Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Post by Lily left the valley »

We have zero regrets about getting vaccinated, but given what side effects we've had so far, we're both a bit leery about how bad the second round will be. :shock: Honestly, it hasn't been too awful, but there is definitely a difference between the Moderna and the Pfizer. It's knocked us both for a loop, and fortunately, Sean did manage to have an extra day off this week, so he at least got a chance to sleep in and get some more rest. My "covid arm" (rash and muscle lump at the injection site) is almost entirely gone, and let's just say my female cycle harkened back to the bad old days when I was fairly useless for a few days between the additional pain and nausea. (So much pepto bismol this week. :lol: )

The next big news in short is that Sean is transferring to a new, closer, Post Office sometime soonish, and will also be going FT sometime before the end of summer. :dance:

The long I-wish-I-was-making-this-up version you can feel free to skip if you don't care about the deails: So two weeks ago, Sean heard that his current OIC (office in charge) that's been filling in for the Post Master that only did a whopping week of duty before being shuttled off to fill in elsewhere is being sent to yet another PO where the post master there is under investigation. (He was a supervisor/clerk at this other PO before, so he was a logical choice to put there over other candidates.) So a new OIC came in to start the transition at Sean's current PO last week. Once again, as other newly bumped up people have done before, this new OIC thinks the best way to make a name for himself is to show how by the book of a leader he is and tell everyone they're doing everything wrong (even when they aren't). This was even after a regular carrier had already contacted the union after the first day of the transition, and the union was so aggravated at what the new OIC was up to that they assigned him a "transitional aid" to explain how some things need to be according to contract and what powers he absolutely does not have as an OIC. This, of course, made the new OIC double down on the non regulars (including the clerks) to the point that Sean contacted the union yet again because of how fast things were escalating within DAYS--several verbal warnings over absolute garbage, but threatening physical write ups which can quickly lead to dismissal charges. Sean went through this before as I wrote about back then, so it was essentially a flashback he did not need.

To give one prime example of the nonsense, the new OIC told Sean that he could not get his second shot when scheduled because the date was too inconvenient (happens to be the Friday of Memorial Day weekend when many regulars take off for the long weekend--which Sean had zero control over the second shot date--Walgreens assigned it per CDC guidelines). Once Sean explained that even Walgreens said he can't reschedule a second dose, the OIC became enraged, even going to the Walgreens site to show there were plenty of (first shot) appointments still available at other Walgreens, and so insisted it was possible and told Sean he had to at least change it to later in the day so he could still work that day and was absolutely not allowed to take off the day after even if he felt ill. (FWIW, Walgreens said it was the employers responsibility to work around them because it's neigh impossible to reschedule already set appointments, and the second dose HAS to be done within a certain time frame for best efficacy.) So, after Sean contacted the union, the regional union president himself made a phone call to explain that, no, Sean does not have to change it, nor does Walgreens have to reschedule it, and Sean does in fact have to be paid for the day, which the OIC is still trying to get out of doing. Same OIC already didn't pay Sean for the first shot as he was in charge of the latest pay period which started right when Sean got his first shot, so Sean had to file a grievance for that as well. :problem:

Thankfully, after a few phone calls and some paperwork started, Sean is transferring to a different Post Office some time within the next 26 days that is a wee bit closer than where he's been working the last year and change. It all depends on how long the new OIC tries to drag this out. Sean could, theoretically, be transferred as early as a week from Saturday because that's the start of a new pay period. But if the OIC who initially claimed he wouldn't hold up the transfer changes his mind and decides to claim that Sean is "essential", it could try to force the full 30 day transfer window (Sean started the paperwork already once he saw the writing on the wall with this new guy, so the clock has already been ticking down on that.) The good news is technically, because of Covid and the fact that the place where he is transferring has three carriers in the process of retiring as soon as replacements can be found (one of which currently is out with Covid and might not be returning)--the new OIC may not be able to play the essential card because the other PO has a greater need. This would free Sean up to Get Out of Dodge sooner, as it were. Because the new OIC has been pulling shenanigans (like deliberately not scheduling Sean at his own PO for no good reason at all, and instead has been sending him to cover at the farthest possible post offices because everyone is short handed still), Sean's hours in the last week have been insane, mostly due to the driving he's had to do--this is a common tactic to try to get a sub to "refuse" work, which can also be used as an excuse to do a write up. :roll: At least today he only has to go a few towns over (the worst drive of late was 2 1/2 hours each way). Next week, one of the regulars is off so Sean was already going to be covering for the week, so at least then he won't be driving too much.

Now here's where the short and long version matters related to a post I made here before...
The best news is regardless of how long this takes, Sean will FINALLY go full time before the end of this summer, depending on how long it takes the paperwork to get settled from his transfer, and then paperwork to go from sub to FT. :dance: Also, the PM at where he's transferring is one he really likes (it was one of the PO's he almost transferred to before during the Gardner mess a few years ago when that new PM came in.) This will mean a huge pay and benefit bump that he has been waiting on for YEARS.

Our next door neighbors that were supposed to be moving out this summer somehow ended up with a very ill sister staying with them, and it appears they got an extension on the move out because of same. (Sister is in wheelchair/hospital bed most of the time--I have not asked what with, they have not volunteered, so I don't know.) So since they're not moving out as was planned, it seems we may have more wiggle room as to whether or not we might have a chance to buy the house next door. (Yes, Sean's salary will take that big of a leap--and by then the covid housing boom should have cooled a bit.) We're not assuming this will work out in our favor, but it did put the purchase back on the table of possibilities.

