Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Gothichome

Re: Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Post by Gothichome »

Lily left the valley wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 am
Gothichome wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 am Lily, some pretty fancy carpentry happening here.
Part of why I love it so! Also, will give me a good push next winter to get the shop in order. I doubt I'll be able to do more than sketch out some possible plans for it then, but any push to get the shop organized, I'll still take. :D

Right now my brain is already being overtaken by the garden, although we still have bits of snow in the most heavily shaded areas.
Lily, this bench is well beyond my skill set, and I bet beyond many but a few.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothichome wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:06 amLily, this bench is well beyond my skill set, and I bet beyond many but a few.
The hardest part will be the various cubbies, for certain. Sean and I also had a brief discussion already about where it would go, and thus what purpose the cubbies could serve, which will likely also alter the size/plan. Remember that I'm also living in a town full of woodcrafters, so there's good advice available if I get stuck. It won't be a short term project by far (as I have a lot of window restorations that are a higher priority because heating oil ain't cheap!), but given what I've built before (both alone and when I was younger with my father), I believe it will be doable as altered to fit our home and needs. Even just starting to sketch out the basic plan before starting the drafting in earnest will help inspire me towards getting my shop in order. :D
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

That moment when you have completely forgotten what you meant to post about because you got distracted and came back to realize...brain fog.

Two things that I don't think are what I originally intended to post about, though...
1) We recently sold the chiffarobe that didn't fit up the stairs to the neighbor next door that will be moving out this year. She is planning to also buy the matching vanity, which I am glad about because I felt weird about breaking up the set, and honestly...as much as I love vanities, of the few I've had, I really don't use them other than for storage.

2) Sean has the typical Staples style office chair. I realized last night that the shellac is not handling those plastic wheels well. May need to do something about that soonish...?

and then there was more...
3) Ok! I remember now. So, we sold the chifffarobe. Within a day or so, the rads started knocking again. For some reason I thought about the possible weight shift in the purrlor with the chiffarobe gone, so I got the level out and...too level, so we shimmed it. But this is what's weird...I could have sworn I made sure to go through every room when we moved here, and to shim any that needed it to let the cooled water go back down our single pipe. The chiffarobe was in the wrong spot for it to go off level as it was post chiffarobe removal. The furniture we moved to that corner do not weigh hardly anything compared to what was removed. Now it's also true that the purrllor has had a lot off weight come and go in the last few years which also could have caused sag in the other direction, but then why didn't it knock then? Does that mean that the radiator had water in it all this time, and once the chiffarobe went out...then that sitting water was causing the knocking because it was finally able to start going where it should have been? :think: We definitely had more water in the glass when I checked, so I did a quick drain down to line, and that stopped it. We had another a few days later, which made me nervous because the glass showed high water again. Since we had a new hot water coil put in roughly a year ago, if that's leaking already...someone owes me a princely sum in the form of a refund--and a darn good apology.

4) We were thinking about moving the parlor piano in that same corner where the chiffarobe was, but now I'm...concerned about that because it's kinda close in weight to what was there, so...should I be worried about structural issues at this point, or I'm overthinking this?

Still feeling a bit down at how little got done in/on the house last year. Yes, it was a lousy year for everyone, and I guess I should be grateful that we got some mechnicals fixed (though of course I'm now worried one wasn't done right.) Despite the recent snow, it's garden focus time. So the little side projects like unpacking and sorting through all the boxes of paperwork we still have taking up floor space are about all I think will get done in house wise the next few months. Time will tell.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:59 am ...I'm overthinking this?
You? Never! ;-)

Sometimes it can be therapeutic to do something in the garden that results in big, obvious gratification; it can offset the discouraging feeling from all that grunt work.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:59 am ...I'm overthinking this?
You? Never! ;-)

Sometimes it can be therapeutic to do something in the garden that results in big, obvious gratification; it can offset the discouraging feeling from all that grunt work or a phase of neglect.

Lily left the valley

Manalto wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:34 pm
Lily left the valley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:59 am...I'm overthinking this?
You? Never! ;-)

Sometimes it can be therapeutic to do something in the garden that results in big, obvious gratification; it can offset the discouraging feeling from all that grunt work.
Yeah, me and my brain...it never stops whirring along even when I desperately wish it would go to sleep when I want to sleep as well. ;-)

I think one of the reasons I've been so determined to get the front regrade done (aside from the crumbling lower precast concrete stairs) is I do want something I can stand back and look at and say..."I did this!" I had sincerely hoped to have at least built a better storm/screen door by now, but mechanicals and insulation must come first.

I should probably also give a shout out to a neighbor a block down from us that originally inspired the idea to build in a more gradual slope for a winding walkway edged with plantings look. Their house is a bit more set back than ours so they could do a much more gradual slope, but that's what they did on a portion of their front yard. They also have an absolutely lovely garden with all manner of plantings. :thumbup:

At least with the regrade, that's primarily a sweat equity project, so it's kinder to our budget. Having nice neighbors that have tolerated my partially adding to our plant variety through letting volunteers grow to see what we luck into has helped as well. (So grateful we haven't had to deal with the sorts of neighbors we have had in the past--like one older fellow many rentals ago that re-mowed our lawn once because we didn't do it short enough for his liking--wow was that not a fun chat to have about how his trespassing and "help" was not welcome nor wanted. :chores-mowlawn: )

Still, the baby steps in the garden and the less visual but very useful in-house projects have paid off for the most part, even if some in the garden fall in the "lessons learned" category. :whistle:

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:12 am (So grateful we haven't had to deal with the sorts of neighbors we have had in the past--like one older fellow many rentals ago that re-mowed our lawn once because we didn't do it short enough for his liking--wow was that not a fun chat to have about how his trespassing and "help" was not welcome nor wanted. :chores-mowlawn: )
That's incredibly intrusive. I don't envy you that discussion. I'm not sure I wouldn't have blown my top. The stories I've heard about rentals (I have a few to tell myself) and HOAs make one appreciate the relative solitude and independence of being a homeowner, with all its headaches and bumps in the road.

Lily left the valley

A frustration I've had of late is that Sean has taken to making videos about random stuff as a stress relief, and I thought that would eventually wind down a bit, but it's not. On one hand, I know he's doing it for stress relief and it does seem to be helping. On the other hand, it'd sure be nice if he'd make a few less videos and help around the house more. :-( I know he's been crazy from work since the pandemic started, but where Beebe's progress is concerned--I'm also at that point where I feel like we've sat on our hands enough! I did try to broach this with him, and...it's obvious he needs more time doing such at this point. So I'm trying to look around on the rainy days and figure out what I can do so I feel like there is forward momentum and not feel so frustrated. It doesn't help that he keeps hopping between a few rooms to film, and never leaves a room as he found it (he rearranges per video). I've talked with him about how frustrating it is to try to walk/climb around his rearrangements, but nothing has changed.

There's plenty of spring cleaning that needs doing, so that's where I'm starting for now. I'm honestly starting to hate our stairs. Even though the kitties don't go upstairs as much as they used to, and even though I try to sweep/dust the stairs weekly, some of what collects on the stairs makes its way between the balusters and falls down to the dresser we've been using in the dining room to store things that don't fit in the kitchen. That, of course, has all sorts of bits like a lamp, pictures, knick knacks and the basket where we store the weekly store flyers & coupons, so more cleaning each week there. There was a time when I thought (pre pandemic) that I'd have taken that stained glass class by now. I was planning to make panels to fit in between the balusters to help prevent the falling dust/furballs. That's gone nowhere. Maybe next year since things will be more opened up, I'll finally be able to take the class and make that project a reality. :eusa-think:

I did get him to admit he hates the kitchen table & chairs one neighbor gave us for free that we'd been using in the dining room since our kitchen doesn't have room for a table. So I need to take some pictures of it and give it away. We still have the other set of dining chairs (that are much more comfortable), and we have a few tables we could choose from for the short term until we find something better. Ever since we sold the chiffarobe, I've been itching to get rid of some free things we'd gotten our hands on prior that we've since found better. I might just see if the local ReStore is doing pickups yet and have it all out at once. If we do manage to get rid of that table/chairs, that will free up some wall space to move the dresser to so it will be a lot easier to only have to clean the floor of whatever falls through the balusters. ;-)

Clutter has always been an issue for me, and I'm hoping that if I can clear out some space, in a way it will help me be able to focus better on which directions we need to be heading inside the house. (And who wants to paint with a room stuffed full of furniture anyhoo? :D ) I really, truly want to get one room painted this fall. I'm so tired of blah beige. Especially since it's peeling and chipping all over. :angry-banghead: Because of all the clutter, there's been no real space for me to do some of the upholstery work and such I've been wanting to do for a while. I've got six projects that went nowhere this winter, mostly because I could never make a space big enough to do the work indoors.

We did pick up a small chest that was curbside yesterday when we were out doing the nursery run, primarily because it's a good height to put under one of the bigger windows that doesn't have a radiator in front of it so the cats can share the window without pushing each other off the sill. It's nothing special, just the right height and storage that is needed in that room. (Spare bedroom.) It even came with the key for the lock! I'm always happy when we can empty another box.

I have been doing my darndest to hold back on ripping up the rest of the cheap vinyl fake wood planks in the dining/hallway because we won't know until I do if the damage to the red -oleum in at least the dining room is as bad as it is in the kitchen. I'm not so worried about the hallway because there's no radiator in there.

Same for the weird masonite wall panels they did a poor job liquid nailing the shoddily cut pieces to the downstairs bathroom over the original mame pink walls below the rail. (I admit, I am not a pink fan, but hate the fake maso more.) I already know that's not going to be a small project either just from the removal of the liquid nail that won't give easily, let alone how much plaster might get damaged from the removal.

I'm still thinking we might be able to make a laundry chute down the boxed in area that filled the rest of that wall behind the one short end of the tub. It would sure be nice to have, and I could easily build out the upper box in the upstairs bath since they're right on top of each other and there's room for it up there too. The only problem with that corner is in the cellar, that's where the sump is. I've given some thought where the sump could be moved (it's literally a hole in the ground they put a section of now very rusted liner in, with a smaller plastic bucket with the pump itself inside.)

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:27 am

I'm still thinking we might be able to make a laundry chute down the boxed in area that filled the rest of that wall behind the one short end of the tub. It would sure be nice to have, and I could easily build out the upper box in the upstairs bath since they're right on top of each other and there's room for it up there too. The only problem with that corner is in the cellar, that's where the sump is. I've given some thought where the sump could be moved (it's literally a hole in the ground they put a section of now very rusted liner in, with a smaller plastic bucket with the pump itself inside.)
If I'm understanding your description correctly, It sounds like you could put a angled ramp of sorts over the sump to direct the laundry away; a child's slide might do the trick.

I hear you about ugly panelling. I had plenty - it's an assault to the senses. The last remaining bit of it covers the walls in the little office off the living room. It's gray (I strongly suspect it was marketed as "Driftwood") and flimsy and it's nailed directly to the studs with no insulation behind. That room becomes an icebox in January. That will be the next (and, mercifully, the last) to go.

Lily left the valley

Manalto wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 am
Lily left the valley wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:27 amI'm still thinking we might be able to make a laundry chute down the boxed in area that filled the rest of that wall behind the one short end of the tub. It would sure be nice to have, and I could easily build out the upper box in the upstairs bath since they're right on top of each other and there's room for it up there too. The only problem with that corner is in the cellar, that's where the sump is. I've given some thought where the sump could be moved (it's literally a hole in the ground they put a section of now very rusted liner in, with a smaller plastic bucket with the pump itself inside.)
If I'm understanding your description correctly, It sounds like you could put a angled ramp of sorts over the sump to direct the laundry away; a child's slide might do the trick.

I hear you about ugly panelling. I had plenty - it's an assault to the senses. The last remaining bit of it covers the walls in the little office off the living room. It's gray (I strongly suspect it was marketed as "Driftwood") and flimsy and it's nailed directly to the studs with no insulation behind. That room becomes an icebox in January. That will be the next (and, mercifully, the last) to go.
What you're suggesting is definitely doable. I was thinking something similar to what you suggested if moving it would prove to be too much work. The image of the sump below is the corner in question (cellar egress to outdoors to the right with that lovely Frankendoor draped in a neoprene cloak.)

While looking for images for this thread, I found this little curio I once pined over on Craig's List, but didn't have the money for at the time (thinking I'd put it over the sump pit). Yes, I can build something similar, but the price was reasonable at the time (cheaper than buying the wood for same), but we simply didn't have the funds before it disappeared from CL.

The maso paneling from image taken way back when (more blah no color plus screws and no sealing at edges):

I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get the maso/liquid nail off without too much damage to the plaster. I had mentioned before in another post that the plaster below the rail is scored to look like tile. Apparently this was a "poor man" method for folks that couldn't afford tile, but wanted the look. What I'd likely do if it doesn't get too damaged is finally follow my dream in there and paint the "tile" similar to this image:

(And I'm glad I went looking to see if I had uploaded an image of our sump, because while looking, I realized I took a picture of the mentioned table/chairs Sean hates. :lol: You can see the other dining chairs we have that I had picked up for a song from my fav 2nd hand shop, now closed.)