out there. (My sleeping porch is on the 2nd floor but it's such a pleasant place to sit, I often take my meal upstairs and have it there.) A ceiling fan is also useful for driving mosquitoes away on summer nights. A little pot-bellied stove might add some weeks to your enjoyment of the space.

Lily left the valley

Manalto wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:02 pm{snip}A little pot-bellied stove might add some weeks to your enjoyment of the space.
More later when I'm a bit more awake, but this part of your post reminded me of the day the third burner on top of the stove frizzed. I turned to Sean and said, "Well, we could always gut this and turn it back into what the mold for it was made of--a wood cooking stove."

Also, the windows are still available. Poster says he's away for two weeks, but will contact me when he returns. I took another look at the pictures and then I realized one of them had what the ad says is a 48" x 48" wood window that looks like it might still have wavy glass in it. :romance-heartstiny:

And my first thought was "Hrm. Might be nice to put on the east side of the planned three season porch." Had to share it because it's not the usual, and the top bits are interesting because they're very unlike the rest of the windows listed.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lilly, it would be nice if it’s wavy glass. You do not often see sheets that big, even better if you can incorporate it into your porch . If you can pick up the whole lot for cheap, you could use the other frames to make a little lean to type green house for your seedlings or an incubator for your monarchs.

Lily left the valley

Gothichome wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:08 pm Lilly, it would be nice if it’s wavy glass. You do not often see sheets that big, even better if you can incorporate it into your porch . If you can pick up the whole lot for cheap, you could use the other frames to make a little lean to type green house for your seedlings or an incubator for your monarchs.
The lot of them is cheap--$0.00 (unless Sean agrees to the bigger one too and then we'd need to rent a truck--right now he's dithering about that).

It seems the poster fell for the "maintenance free" pitch and is now trying to avoid the cost of taking all the old bits to the dump.
Here's the ad: Old Window Panels

I'm still trying to figure out if what looks like framing I see in the first image is for the storm/screen panels (metal edged panels seem triple track style), or they actually ripped out the original windows whole scale. Since the title is "panels", it probably is for the storm system since they also mention "plenty scrap metal as well" in the ad. Edit: though now that I think of it, the hardware for the sash system could be lumped into the scrap category in their mind... :eusa-think:

Further Edit: Just got a response to my asking if he still had the pulley system, "I did have it .but already put in trash two weeks ago .sorry" :cry:

Lily left the valley

Manalto wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:02 pmLily, I'm staying tuned to learn about washing machines. Mine is probably on its last legs, not because it's malfunctioning (yet) but because it's very old. I suspect it didn't get a whole lot of use with one tiny old lady living in the house before me and since then I've been there only 50% of the time. I've given it a workout though because it seems every task I do at that house results in filthy clothes. 1918 mentioned that he got a Speed Queen commercial washer, which sounds like my cup of tea. The tubs on these are usually stainless steel, if I remember correctly. Those that I found used were not cheap, but if the washer lasts, it's worth it.

Since I planted Grandpa Ott in Connecticut more than ten years ago, I've never saved seed, except to give away to others. The plant has been reliable in self-seeding. Once in a while at the end of the season, I'll take a branch from it and toss it where I'd like to see morning glories the next year. This has worked just fine. In the spring, the seedlings are easy to identify and pull if there are too many or they show up in the wrong place. I tend to be somewhat of a laissez-faire gardener so I rarely object to where Grandpa decides to plunk himself down.

I heartily support your plan for a three-season porch, especially since you're a gardener and with it you can get a jump on the season. Screens make it much more comfortable, especially if you get in the habit of taking meals out there. (My sleeping porch is on the 2nd floor but it's such a pleasant place to sit, I often take my meal upstairs and have it there.) A ceiling fan is also useful for driving mosquitoes away on summer nights. A little pot-bellied stove might add some weeks to your enjoyment of the space.
I saw 1918's post as well, and that also got me thinking about looking into something like that when replacement time rolls around. I also seem to recall seeing a video of someone that bought one for home use and they just left the reservoir for the coins open. They kept the coins in the slots between washes, and after "paying" to use it to start a load, they'd just pick them up after they dropped through and put them back in the slots. :lol:

The main reason I saved the seeds was so I could both plant it in other spots now that I know what I did wrong last year in said other spots, and also to share some. I already have much more seed than came in the original packet, and I'm still not done opening all the pods. :D I tend to work on them when I'm listening to a podcast or the news. That should be done this week if I don't get distracted with other bits.

When I first brought up the idea of a three season porch (as part of the we need a mud area and to move the side door convo), I was actually happily surprised that Sean completely saw the logic of what I was suggesting and pointed out before I had a chance about using it as a better seed starting area. Although he totally understands my desire to move the side door to back so we can have a "proper" mud room as the starting point that led to the idea, he's also worried about what that will mean for the already small kitchen because it will have to be rearranged to fit the doorway.

I've been looking at layouts of older farmhouse style kitchens for a long while, and more recently revisiting them with the idea that we'd be using the three season as the "harvest/process" room/area they tend to feature. There's already a cold water outside spigot on that wall, and it wouldn't be too difficult to put a small work sink in there from that line. We honestly have not used that spigot since we installed our first rain barrel. In fact, last year I forgot to even turn it on in the cellar since we've always shut it off in winter. Sean will probably want to run another hot line as well to more easily do a quick clean up coming home from work in winter specifically, which I wouldn't be adverse to doing.

Of course now that I'm eyeballing that 48"x48" vintage window panel...I'm not quite sure how we'd fit in a small stove without it possibly obstructing the window if that makes sense. We can't put it on the other corner because that's where the door will be. There's still loads of time to worry about layout because we won't have funds for that for a long while, though I admit I'd rather wait to start painting inside rooms to help expediate saving up for the extension. Still, dreaming of the day when it will be a reality helps me deal with our current side door mess.

chocolatepot
Settling in

Post by chocolatepot »

Lily left the valley wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:44 am Thank you! I did get it up on the wall for now, but have yet to clean out all the bottles I've been gathering to have a somewhat matching set of all Wagner bottles. Most of them still have their original labels, but we don't use some of the spice/combos that were popular at one point. I've been debating if I should type up all the label backs and make a post of them here or on my old house blog just in case there's someone who really really wants to period-perfect their own Wagner spice cabinet, but has lost some of the labels along the way.

If you don't mind a smaller open style rack, I still have the one I inherited from my folks. Same bottle style, just not an official Wagner set. Let me know if you're interested, and I can take a picture of it.
I'd love to see it, thanks!

Lily left the valley

chocolatepot wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:51 pm
Lily left the valley wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:44 am Thank you! I did get it up on the wall for now, but have yet to clean out all the bottles I've been gathering to have a somewhat matching set of all Wagner bottles. Most of them still have their original labels, but we don't use some of the spice/combos that were popular at one point. I've been debating if I should type up all the label backs and make a post of them here or on my old house blog just in case there's someone who really really wants to period-perfect their own Wagner spice cabinet, but has lost some of the labels along the way.

If you don't mind a smaller open style rack, I still have the one I inherited from my folks. Same bottle style, just not an official Wagner set. Let me know if you're interested, and I can take a picture of it.
I'd love to see it, thanks!
I will try to get a picture of it this week. Sorry I have not written back sooner than now!