Hello from House_BuhBooLis

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
House_BuhBooLis
Settling in

Hello from House_BuhBooLis

Post by House_BuhBooLis »

Hello all

I'm so glad I found this forum. We bought our home (our first home, colonial revival of some kind??) a year ago and have steadily been chipping away at projects, doing our best to make it feel like an old home even though I know so much has been done to it over the years that made it feel "new"! Some "helpful" others, less so. One interesting fact, it was moved to it's current location in 1980, putting the old house on top of a new basement, which added to the living/storage space in a 1500sqft house, which we certainly appreciate. The age of the house is a little under debate, the old owner (a professor of architecture) says is was built in 1914, but the county records say 1940, but I've seen these be wrong before...I want to get to library some day to look up the sanborn insurance maps...

It still has some old features, like two arched openings, fancy hinges, a few 4-over-1 windows and original doors and floors and I like trying to design with them in mind.

And I run into plenty of questions along the way and think this forum will the a wealth of knowledge. My first question would be, is a "just" a colonial revival does the architecture have a more specific name?

Thanks!

Photo album: https://goo.gl/photos/V1XnhqvamWH9qzxb9

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Hello from House_BuhBooLis

Post by Willa »

Welcome to the forum. Your house looks more 1914 to me than 1940. I see some craftsman type details, but the much earlier Eastlake hinges are an anomaly in that context. They're fancy though - don't get rid of them !

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Welcome!1914 or 1940, she's lovely!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey House_BuhBooLis, welcome to the District! :wave: :wave: :thumbup:
Mick...

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Welcome to the District! What a great house you have!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

:wave: Let me add my welcome as well.

Your long 4 over 1 windows are beautiful.

Very nice home overall.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Couldn't see the photos, but welcome in!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I can not see your pics either. But as Neighmond says. Welcome to the district.

House_BuhBooLis
Settling in

Post by House_BuhBooLis »

Trying to figure out how to post pictures directly from Google photos...I don't know why the album is working for some and not others. Just to learn, I'm going to try to post them another way here. *seems to have worked, but was a two step process, as google photos does not give you a link embed photos? Annoying.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well that's better, I can see pictures. Looks very nice. As Lily observed, those long four over windows are certainly unique. I think you may have the only home with them here in the district. Your eastlake hinges, I think are not the original hinges they would be out of period for your home. As far a age, I think closer to 1914 than 1940 and your front room may have been a porch when new. Maybe a 1940 date was the last major refit to the home, and that's were the discrepancy is.