Madison, AL - 1911 Home

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Mick_VT

Re: Madison, AL - 1911 Home

Post by Mick_VT »

Greygon wrote: This would yield us two fireplaces because the main and second floor share chimney.

Two fireplaces on to one flue means neither can be used, unless you block one off and install a liner. This setup is no longer up to code (because it is quite dangerous) and most insurance companies will insist that you do not use it this way. You sweep should tell you the same.
Mick...

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Mick_VT wrote:
Greygon wrote: This would yield us two fireplaces because the main and second floor share chimney.

Two fireplaces on to one flue means neither can be used, unless you block one off and install a liner. This setup is no longer up to code (because it is quite dangerous) and most insurance companies will insist that you do not use it this way. You sweep should tell you the same.

They may be on separate flues inside the same chimney. The OP probably won't know until a sweep inspects them, unless he has a drone he can fly up and get some pictures with.

Greygon
Settling in

Post by Greygon »

That is some very good information that I was not aware of. It makes a lot of sense as the entire bottom was carpeted over the wood while the entire upstairs is painted. There is also a lot of repair needed upstairs in some spots. Appreciate the info -- one thing, a lot of the wooden floors in our immediate area seem to be heart pine vs oak, at least that is how it seems.

1918ColonialRevival wrote:This is a very nice "transitional" house, as it has both late Victorian and Colonial Revival elements. You are fortunate to have so many original features still intact.

Regarding the woodwork and floors - as Gothichome said, it wasn't uncommon in the early 20th Century to have painted pine floors in private areas of the house like bedrooms and finished oak floors downstairs.

Strip a small section of the woodwork to see what it originally looked like. Although finished wood was more common in Victorian houses, by about 1900, a lot of woodwork was painted from day one. This is especially true once the Colonial influence began to emerge, as the Georgian and Federal era houses they were modeled after often had painted woodwork. When you strip, if the wood underneath is pine, it was painted. If you find a gummy shellac residue on the bottom layer, it was finished. If it was finished, it would most likely be a more decorative wood of the era like oak.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Greygon wrote:That is some very good information that I was not aware of. It makes a lot of sense as the entire bottom was carpeted over the wood while the entire upstairs is painted. There is also a lot of repair needed upstairs in some spots. Appreciate the info -- one thing, a lot of the wooden floors in our immediate area seem to be heart pine vs oak, at least that is how it seems.

The wood species is likely a function of your geographic area. Although white and yellow pine flooring was used across the country during this era, it was especially popular in the Southeast, as that's where much of it was milled. My house has oak on the main level, yellow pine on the second floor, and the third floor is a mix of the leftover oak and pine boards from the other two levels that was painted. Although I'm in the Mid-Atlantic, a lot of construction trends here were similar to those further South. Even though yours are all pine, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the floors on the main level are a better grade of wood than that which was painted upstairs.

Greygon
Settling in

Post by Greygon »

That really matches with what we are finding. On the main floor we have tongue/groove while upstairs appears to be just plank (with some larger gaps existing now). This info is putting all of our findings in perspective! Thanks

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
Greygon wrote:That is some very good information that I was not aware of. It makes a lot of sense as the entire bottom was carpeted over the wood while the entire upstairs is painted. There is also a lot of repair needed upstairs in some spots. Appreciate the info -- one thing, a lot of the wooden floors in our immediate area seem to be heart pine vs oak, at least that is how it seems.

The wood species is likely a function of your geographic area. Although white and yellow pine flooring was used across the country during this era, it was especially popular in the Southeast, as that's where much of it was milled. My house has oak on the main level, yellow pine on the second floor, and the third floor is a mix of the leftover oak and pine boards from the other two levels that was painted. Although I'm in the Mid-Atlantic, a lot of construction trends here were similar to those further South. Even though yours are all pine, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the floors on the main level are a better grade of wood than that which was painted upstairs.

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Just wanted to say hi and that you have a beautiful home!!
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon