Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Beebe -- our 1935 Bungalow on Baker Street.

Post by awomanwithahammer »

No, I didn't think to post a picture. I'll try to get one soon. It's really pretty, although a little too ornate for my personal taste. I'm planning to use it in the master bath of my renovation house.

Tell Sean thanks, and I'll give that a try. Acetone or non-acetone nail polish remover?
Bonnie

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

awomanwithahammer wrote:No, I didn't think to post a picture. I'll try to get one soon. It's really pretty, although a little too ornate for my personal taste. I'm planning to use it in the master bath of my renovation house.

Tell Sean thanks, and I'll give that a try. Acetone or non-acetone nail polish remover?
Acetone. Did you try mineral spirits first?
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

awomanwithahammer

Haven't tried anything yet. It's at the other house. It'll have to wait till we get back from vacation next week.
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

awomanwithahammer wrote:Haven't tried anything yet. It's at the other house. It'll have to wait till we get back from vacation next week.
Okies.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

awomanwithahammer

That sounded a little curt. What I meant to say was that I'm not going to get a chance to get back over there to work until we get back from vacation next Friday. And my brother and a couple of his friends are coming up for the weekend. So it will really be about a week and a half until I get to work again. But thanks for the advice, and I can't wait to try it. I hope I haven't already damaged the frame trying different things.
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

awomanwithahammer wrote:That sounded a little curt. What I meant to say was that I'm not going to get a chance to get back over there to work until we get back from vacation next Friday. And my brother and a couple of his friends are coming up for the weekend. So it will really be about a week and a half until I get to work again. But thanks for the advice, and I can't wait to try it. I hope I haven't already damaged the frame trying different things.
:lol: You're on vacation! I didn't read it that way at all. I just sent what I thought would let you know I read your latest post. I appreciate the followup. I'm swamped this month myself. Every year I co-ordinate a series of events in LOTRO through August for the sheer insanity of it (our 9th "anniversary" of such months this year). Maker Space meeting later in the month, Conservation Committee, trying to find work, waiting on the few clients to get back to me that I do have, the usual truck full of unfinished projects in and out of the house, oh and the Monarchs. And my wedding anniversary on the 25th. Trust me...when time allows is a phrase I use from experience. :D

Don't worry, go vacation while ya still can. :happy-partydance:

Lily left the valley

Even though we didn't get half of the things on our list done today, overall it was a very productive day.

I just went down to check on if the sheets were dry, and we've got a bat in the cellar again. :hand: I swear it's the same one every time. I can't figure out for the life of me how it gets in there, but I guess I should be grateful it's just one.

There was something else I was going to write about after I checked the sheets, and now I've forgotten. The thought went right out of my mind when the bat swooped past my head as I was heading back to the stairs.

Never a dull moment around here. :lol:

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Lily left the valley wrote:I just went down to check on if the sheets were dry, and we've got a bat in the cellar again. :hand: I swear it's the same one every time. I can't figure out for the life of me how it gets in there, but I guess I should be grateful it's just one.

We have a longstanding relationship with a nationally renowned local nature center (our kids went to the preschool and She Who Must Be Obeyed was on the board for many years). One of the naturalists told us that you can capture the bat, drive it across town, and release it. But if it thinks that your house is its home, it will be home before you are...

Lily left the valley

mjt wrote:We have a longstanding relationship with a nationally renowned local nature center (our kids went to the preschool and She Who Must Be Obeyed was on the board for many years). One of the naturalists told us that you can capture the bat, drive it across town, and release it. But if it thinks that your house is its home, it will be home before you are...
Thanks for this info. I believe it about the returning home aspect, and have read similar writings on other sites too. I have not checked the attic of late to make sure we don't have new residents up there. There were no signs of such last year, and the main reason I wanted to check is the few sites I've seen that talk about bats in the cellar said if they are in the cellar, it's because all the other spots have been taken. We've narrowed down to two possible entry areas, though one would require someone more qualified to check (possible missing flashing around the chimney or worse possible missing brick from same that has made an entry.) I'm leaning more towards there is a hole we haven't found yet either in the exterior cellar stairs enclosure or where there is some missing AC siding near the roofline for same (where we've suspected minor moisture intrusion--it's on the ToDo list.)

I think it's still rearing season for them, so we can't disturb them anyhoo if I'm right about the season. We have been wanting to put up bat boxes, but that's not been in the budget yet. We're hoping when we do that they'll be less need for them to wander indoors.

If it's still in the cellar early eve today, I'll do my usual door opening to the exterior at dusk and wait for it to fly out. Last night I was just not in the mood to sit in the dark and wait. :D

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Lily! I'll bet you could build some bat boxes! I've seen plan online and it seems easy enough.