Never a dull moment, I tell ya. ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

Aaannd, because brain fog...forgot to say...because the weather has been warm enough for us to hang out on the porch swing again, I've not been able to ignore a maintenance need that's elevating quickly from "in a year or two" to "soon".

Once Sean gets settled into the new post office and gets his upgrade to FT, the plan is to finish paying down the debt we've been whittling at we could. Then we can finally start on the larger projects we've been putting off. I mention this because of the porch.

I have not yet pointed out to Sean that the paint on the front porch woodwork really should get repainted within the next year or so since some spots have now flaked down to bare wood. It's mostly the top of the rail that's in the most dire need, for obvious reasons. (And he's not the type to mention anything needs to be fixed unless it's dire because...we've had bits like the hot water coil and plumbing replacements that weren't exactly planned so soon.) I don't yet want to start that conversation because I know it will dovetail into whether we should start using the newer paint colors we'd been planning on before going through the process for that loan/grant to get the asbestos siding removed or not. The house color as it stands now technically should be alright to keep a few more years even if we did change out the white on the porch to what it will be to match when the house turns a deeper warm yellow. It's not like the porch trim would be a horrid match for the nearer term, but I don't really know how painting in stages (due to siding change or whatever) tends to happen. I mean, yes...when possible, start at the top and work down on the house itself. The porch, though...the added siding covers (what I hope is still there) window trim wise, so it won't be like there'll be a mismatch there short term. And we still have that horrid modern front storm door which never really matched anything other than the fact that it is white. :eusa-think:

The only other thing with the front porch I'm concerned about is the slope. At some point, they did work on the porch (when they added the current horrible stairs/railing), and it seems a new post was put under the NE corner, only they didn't do it right. It's already a bit off the ground from the slope deteriorating, as they didn't sink it into the actual ground. They (I'm not joking) propped up the new post on top of a rock which has since been displaced by the same slope deterioration. I'm fairly certain it's why they planted the lilac shrub there---to try to slow down the degradation, which didn't work because they removed the downspout which just happens to dump right in that corner (hence why we put the first rain barrel there.)

We haven't noticed any shift yet, but then again...I'm still thinking about that weirdness with the radiator in the parlor (the room closest to said corner of the porch). I am not a structural engineer, so this is totally out of my wheelhouse. I just know whomever did the new under the porch post was an idiot. :-|
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

Ran into our neighbor to the west today. She told me her landlord gave her a hard deadline of being out July 1st. I know he's tried to be gracious because of the sibling she's been caring for, but it's evident he's annoyed/worried he's missing the pandemic housing market boom with the sale. We haven't gotten the latest monthly market update on our home from Redfin or Zillow yet, so I'm not sure if it's started cooling off here or not. Houses similar in type/age with less amenities than ours have been going for nearer than not to $300K. :shock:

If he's determined to get them out by then, there's little chance we'll have of getting next door unless the market does a weird dive and it ends up sitting on the market for a while. Not the end of the world if we don't get it, but it'll be interesting waiting to see who does buy it.

We're both home today, feeling like death warmed over from our second Moderna shots. Slept a crazy amount of hours yesterday and last night into this afternoon. Hoping we'll shake this off with a day or so, time will tell on that.

He'll be starting at his new PO next Saturday. Then we get to see if the promise made is kept. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Our boiler has been taking in extra water of late. Apparently it wasn't just the radiator in the purrlor that had the tilt a bit off. They're sending out a tech on Tuesday to make sure it's not the barely a year old new hot water coil that's leaking. My suspicion is the cold water intake cutoff into the main boiler chamber may just need replacing even though it looks ok on the outside, but I sadly won't be surprised if it's the hot water coil.

Lily left the valley

Aaannnd Sean was lied to again about how soon he'll be going FT. :evil: He is understandably unhappy, and honestly...his spirit is a bit crushed. I have been feeling helpless because I have run out of ways to try to cheer him up and none of them are working well if at all. He keeps threatening to look for other work, but I know he's at the point of paranoia about trusting anyone, so he's torn between the devil he knows and the one he may yet face. :-(

Massachusetts is one of the states doing a vaccine lottery, and we both signed up for it. However, I know the odds and am not even pretending in my heart we might win, though sometimes he will start talking about what he would like to do should we win. When he does this, I try to play along because it's the only time he doesn't seem dispirited lately.

I have been starting to help a few nonprofits in the area make their websites, and they have stated intent to hire me on for the long haul as a web admin. I'll be drawing up a contract this month for at least one of them in the hope of seeing some pay start trickling in--which I am hating the fact I am so desperate for it. Yet because we've discussed how me finding any somewhat steady part time work will help him stop worrying about his paychecks so much, I am wishing very hard that any of this comes through. I love doing the work, and it's something I can do even with the health difficulties I have. So I'm hopeful, but also girding myself that once the sites are done, that may be it for now. If nothing else, it's more recent examples and references which I need, so I am grateful for that!

I mention all this because now any plans we had of buying next door or even starting on some of the projects we've been very much wanting to do with Beebe are on indefinite hold. Until we can be assured of a higher combined income, we simply do not have the funds and instead are continuing to work on paying down debt and putting what little we can aside for an emergency fund. :doh: