Hello from House_BuhBooLis

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
House_BuhBooLis
Settling in

Re: Hello from House_BuhBooLis

Post by House_BuhBooLis »

Gothichome wrote:Well that's better, I can see pictures. Looks very nice. As Lily observed, those long four over windows are certainly unique. I think you may have the only home with them here in the district. Your eastlake hinges, I think are not the original hinges they would be out of period for your home. As far a age, I think closer to 1914 than 1940 and your front room may have been a porch when new. Maybe a 1940 date was the last major refit to the home, and that's were the discrepancy is.

I am adding the picture of the porch. It is still a porch! Just an enclosed one. But I also wondered if it was added later, as the brick on the front of the house and the brick on the porch part are different...but the brick on the porch are the same as at the back of the house, there is also a doorbell on both the outside and interior door, but the doors are almost identical in style.

If it is "newer" I still like it, don't know if the columns came when it was new or are original, but I love those, and the enclosed porch probably saved those lovely windows from replacement! So go porch, go!

About half the house is this orange and purple brick combo. The front porch and sides are just red.

So many mysteries!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Hummmmm, don't know what to make of your brick discrepancy. Maybe when the home was being built they decided to gussy up the front of the home with the two colour brick pattern. With the poarch open to the street it added a bit of flash.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

It wasn't uncommon to use a fancier brick on the façade of a house or building. Sometimes a different pattern was used on the façade as well, such as the Flemish bond with your brick. I agree that the porch was likely open when the house was built and enclosed later on.

As for style and construction date, it's a bungalow with some Colonial Revival elements. I would date it somewhere between about 1910 and 1925. Definitely not 1940. As someone said, it may have undergone a renovation in 1940 and the taxes reassessed. You said the house was moved in the 1980s. Do you know the original location? That could really help you narrow down a date when looking at older maps. The decorative Eastlake-looking hinge is interesting in that it doesn't really go with the house style-wise. Hinges like this were still being produced in the 1910s, but the styling was well on its way out by then.

House_BuhBooLis
Settling in

1918ColonialRevival wrote:It wasn't uncommon to use a fancier brick on the façade of a house or building. Sometimes a different pattern was used on the façade as well, such as the Flemish bond with your brick. I agree that the porch was likely open when the house was built and enclosed later on.

As for style and construction date, it's a bungalow with some Colonial Revival elements. I would date it somewhere between about 1910 and 1925. Definitely not 1940. As someone said, it may have undergone a renovation in 1940 and the taxes reassessed. You said the house was moved in the 1980s. Do you know the original location? That could really help you narrow down a date when looking at older maps. The decorative Eastlake-looking hinge is interesting in that it doesn't really go with the house style-wise. Hinges like this were still being produced in the 1910s, but the styling was well on its way out by then.

Interesting! Yes, I do know where it was moved from (less than a mile away), so yes I need to go look at those maps! And I want to go ask around at City Hall too, but their hours are so bad (only open when I'm at work).

The previous owner was a professor of historic architecture and fancier of antiques, so I would not be surprised if he added the hinges. I wish I would have asked him some more questions, but I didn't have as many questions at the time!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

That would interesting to find out. Also would be interesting to discover why they moved the home. Maybe, it's original lot is now a parking lot, Or a lost Indian grave yard and it had spirits. (or lost thier cat in the ducting and thought they had spirits re: Phill's ghost cat story)

House_BuhBooLis
Settling in

Gothichome wrote:That would interesting to find out. Also would be interesting to discover why they moved the home. Maybe, it's original lot is now a parking lot, Or a lost Indian grave yard and it had spirits. (or lost thier cat in the ducting and thought they had spirits re: Phill's ghost cat story)

The local firehouse bought the property where it use to stand. I don't know all the details, but the fire department bought the property for very cheap and then paid to have the house moved. I think the owner at the time was trying to sell, and when they knew it would get demolished if the firehouse bought, decided to move it because it was old/historic. The site is just the "lawn" of the firehouse, not even the building or the parking lot. I can see the house on historical imagery available online back to 1937. I have emailed the firehouse and asked if anyone had an more info (I've heard the move was in the newspaper, which I would love to have a copy of!), got a few tid bits, but not much. My dad has a metal detector and I think we should take it over there some time.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

That is a lovely bungalow you have there!

I would say the columns are original-or, at least, it had columns originally. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been able to move them intact when the house was moved, so the only way to know for sure would be old photos. They might have disassembled some things and put it back together after the move. Moving houses isn't all that common up here so I'm not terribly familiar with the process (it used to be much more common, now it seems that if a house is in the way, it's demo'd).

I just missed a house that was built in the 30's. It had art decor door knob plates (skyscraper style) with very craftsman like built ins, and the outside was neither craftsman nor art deco. I think it's possible someone just liked certain elements of a particular style and used them, whether the whole house matched that style or not. Or perhaps, someone had demolished a property elsewhere and used elements from it, or had some left from another build. I have painted dutchlap as backer for the brick veneer and beadboard as roof sheathing in some places, that must have been reclaimed or were left from another build.

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Very nice home!!!
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Very nice home!!!
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:{snip}The decorative Eastlake-looking hinge is interesting in that it doesn't really go with the house style-wise. Hinges like this were still being produced in the 1910s, but the styling was well on its way out by then.

I suddenly had an image in my head of the following conversation:

"Say, honey, what do you think of these hinges?"

"Those old things? They may be fancy, but they're so outdated now."

"But they're on sale! Five for a nickle!"
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.