1852 balloon frame itallianate newbie rehab

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
earthdad
Just Arrived

1852 balloon frame itallianate newbie rehab

Post by earthdad »

Well, I'm glad I found this site. This was supposed to be my first flip. After basking in the historical ambience of this home I stopped thinking about making a profit. In fact, I kind of just stopped dead in my tracks. What to do? Restore windows? Tear off vinyl siding? Re plaster what was demoed by PO? Replace 8x8 30ft long wooden beam that was hacked into in three places rendering it to the likes of a 2x4?
I hope to restore as much as possible to keep the legacy of this home alive.
Attachments
IMG_3208.JPG
IMG_3208.JPG (919.46 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
IMG_3197.JPG
IMG_3197.JPG (732.15 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
IMG_3169.JPG
IMG_3169.JPG (824.15 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
IMG_3142.PNG
IMG_3142.PNG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 1132 times
IMG_3141.PNG
IMG_3141.PNG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1132 times
IMG_3034.PNG
IMG_3034.PNG (670.01 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
IMG_2917.JPG
IMG_2917.JPG (886.96 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: 1852 balloon frame itallianate newbie rehab

Post by Lily left the valley »

:wave: Welcome!

It seems you've nabbed quite a charmer there. No wonder you took the step back to admire, then got swept off your feet. ;-)

My :twocents-twocents: , start with the bones and work out. If there are any exterior bits that need immediate attention because of damage that can occur, give them the nod they need, but leave the cosmetics like removing vinyl siding for later.

You'll find that District folk have various particulars and leanings as to what is restoration to them. So some answers may surprise you. You may find yourself falling into the research hole as you go, as I have. Fortunately for me, I'm kinda happy there, though some folks don't take a shine to it. I've found that everyone finds a happy place or compromise spots they decide on in time, as I've read many posts about the decision making and processes for various folks.

I will note, since you mentioned restoring plaster, I just read recently on another thread that a new plaster takes a long time to cure. Longer than most folks are willing, as you'll read here and there as some folk opt to drywall. I'm a plaster lover, even if I have to wait that out, but I'm lucky in that the bungalow we'll be closing on next month already has it all over. Since yours has been removed, at least you don't have to worry about lead in the plaster.

As to the question about restoring windows? I already know that'll be an impending chorus of "YES!"--and not just because they're old and wood. If you don't already know about why wood can be better, just ask. You'll get overloaded with great info in no time.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey earthdad, welcome to the District :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:
Mick...

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Welcome on board.... and where the house goes, classy girls with charm know how to turn men on with solid frames, fancy trim and overall awesomeness.

Restore the wood windows.. the evil house flipper took our house's perfectly good windows
and trashed them. At 6 years old the vinyl ones are already failing (so how's that GREEN movement working out for ya at the landfill???)
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome Earthdad, now that you have seen the light and decided not to flip, you'll be much better off. Don't know what your living in now but I dought it has the charm or the potential of this home.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Wow. This house is a beauty.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Welcome to the neighborhood earthdad :wave:

I just love Italiantes. There is something I find romantic about this style. Our town has one a couple of blocks from my house - my heart flutters every time I drive by.

You found a real beauty. I doubt you will ever regret your choice to restore her rather than flip. For those days when you get stumped, frustrated or overwhelmed - you've come to the right place. Lots of knowledge and encouragement to be had here just for the asking.

Keep us updated on your progress. And again, welcome to the group.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

I would just like to add a hello and say what an interesting looking house, I hope you decide to stick with it.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

Greetings!

So, I have to ask, have you decided to keep it rather than flip it? If so, then take your time and restore as you would like.

If you still intend to resell-
Flipping old houses is...stressful...to say the very least, if you intend to make money especially if you have a tight market and have to meet certain buyer expectations. Ask me how I know lol (The Bungalow Project is my new flip, and I HAVE to make money or at least break even). Are historic, restored homes desirable where you are (if so I am jealous)? Do you NEED to make money, or are you going to be ok if you lose money? Have you researched your market and know your comps?

Ah, HVAC guys. Plumbers are equally bad at hack jobs. *shakes head*

Plaster isn't an easy task, and as Lily mentioned, apparently takes quite a while (in flip time) to do properly and allow it to cure before painting. It looks like only some is gone, if you are flipping and have a time line, drywall is an option-several folks here have gone that route for various reasons and sometimes it's just what needs to be done. With it all down, consider rewiring.

If you are able, restore the windows. I had to make the very unpopular (both here and with myself) decision to replace them in The Bungalow Project (ducks to avoid flying objects) because they are in bad condition and I don't have the time or ability to restore them.

Siding...are you ready for what you find under it? My Old House (now sold) had faux brick covering claps. So I happily removed it thinking I would restore and repaint the clapboards-only to find window sizes had changed and there were gaps, and about 1000 holes had been drilled for blow in. Not good. If the vinyl is in good condition, and you are flipping it, consider leaving it-although in at least the one photo looks like wood that could use a painting. Vinyl can be painted if the color is a problem, and there are some really nice colors available. At least they left some of the detailing when they did it. If the buyer is a historic house nut (and if you're like me you hope they are), they can always take that project on at a later date-if you've made sure the important stuff like roof, electric, hvac and plumbing and the like are solid and won't need attention.

Step back and review what you have, what it needs for resale (how is the roof? Plumbing? electric?) and what you want to do. Then review your budget and allow for all sorts of hidden things. I'd say if possible, do the must haves first and reserve the wants for the end if you have space left in the budget. My goal is to wind up with a house people will fall in love with and treasure (and take care of this time dammit), and have it done right (no hidden junction boxes or crazy electric here) first and foremost, but while saving as much of the charm that makes this place special as possible.

I do understand your dilemma of falling in love with the house. IF I didn't live where I do now, rather, in my previous house (AKA The Old House) I would be moving in instead of flipping, even thought it doesn't fit what I need from a house very well and is WAY to big for me. Old houses have a charm to them that you have to experience to understand.

I have a spot in the house for "cool stuff" I find, like a dated piece of lath and a offerings envelope from 1944. I will offer this to the buyers if they want it, and if not, see if the historical society would like it instead. You may have to compromise from a complete restore to a nice "restomod" (restored yet modified/modernized) house, but it doesn't mean you have to lose the history or interest in the history in the process. I think that caring about that will make you really problem shoot and ponder every serious decision and help you turn out a great house that a buyer will love. My house just wants to be loved again, and it needs a family back. I am going to do my darndest to give it that-and I imagine if you do decide to continue on the flip route, you will do the same for your place.

Also...if you managed to get through that...MORE PICS!!

And lastly-remember which ever way you go, keep your sense of humor. Nothing about this (flipping, restoring, renovating) older homes is without challenges. Here's a piece of advice a friend that was a contractor gave me years ago, and it is just the simple truth. A person built it, with wood, nails, time and money-a person can fix it with wood, nails, time and money (obviously it's a generalization about wood and nails but time and money is a given).

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

Ok because I am in an old house mood, I stalked out your house. Interesting comps, seems like quite an eclectic mix with an opportunity to make decent money. AND it looks like historic rehabs are worth something, although I see more on the market at high prices than sold-of course it was a brief look. I think you probably have more leeway than I do to really work with this place-and it sounds like you might already have good bones like roof and HVAC.

So here's my thought still not knowing if you're flipping or keeping. Visit your historical society and set them on the history of it. See if you can find a group on FB for that area and find out if anyone has info about it-if it's a neighborhood with neighbors that haven't moved a lot, neighbors can be a great resource. Libraries with searchable articles are great too. Be sure to ask the historical society if the streets have been renamed or renumbered-that can make searching hard (this happened where the bungalow project is). Ancestry.com is a favorite for looking up the owners histories-and you may find surviving family members with old photos and memories of the house, which can be invaluable when trying to put things back the way they were. There's also the census records online, right off hand I can't recall how I found them last time when I was looking though (it's older ones that predated the Cottage I believe that are published).

Hunt down salvage places nearby so you have go-tos for missing parts and haunt craigslist like no tomorrow. If there are home tours (usually there are for the holidays, at least in bigger areas), go on one-you will find restored homes that will give you direction for yours. Don't be afraid to go to open houses, especially if it's a comp in your area.